Need help making a 4k gaming/ rendering PC

Go to solution Solved by JuTheBarbarian,

Here's what I came up with ....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($605.99 @ DirectCanada) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($417.93 @ DirectCanada) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($259.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($224.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($702.84 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($702.84 @ Newegg Canada) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($149.97 @ DirectCanada) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $3916.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-20 16:19 EDT-0400

I got rid of the second solid state drive because 512GB is enough for what you want to do and after that I simply added another 2TB HDD for extra storage.

As far as the graphics cards go, with the rate of diminishing returns I just will never seem to recommend a 3-way SLI setup, especially when you can simply get 2 more powerful cards which will probably yield better performance (with less diminishing returns) while costing you less in your electricity bill. The less graphics cards you can get away with, the better things tend to be methinks....

As far as the Processor I beefed it up to a 5930k, it has the same amount of cores as the 5820k but the cores work faster which should help in gaming and rendering performance (it seems to be a good blend of both).

For the RAM I removed the 2nd 16GB kit and just left you with 1 16GB kit. A smooth gaming experience only requires 8GB of RAM, while most people using computers for professional applications (rendering and the like) mostly recommend 12GB. So 16GB should be more than enough. (Also note the fact that I'm pretty sure these recommendations were made for DDR3 RAM and your are using DDR4 which is much faster than DDR3.)

As far as the OS goes, I myself would go with windows 8.1 but at this stage it's more of a preference thing really. I would recommend however that you either get it from Microsoft directly or pick it up in a computer supply store. I've heard that some sites that claim to sell it for a really cheap price don't give you legal copies as the are simply not legal retailers for windows.

Anywhoo, that's what I'd do. I hope this helped you out!!!!

Hi,

I'm looking at making a new gaming / video rendering PC, I have a "limited budget" 4k$ and want something that could :

1. Handle 4k gamming and look butter smooth (60+FPS)
  2. Have powerfull, rendering capability
  3. Be less expensive if possible (note I'm in Canada, so price are often higher than in the US)

I'm not tech savvy, this is why I'm asking some questions here in order to prevent myself from committing a bad mistake or paying for stuff that won't work here are the parts:

link to the build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Seiko1/saved/mXV2FT

CPU

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core

CPU Cooler

NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid 

Motherboard

Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 

Memory

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400  

Storage

Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" SSD   

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM   

Video Card

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE  

Case

NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition (White) ATX Full Tower

Power Supply

EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Keyboard

Corsair Vengeance K70

Mouse

Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser

Feel free to let me know if the part choice is terrible, but note that I selected the Asus mobo, of Asus 5-Way Optimization because it's the only way I'll feel safe to OC a PC by myself (not looking at extreme OC either).

Thx for reading, and for your help

I  would get dual 980's instead. 

i would also get one regular intel SSD then a M.2 SSD.

And if you do go with TRI 970's, I think a bigger power supply would be needed. But I know maxwell is very power efficient. 

And games perform better on windows 8 and you can make it like windows 7 with classic start and boot to desktop. I never use those dumb bubble things. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Yeah as above. dual 980's, Two cards scale better than 3.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Hi,

I'm looking at making a new gaming / video rendering PC, I have a "limited budget" 4k$ and want something that could :

• Handle 4k gamming and look butter smooth (60+FPS)
  • Have powerfull, rendering capability
  • Be less expensive if possible (note I'm in Canada, so price are often higher than in the US)
I'm not tech savvy, this is why I'm asking some questions here in order to prevent myself from committing a bad mistake or paying for stuff that won't work here are the parts:

link to the build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Seiko1/saved/mXV2FT

CPU

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core

CPU Cooler

NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid

Motherboard

Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3

Memory

Storage

Video Card

Case

NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition (White) ATX Full Tower

Power Supply

EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Keyboard

Corsair Vengeance K70

Mouse

Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser

Feel free to let me know if the part choice is terrible, but note that I selected the Asus mobo, of Asus 5-Way Optimization

because it's the only way I'll feel safe to OC a PC by myself (not looking at extreme OC either).

Thx for reading, and for your help

Woop! This will pretty much do any work you want, if your game support SLI 60fps on 4k should be easy to archive. But I do agree that dual 980 is better

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($419.79 @ DirectCanada) 

Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($417.93 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($545.48 @ Newegg Canada) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($149.97 @ DirectCanada) 

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ Canada Computers) 

Total: $3925.75

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-20 16:04 EDT-0400

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Alright, I want to thank everyone for the very fast and really helpful answers... It's the first time I actually use this community for help by posting, and I must admit it's pretty nice to see how fast you guys are at finding solutions.

But I'm curious as to why going single SSD, vs Raid 0 double SSD?

Also sorry i hadn't noted that going Raid on my SSD was the plan here :P

Alright, I want to thank everyone for the very fast and really helpful answers... It's the first time I actually use this community for help by posting, and I must admit it's pretty nice to see how fast you guys are at finding solutions.

Because (in my experience) RAID 0 is unstable.

Roses are red, violets are blue, computers are awesome, and so are you!

You waste less money, and you dont get that of an improve with RAID... 225$ applied on other things are better ;)

You waste less money, and you dont get that of an improve with RAID... 225$ applied on other things are better ;)

Thx for the insight, and the build you gave me look great... thx alot

Thx for the insight, and the build you gave me look great... thx alot

You welcome ;)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($259.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

I got rid of the second solid state drive because 512GB is enough for what you want to do and after that I simply added another 2TB HDD for extra storage.

As far as the graphics cards go, with the rate of diminishing returns I just will never seem to recommend a 3-way SLI setup, especially when you can simply get 2 more powerful cards which will probably yield better performance (with less diminishing returns) while costing you less in your electricity bill. The less graphics cards you can get away with, the better things tend to be methinks....

As far as the Processor I beefed it up to a 5930k, it has the same amount of cores as the 5820k but the cores work faster which should help in gaming and rendering performance (it seems to be a good blend of both).

For the RAM I removed the 2nd 16GB kit and just left you with 1 16GB kit. A smooth gaming experience only requires 8GB of RAM, while most people using computers for professional applications (rendering and the like) mostly recommend 12GB. So 16GB should be more than enough. (Also note the fact that I'm pretty sure these recommendations were made for DDR3 RAM and your are using DDR4 which is much faster than DDR3.)

As far as the OS goes, I myself would go with windows 8.1 but at this stage it's more of a preference thing really. I would recommend however that you either get it from Microsoft directly or pick it up in a computer supply store. I've heard that some sites that claim to sell it for a really cheap price don't give you legal copies as the are simply not legal retailers for windows.

WOW!!! Thanks ALOT, I'm really not knowledgeable about just how much resource are used by program, and this really helps me understanding why you did the changes you guys did to my build.

I put win 7 on the build because I have acces to a student key with the university for 25$. and I will mostlikely change for win9 when it comes out.

WOW!!! Thanks ALOT, I'm really not knowledgeable about just how much resource are used by program, and this really helps me understanding why you did the changes you guys did to my build.

I put win 7 on the build because I have acces to a student key with the university for 25$. and I will mostlikely change for win9 when it comes out.

Yeah, like I said Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1 is more of a preference thing really and I probably wont beef up to windows 9 either unless there's something on it that I want but can't get anywhere else (and maybe not even then, I just like how the windows 8.1 UI is set up). But anywhoo, glad I could help! HAPPY BUILDING!