Amazon's "Netflix of books" Arrives in the UK

XTankSlayerX

Amazon has launched its Kindle Unlimited service in the UK, offering subscribers unrestricted access to a library of thousands of titles for a monthly fee.

For £7.99 per month, Amazon's 'Spotify for books' gives users over 65,000 books and thousands of audiobooks, all of which can be enjoyed on Kindle ereaders and other devices running the Kindle app.

But while that collection of titles might be plenty, it's just a portion of Amazon's entire library, so you won't be getting the whole shebang.

You guys sure have had some luck over the past few days, first Xbox One gets a price drop; Now this? Whats next? 980's get a price cut or what?

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/amazon-s-kindle-unlimited-the-netflix-for-books-arrives-in-the-uk-1266619

You guys sure have had some luck over the past few days, first Xbox One gets a price drop; Now this? Whats next? 980's get a price cut or what?

Even at £399 the Xbox one would be the equivalent to ~$650 if you converted it though :P

970s are like £250 which is about right, about £20 more than a 770. And then the gtx980 was like £460 last time I looked which price/perf wise isn't really worth it compared to 970. Heck for £40 more you can SLI 970s :P

But Britain is still cheaper than some places to buy stuff :)

£7.99 a month? hmmm seems a bit steep, unless your borrowing expensive books it will be hard to justify that price.

I like to read and I love my E-reader but right now I'm only reading a few books a year, currently on Book 2 of A Song of Ice an Fire AKA Game of Thrones and I tend to only read a few chapters before bed so its taking me ages to get through it lol. At £7.99 a month it would be cheaper to outright buy a book or two. My opinion anyway.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Even at £399 the Xbox one would be the equivalent to ~$650 if you converted it though :P

970s are like £250 which is about right, about £20 more than a 770. And then the gtx980 was like £460 last time I looked which price/perf wise isn't really worth it compared to 970. Heck for £40 more you can SLI 970s :P

But Britain is still cheaper than some places to buy stuff :)

I think you can find Palit variants for £430 now. 

still not worth it. gtx970 offers 80% of the performance at ~60% of the price

I agree, the 970 is the new price to performance king.

I agree, the 970 is the new price to performance king.

for now :P

amd have some stuff to say tomorrow. hopefully about how they're going to cut their tdp by 40%

I don't like subscription services. If Amazon were to make this service and Audible like Steam instead of Netflix, I would be all over that.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

for now :P

amd have some stuff to say tomorrow. hopefully about how they're going to cut their tdp by 40%

Sounds nice but I don't know how they can continue to increase performance and cut power by that great an amount. 

I tried the free month. It's awful. Such a small selection compared to their overall library

Someone is going to dump them all onto bittorrent.

I hate to break it to you, but every single book that will become part of this service is already in a Torrent somewhere :P

Plus I'm not 100% sure about this, but Kindle books most likely have DRM of some sort via the Kindle App. Not saying it can't be broken of course, but there's no need when you can pretty much download a pirated version of any ebook already...

Not that you should. Services like this are kickass because it promotes affordable access to things people would either pirate or go without. Anyone outside of an extremely poor nation that pirates things that are available on Steam Sale for $5 or on Netflix for $8/month are basically asses (in my personal opinion only of course - many disagree with me about this). Oh and I'm not implying you're one of those people btw :)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I hate to break it to you, but every single book that will become part of this service is already in a Torrent somewhere :P

Plus I'm not 100% sure about this, but Kindle books most likely have DRM of some sort via the Kindle App. Not saying it can't be broken of course, but there's no need when you can pretty much download a pirated version of any ebook already...

Not that you should. Services like this are kickass because it promotes affordable access to things people would either pirate or go without. Anyone outside of an extremely poor nation that pirates things that are available on Steam Sale for $5 or on Netflix for $8/month are basically asses (in my personal opinion only of course - many disagree with me about this). Oh and I'm not implying you're one of those people btw :)

I subscribe to Netflix and have a 200+ item Steam library, the existence of this is making me want to consider a Kindle paperwhite and subscribing. I love to read but I don't want a briefcase full of books.

I have never read an ebook or used a Kindle but I always wanted to try it.

I subscribe to Netflix and have a 200+ item Steam library, the existence of this is making me want to consider a Kindle paperwhite and subscribing. I love to read but I don't want a briefcase full of books.

I have never read an ebook or used a Kindle but I always wanted to try it.

The concept is fantastic (Ebooks in general). Books are cumbersome and heavy. Sure I love the feeling of reading a real book, but in reality that means I can carry only a couple books on me. If I go on vacation, having ebooks means I only pack my Tablet or an ereader instead of 10 pounds of books.

Maybe this is your chance to try it out. Sub for a month, get access to 65,000 books, all for the cost of 2 ebooks (less actually). So if you read 2 ebooks in that month, you've made it worthwhile, and can always cancel after the first month.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)