Upgrade to 980?

Evostatic343

so i have a 2 780ti s for a triple 1440p monitor setup. is it beneficial to upgrade to 2 980s given that they have more ram?

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

so i have a 2 780ti s for a triple 1440p monitor setup. is it beneficial to upgrade to 2 980s given that they have more ram?

No. One 980 will be worse then two 780s, even with more VRAM

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Somewhat since you're running at such high resolutions

is 2 980s better than 2 780ti ?

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

he said he would upgrade to two 980's.

(First world problems)

I cant even hold all these cuda cores

Tbh I wouldn't bother upgrading from 2x780ti. The performance gain even with the extra vram would be negligible. If you're keen to upgrade I'd possibly wait it out for a couple of months as they'll most likely release a 980ti variant down the line which may be what you're after given your setup. 

"Pass the Potatoes." - Richard Dawkins

Well there would be gain in a few fps, but is it worth it? I think no. The power consumption would go down dramatically though!
But this sounds like such a first world problem! :D

Tbh I wouldn't bother upgrading from 2x780ti. The performance gain even with the extra vram would be negligible. If you're keen to upgrade I'd possibly wait it out for a couple of months as they'll most likely release a 980ti variant down the line which may be what you're after given your setup. 

That's right! We know all the GPU companions too well now. Nvidia will release a GTX 980 Ti right after you buy 2 980's

That's right! We know all the GPU companions too well now. Nvidia will release a GTX 980 Ti right after you buy 2 980's

ya thats wht im thinking

Wait till like SDR for kepler and you'll be good.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

He has two 780tis not 780s

And hes asking if two 980s will perform better than two 780tis which they will but only by a few fps, so it's not worth upgrading since he would loose several hundred dollars.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ya thats wht im thinking

If the 980 ti has more vram than the normal 980 then it's probably worth thinking about upgrading. But what are you going to do with those 2 780 ti's after?

The funny thing is the if you actually knew about GPU's you'd know that the 980 ti doesn't exist. xD (little bit of sarcasm) 

If the 980 ti has more vram than the normal 980 then it's probably worth thinking about upgrading. But what are you going to do with those 2 780 ti's after?

There is not 980ti look at the die they don't need one. it's gk104 for the next 2 generations of mobile. if anything it'll just be a die shrink of of the 980

I'd wait for the 8gig models before upgrading

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

The funny thing is the if you actually knew about GPU's you'd know that the 980 ti doesn't exist. xD (little bit of sarcasm) 

There is not 980ti look at the die they don't need one. it's gk104 for the next 2 generations of mobile. if anything it'll just be a die shrink of of the 980

I'd wait for the 8gig models before upgrading

980 Ti Boost will come after the launch of the 980 Ti LOL

980 Ti Boost will come after the launch of the 980 Ti LOL

I'm pretty sure they've just leaked pictures of the new 980 TI BoostZ. (Don't be jelly of my paint skills)

post-21149-0-73091400-1411322343_thumb.j

"Pass the Potatoes." - Richard Dawkins