Sapphire Radeon R9 290X TRI-X OC vs GTX 970

manzir

Guys, I just bought 2 Sapphire Radeon R9 290X TRI-X OC in crossfire for $650.00 in total.

Should I return those two and buy the new GTX 970 in SLI instead? they would cost me $660.00 from amazon

No. 290X out performs 970. Why would you want to have less performance for 10$ more ?

Spoiler

The R9 290X is slightly more powerful but it consumes A LOT more power and run's way hotter especially for a crossfire setup so the cards in ubber mode are very likely to overheat and throttle down...the 970's makes a lot more sence for dual gpu...i would return the 290X if you can...SLI scalling is also superior to crossfire...nvida as a lot of new features with maxwell as well AND the 970 overclock like a boss and will beat the 290x when both are overclocked.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

No. 290X out performs 970. Why would you want to have less performance for 10$ more ?

This is wrong 290x often gets outperformed buy the GTX 970. Plus add to the fact that the GTX 970 OC better and run cooler the choice is clear GTX 970 FTW ! Stock for Stock and OC for OC the 290x is faster in only 3 out of 17 games tested ! http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/6.html

The R9 290X is slightly more powerful but it consumes A LOT more power and run's way hotter especially for a crossfire setup so the cards in ubber mode are very likely to overheat and throttle down...the 970's makes a lot more sence for dual gpu...i would return the 290X if you can...SLI scalling is also superior to crossfire...nvida as a lot of new features with maxwell as well AND the 970 overclock like a boss and will beat the 290x when both are overclocked.

Has a point. I don't know about a GTX970 OC'ed beating a 290X OC'ed but it's true that lower TDP translates to colder cards in multi card setups. 

Spoiler

290x is slower. Plus add in OCing and the 970 is much faster. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/6.html

SLI scalling is also superior to crossfire...

Calling the bull.

The crossfire scailing on the 290 amd 290x using XDMA is superior to the scailing seen with SLI generally (NINJA EDIT:) in previous generations. (nvidia may have improved it with the 900 series but I have not seen and slides or info on this)

But yeas 970 will run cooler (But with the aftermarket cooler on those 290x's I don't think they will be throttling.)

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Has a point. I don't know about a GTX970 OC'ed beating a 290X OC'ed but it's true that lower TDP translates to colder cards in multi card setups. 

Stock for stock the 970 is faster than 290x ... I don't know what koolaid you been drinking but 970 is a better faster cheaper card through and through.

yes, and the new maxwell architecture overclock like nothing we've seen so far...a 30% clockspeed is within reach which is awesome...and the new features are awesome...and the power consumption difference is such that at the end of the year it will be litteraly tens of dollars saved on power bills.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

290x is slower. Plus add in OCing and the 970 is much faster. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/6.html

I stand corrected.

I don't know if I would go through the trouble of returning products, paying for shipping, getting a refund and buying something slightly more expensive. Go with what you think is best for you.

Spoiler

Stock for stock the 970 is faster than 290x ... I don't know what koolaid you been drinking but 970 is a better faster cheaper card through and through.

Page 12 and up for gaming results, the 290X is a faster card at stock clock speed...only in bioshock (which is known to highly favor nvidia) which the 970 beats the 290X

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,12.html

It's very close in fact i would call a tie, but the overclocking headroom, new features and much less powerconsumption makes the 970 the obvious choice by far.

yes, and the new maxwell architecture overclock like nothing we've seen so far...a 30% clockspeed is within reach which is awesome...and the new features are awesome...and the power consumption difference is such that at the end of the year it will be litteraly tens of dollars saved on power bills.

Yea I've seen some overclocking results. 1500 + MHz core. DAMN.

Seems NVidia has it going on these days ! 

Spoiler

Yea I've seen some overclocking results. 1500 + MHz core. DAMN.

Seems NVidia has it going on these days !

yeah it's awesome that they've launched those cards AMD will now go back to the drawing board and come back with a 300$ card that will compete with them! :D

I stand corrected.

I don't know if I would go through the trouble of returning products, paying for shipping, getting a refund and buying something slightly more expensive. Go with what you think is best for you.

Admirable of you to see the facts. Some people dont even when they are staring right at the facts.

It's very close in fact i would call a tie, but the overclocking headroom, new features and much less powerconsumption makes the 970 the obvious choice by far.

For anyone buying a new GPU in the 320-420 US bracket the 970 is a no brainier. I am just not so sure that it is sensible to trade in the ones the OP has to switch too it from a very compatible setup.

Edit: I was being rude, Ignore that ... you saw nothing.
System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Admirable of you to see the facts. Some people dont even when they are staring right at the facts.

The thing though is I searched and searched and none of these benchmarks mention if they OC or not. The 290X triX the OP is talking about OCs a fair bunch and if the benchmarks are on a reference 290x, I can understand the results going for the 970 easily.

Spoiler

For anyone buying a new GPU in the 320-420 US bracket the 970 is a no brainier. I am just not so sure that it is sensible to trade in the ones the OP has to switch too it from a very compatible setup.

up to him...i would say it depends how much he pays for electricity and if heat is a concern with the case and psu he has them running on...i would trade them for sure.

Page 12 and up for gaming results, the 290X is a faster card at stock clock speed...only in bioshock (which is known to highly favor nvidia) which the 970 beats the 290X

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,12.html

The way I see it @ stock for stock being that Guru3D has the 290x as slightly faster than the 970 overall and TPU @ stock for stock has the 970 being a bit faster the overwhelming win goes to the 970 because it costs much less money and has at a minimum comparable performance to the 290x without considering OCing in which the 970 will highhandedly out maneuver the 290x.

Edit: I was being rude, Ignore that ... you saw nothing.

I actually extended him a pretty high complement on they way he handled himself when some facts were presented.

.SLI scalling is also superior to crossfire...

You where correct about everything but this. Ever since the HD2900 days Crossfire has scaled better (although the 2900 did blow chunks... of molten lava out the back of your case).