DDR2 transition to DDR3 was the same thing - looser timings and near-equal clock speeds in the beginning. Depending on how retail edge winter sale shakes out, my upgrade may be waiting for longer than I initially planned.

re: results

I'm not overly surprised at the apples-to-apples results. Like Linus/Luke mentioned on the WAN show a few weeks ago, it seems to take time for manufacturers to really unlock the power of the new tech, so maybe in a year from now we'll see truly insane results.

LinusMediaGroup, whoever edits these videos, can you make your videos end with the longer outro? I love that techie music.

I'm not trying to be critical; I'm just trying to help, but the amazon link in for the DDR3 memory in the OP leads to itunes... might want to fix that.

Ever since discovering your channel LTT, I have learnt more about computers and whatnot than I ever have in my whole lifetime. So thank you.

Also, I'm not surprised with the outcome. I personally do not need DDR4 because my CPU wouldn't match it. I don't even keep up with the newest and latest technology because I just buy what I need in order to run the games I play.

This video has bad frame timings causing juddering (maybe due to 24fps render).

The extra bandwidth would be especially useful for integrated GPUs. Once DDR4 RAM prices go down (2015-2016?), the mainstream would feel its advantages.

No comparisons of the power consumption? Thought that was supposed to be the major improvement right now.

Ok, hold on.

When you were talking about the motherboards, you crapped on about how good they are for a good 35 seconds, which is much more than you needed. What the hell does onboard audio, ethernet ports, cpu power designs, pcb and heatsink colour, Crossfire/Sli support and LED lighting on the board have to do with memory!?

This really feels like you've been paid to say that or you're buttering up Gigabyte for some sponsor spots or free stuff to review. If that's the case, whatever. I don't care. What I care about is transparency. Tell us about this or make what you're doing clear to us and I'll be happy. Hell, all you have to do is make some stupid joke about wanting Gigabyte to send you something for saying that and that would probably be enough.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Gigabyte provided the boards for this video and I told them if I liked them I'd talk about them.

I haven't really benched and overclocked on a GBT board in a couple generations and I was impressed with how far they've come particularly their uefi implementation

Linus

I was extremely surprised by the results for gaming. I might not upgrade to DDR4 this upgrade cycle. The extra cost does not seem to justify the lack of performance boost.

Hey, Linus. Why did you go for 4790k instead off something like 4930k?

They were trying to keep the systems as equivalent as possible. The 4930K has an older CPU architecture than the 4790K and 5820K, so performance differences could have been due to the CPU architecture rather than the memory.

I must say, this is very telling. DDR4 still has a ways to go, as of right now I don't think it's worth the price. It just get's worked into the premium that you pay for the X99 chip set right now. Thanks for the benchmarks Linus!

If God exists, you'll want to know Him

If God is Christ, He died so that you could. (Romans 5:6-11)

• 6 months later...

does a ddr4 socket support also ddr3 ram?

No, DDR4 DIMMs have 288 pins while DDR3 DIMMs have 240 pins. The modules also have a notch in a different position, preventing installation of DDR4 in a DDR3 socket or vice versa.

Intel is working on the UniDIMM which would possibly allow installation of either DDR3 or DDR4 in Skylake motherboards.

gg m8 on Necro Posting

Because he had a hard drive.

• 1 year later...