microsoft releases universal keyboard for android, iOS and windows tablets

AlexGoesHigh

UMK_top_open_black.0.0_standard_800.0.jp

in a bit of a surprising move, MS just released a tablet keyboard that also works whit ipads and android tablets of any kind, oh and other windows tablets to.

the keyboard features an android home key and a cmd key, but it lacks a windows key, though i'm assuming maybe the cmd key could work as super on windows regardless, but the lack of at least the symbol is pretty weird, it has an internal battery that works up to six month on a full charge and a with just 10 minutes it can hold a full day of heavy usage, according to the press release, has an integrated cover that works as the stand which can be positioned independently from the keyboard, a dedicated switch for the different OS's it works for and it comes in either full black or white with silver housing

UMK_comp_black_verge_super_wide.jpg

UMK_slightly_open_black_verge_super_wide

UMK_top_open_black_verge_super_wide.jpg

UMK_comp_grey_verge_super_wide.jpg

UMK_slightly_open_grey_verge_super_wide.

UMK_top_open_grey_verge_super_wide.jpg

mk_umk_productfeatures.jpg

it releases in october with a MSRP of 79.95USD

i have to admit this a weird product for microsoft, for a while they have pushed its service beyond windows, but i never expected they would desing hardware to work whit other platforms to, they literally have the same product minus the cover available for windows an rt, i don't have nothing against this but i find it a bit weird non the less

source: The Verge, microsoft product page

off topic: does the forum was down for more that an hour i couldn't connect for a while :/

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It looks rather interesting. Not sure how well it would sell given the price, but if it works and works well, then it should be fantastic

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I think I'd prefer the bluetooth one that worked with up to 3 devices that we saw last week

Looks quite smart actually!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Cool move, Microsoft, I like it. I'd rather sacrifice a few weeks of battery life for a thinner design though, it looks thicker than most notebooks nowadays...

If the keys are good on it (suface pro 3 quality or better) then it will be a tempting product I will admit.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I think I'd prefer the bluetooth one that worked with up to 3 devices that we saw last week

I have the Logitech K810 which I use to switch between my HTPC, PS3 and Nexus 10. It's backlit too.  ;)

us-glamour-lg.png

I have the Logitech K810 which I use to switch between my HTPC, PS3 and Nexus 10. It's backlit too.  ;)

us-glamour-lg.png

I really like that it's backlit but I prioritize the phone/tablet stand on the logitec one that was just announced.

bluetooth-multi-device-keyboard-k480.0.j

Hoenstly, Microsoft is pretty experienced and respected with making keyboards and a heck of a lot of people have Android and iOS tablets... it'd be stupid of them not to capitalise on that...

wow, Microsoft is actually being the good guy... that's surprising

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Is this an example of "If you can't beat them, join them"? 

I wonder what the build quality is like...

-Tony

Its not super weird. Microsoft have been making peripherals for years and years, they have had very similar products (recent one i remember was wedge keyboard).

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

thats pretty cool but its funny, does it work with a Surface Pro? It doesn't seem like it could handle the weight.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

lol, they will put the windows logo, andriod logo, say iPhone and iPad but will not put an Apple logo on their device no matter what.

lol, they will put the windows logo, andriod logo, say iPhone and iPad but will not put an Apple logo on their device no matter what.

probably because it involves money, i'm suspecting that

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here