PCIe spec nomenclature

rovor

I love LTT, and especially now TechQuickie! It has become a quick and simple place to send people in need of knowledge, most of the time Linus knows what's up, and he doesn't, he says so.

The one thing that kills me, is when I speak with engineers and read articles written by people involved in the PCIe development, they ALL say the 'x' as 'by'. Beck, even JJ from Asus says it correctly, and Maximum PC used to circa 2004, not sure if they still do... So my question, why doesn't anybody say it correctly? Is it ignorance, or does nobody even care?

Because personally, I am frustrated by the misuse of common words...

I say trailer, you think mobile home.

I say mobile home you think RV.

I say RV, you think mobile home...

What happened to consistency for the sake of communication, saying 'ex'16 or 16'ex' has never been correct, I think it has only proliferated because of the internet, but I distinctly recall reading over and over in the early 2000's about how it isn't pronounced 'ex', but the x stands for 'by'... No more excuses folks...

That is my useless rant for the day.

Sorry for off-topic

It means times/muliplied by.

One lane x however many lanes are on the slot.

You're back!!!!!

Askew has been back, just lurking.

I was just surprised and overjoyed to see him post again...

It means times/muliplied by.

One lane x however many lanes are on the slot.

YOU LIED

i was heart broken

Don't speak 

I know what you're thinking 

I don't need your reasons 

Don't tell me cause it hurts

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Say 16 LANES and call it a day.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Okay, Before I go and read all of the angry responses, I apologize for this post, I was half asleep when I made it, and I tend to rant when half asleep, that and the medications for my cancer and kidney failure make me a bit... Wonky... Sorry... Ugh, now I have to read all of this...

SORRY SORRY SORRY.

Well, I guess my issue with the nomenclature is that it isn't what it was meant to be. For those that say it is a multiplication of bandwidth, that doesn't entirely make sense, because we would be calling them x64 PCIe slot, since the bandwidth has tripled since rev. 1. I was hoping someone well versed would help me out here, but I suppose when  so many people are comfortable saying things incorrectly, that the incorrect way of saying something, for all intents and purposes, becomes the colloquial way of saying a given thing.

Thanks for helping me to clear that up...

The times (X)  is related to the number of lanes and the version (3.0)is related to the bandwidth of the lane. So its times. So no slot has 64.