Is 120 FPS noticieable in EVERY game?

Juliogol

Hi guys!

I own an Asus VG248QE 120hz and a Korean 1440p monitor that 60hz. I bouight the Asus one nearly thrree months ago and I couldn't be happier about it. The difference when playing Battlefield 4 is AMAZING.

But, here's a question, could it be that when playing in other non FPS games, the difference is barely noticeable? For example, If you have to play, say, Tomb Raider, or FIFA 15, would you game in the larger 27" 1440p monitor but only 60 FPS, or would you go for less resolution on the ASUS 1080p one, but get the better 120 FPS smoothnes?

What do you guys think?

Knowledge don't take space. Don't know something? Just ask nicely!

Personally i would get a higher res and 60hz.

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

ive always wanted a 120/144hz monitor, seems exciting and smooth and all.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

In MMOs like Starcraft, RTS LIke Civ 5, Strategy like Company of Heroes and the ARMA series I hardly notice the difference

Really the only games I notice the 120hz in are FPS like BF4, BF3, PAYDAY, Crysis 3, Crysis 2 etc, also racing games like DiRT.

1440p would be my choice.

60fps is still awesome.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

In some games you won't notice much because it has a "forced" update rate.
But you will notice an overall smoothness over 60fps.

My opinion on this is wait for Higher res monitors to get 120/144Hz (the monitors now are meant for early adopters and for those whom requires the extra desktop real estate)
I do believe there is a 1440p 120Hz monitor from ASUS

• CPU
    Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3 14c-28t @ 2,8GHz
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
    2x16GB DDR4 Crucial ECC @2166MHz
  • GPU
    XFX R9 Nano 4GB HBM @1000MHz
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 
  • Intel SSD DC S3600 800GB

Just to clarify I own both monitors but just curious to know if the difference is noticeable in all games or just first personas shooters.

Hi guys!

I own an Asus VG248QE 120hz and a Korean 1440p monitor that 60hz. I bouight the Asus one nearly thrree months ago and I couldn't be happier about it. The difference when playing Battlefield 4 is AMAZING.

But, here's a question, could it be that when playing in other non FPS games, the difference is barely noticeable? For example, If you have to play, say, Tomb Raider, or FIFA 15, would you game in the larger 27" 1440p monitor but only 60 FPS, or would you go for less resolution on the ASUS 1080p one, but get the better 120 FPS smoothnes?

What do you guys think?

For the processing power required to run 1080p or 1440p at 120/144hz you'd probably be able to get away with 4k, which looks much more stunning. The only games high refresh rates directly affect are first person games like Skyrim. Plus the colors are bad if you get a TN panel, and if you manage to get a 120hz IPS panel the input lag defeats any gaming advantage of the high refresh rates anyway.

I don't really think they have a place on the market, and 4k is vastly superior if you can find a reasonably priced IPS panel.

But yeah mostly visible in FPS games.

I know I' probably not supposed to notice, but I can get really sick in front of a computer and then discover the refresh rate on some sucker's computer it set to 59Hz...

After I set it to 60 again I start feeling better :)

Anyone else experiencing anything like that?

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 

Just to clarify I own both monitors but just curious to know if the difference is noticeable in all games or just first personas shooters.

oh I didn't notice you had it at first ^^

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 

In MMOs like Starcraft, RTS LIke Civ 5, Strategy like Company of Heroes and the ARMA series I hardly notice the difference

Really the only games I notice the 120hz in are FPS like BF4, BF3, PAYDAY, Crysis 3, Crysis 2 etc, also racing games like DiRT.

Starcraft isn't an mmo, it's an rts. 120hz is if you're playing first person shooters competitively for a living. For everything else, it's overrated.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Starcraft isn't an mmo, it's an rts. 120hz is if you're playing first person shooters competitively for a living. For everything else, it's overrated.

Fuck that was suppose to go with Civ 5, thanks. 

Yeah it's alright to have an opinion but I have my own. 

Honestly i can barely tell the difference after 60 FPS, i just turn on V-Sync and my computer runs everything on ultra nice and quietly without having to work hard. When i turn it off my FPS goes much higher but i really cant say that its worth the higher temps, sound and power consumption. 

I have a BenQ xl2420t, and it runs 120hz. I configured it to run that everywhere that it can. So I've been using it for half a year already and I went to try and test 60hz and I feel like it was comparing 60hz to 30hz. I'm not trolling or some nonsense, it really just feels that way after being adjusted to 120hz for so long.

EDIT :  OMG my first like I feel so special. Oh, and in reference to my comment, I say that also as a person who spent the first three quarters of their gaming life on xbox with 30fps. I've gotten adept at this sort of stuff, but to be honest I think I can eventually just get used to 60hz (even though I dont want), but never again at 30, that's just plain unacceptable. 

Overclock the 1440p monitor for nice colours and smooth motion ;) Higher refresh rates are noticeable even in low action games IMO.

Overclock the 1440p monitor for nice colours and smooth motion ;)

Tried But won't go over 66hz :D