32bit to 64bit Windows

TomWeston

Hey guys. this is my first forum post ever so sorry if its a bit noobish.

My problem here is that my parents bought a new computer (pre-built) for themselves and it came installed with 32bit Windows 7. This was fine for them until my little brother decided he wanted to try and play Technic Pack for Minecraft on there. It has the maximum usable memory on 32bit Windows (around 3.25GB I think) but whenever my brother plays Technic Pack, it keeps saying "Minecraft has run out of memory". I would like to upgrade it so my brother could play Minecraft Technic Pack on there, but can't add more memory with the 32bit OS.

This Christmas I finished off my first computer build and I still have my retail copy of Windows 7, so my question is:

Could I use my 64bit Windows disc to install the 64bit version of Windows on to my parents' PC, and use the serial code on the Windows sticker that came with their PC to activate it?

Current Build:

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V LX   RAM - 8GB Corsair XMS-3 1333MHz                                         PSU - OCZ ZS Series 650w non-modular (Soon to be upgraded)

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570k                  Graphics Card - PowerColor HD 7870 PCS+ (non Taihiti-LE) HDD - 500GB Seagate Barracuda (Soon to be upgraded)

If the licence is being used on another PC, it not not be used again. Typically a Windows Product key will work on one PC at a time.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

From here on out just get 64-bit Windows, no need in handicapping yourself from going beyond the 3.X GB of RAM limit. Apps and even the OS demand more so instead of swapping (using the paging file) just get more RAM. I'm sure at first you won't notice the difference but if you do many thing at the same time or leave apps open you will notice. If you don't ever use the RAM going to 64-bit won't hurt you either.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

If the licence is being used on another PC, it not not be used again. Typically a Windows Product key will work on one PC at a time.
Sorry if I explained it badly, its not the product key from my current PC, but the product key from the original installation for my parents' PC; I would just be using the disc as a way to install the 64bit software on there.

You know the small Windows stickers that come on the side of Pre-Built PCs with the product key on them? I'd be using that to activate the OS, not the one that came with the disc I bought for my PC. So theoretically it is only one PC activated with that license key.

Windows licensing policies confuse me greatly :(

Current Build:

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V LX   RAM - 8GB Corsair XMS-3 1333MHz                                         PSU - OCZ ZS Series 650w non-modular (Soon to be upgraded)

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570k                  Graphics Card - PowerColor HD 7870 PCS+ (non Taihiti-LE) HDD - 500GB Seagate Barracuda (Soon to be upgraded)

From here on out just get 64-bit Windows, no need in handicapping yourself from going beyond the 3.X GB of RAM limit. Apps and even the OS demand more so instead of swapping (using the paging file) just get more RAM. I'm sure at first you won't notice the difference but if you do many thing at the same time or leave apps open you will notice. If you don't ever use the RAM going to 64-bit won't hurt you either.
Yeah, the computer with the 32bit Operating System was one that my parents bought pre-built without asking me whether it was suitable first haha, I have 64bit on my gaming rig, so that's all good for my needs :D

Current Build:

I'm not sure that the parents PC will allow you to use its product key, i think the OEM licenses are locked to 32 or 64 bit and not both, if it was a retail version then you can probably use it fine though.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I'm not sure that the parents PC will allow you to use its product key, i think the OEM licenses are locked to 32 or 64 bit and not both, if it was a retail version then you can probably use it fine though.
Ahh I see, I feared that may be the case. Thank you for your help. :)

Current Build:

Install the 64 bit then call Microsoft and tell the Indian lady "you just upgraded hard drives because the old one failed" and you'll be good to go

-quoting Linus him self. http://youtu.be/SxNyDBSBNxg

Just make sure the cpu on your family pc is 64 bit capable

i.e. x64 not just x86 capable

Im not sure if you can just switch from 32 bit to 64 bit as I would consider them to be different produces (I could be wrong now, let us know how it goes)

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

Often OEM computers will have a dedicated restore partition with either 32 or 64 bit windows for you to choose to restore.

when you turn on the computer it should show you what to press to begin restore often f11. and just see if the option for 64bit restore is there.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

You might be able to use the product key I'm not sure if it will work with a 64-bit copy but I assume it will and you are going to have to formatt the PC you can't upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit or at least I don't think you can.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, however after a lot of Googling I have found out that the particular Pentium 4 in my parents' PC isn't 64-bit compatible unfortunately. Didn't realise this at the time of posting and should probably done more research first before creating a thread about it.

Current Build:

Once a windows key has been used its gone forever, sucks yeah but its true, unless you bought a multi-pc pack which would then obviously work