First PC Build! Need opinion and help!

Antoine3152
Go to solution Solved by CowsGoRoar,

I heard that this CPU had better Overcloking capabilities. Should I get the i5-4690K instead ???

Yes, I'm glad you switched for an i5. You will not regret it, I have a 4770K and I regret it, I really should have got the i5.

The current plan is perfect. Nothing else to change

Hi, I plan on building a new PC (first one) in November or December around the sales. I am living in northern Ontario, Canada, and my budget is around 2500$-3000$. I will playmost games (Far Cry, Witcher, Skyrim, Etc.)  and do programming, web-browsing, etc on single GPU and single Monitor.  I am building because I got this crappy HP PC with a Radeon HD 7570 which lags 

on most game, when I bought this PC I did not know anything on PC or PC building. (Even if I AM a newb to PC building now, I am less worst than before :) ). I plan to be able to upgrade it after some years.

I also plan on overclocking my CPU and maybe my GPU. 

Here are the parts I picked now with the help of a friend and web browsing but I want to have real opinions on it from experienced builders.  : http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/antoine3152/saved/#savedbuild_1454855

Keep in mind that I am 100% sure with the case I chose. 

Also, Do I really need a conductive wrist wrap thingy to build my PC. 

Any thoughts are welcomed, Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Use Windows 7 instead of 8 because 8 is garbage. Everything else looks good. Just make sure you don't go too heavy with the overclock because you aren't using a custom liquid cooling setup.

It's something unpredictable. But in the end is right. I hope you've had the time of your life.

Hi, I plan on building a new PC (first one) in November or December around the sales. I am living in northern Ontario, Canada, and my budget is around 2500$-3000$. I will playmost games (Far Cry, Witcher, Skyrim, Etc.)  and do programming, web-browsing, etc on single GPU and single Monitor.  I am building because I got this crappy HP PC with a Radeon HD 7570 which lags 

on most game, when I bought this PC I did not know anything on PC or PC building. (Even if I AM a newb to PC building now, I am less worst than before :) ). I plan to be able to upgrade it after some years.

Here are the parts I picked now with the help of a friend and web browsing but I want to have real opinions on it from experienced builders.  : http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/antoine3152/saved/#savedbuild_1454855

The build looks great. If you want the best of the best in terms of CPU cooling (Not talking about custom loops), get the NZXT Kraken X61 if you plan to overclock to the max, but not saying the H100i is bad, just though I'd share that with you. I never used a anti-static wrist strap when I built my PC, I just remembered to constantly touch the metal frame of your case to discharge any static you may have accumulated.  I think you may be able to find an R9 290X for around a similar price to that 780, if you can, (you might not be able to) I would pick that up instead, just make sure it's not the reference cooler. Best of luck with building.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

And you definitely need and anti-static wrist wrap. For get the PCI-E wireless adapter. Just use a USB one. Better yet. Use an Ethernet cable.

It's something unpredictable. But in the end is right. I hope you've had the time of your life.

Your build looks good! The only things I would recommend is that you should definitely get Windows 7. Also if you really want great performance in games, you can get a GTX 780ti. It's only $200 and you will still be under your top budget. You do not need a band if you are careful. I did my first build on carpet. All you have to do isto make sure to touch a metal part of your case every once in a while to make sure you are grounded.

Welcome to LinusTechTips!

No you don't just remember to touch the plugged-in but off power supply every several minutes.

The build is very good, but you don't need an i7. It is for video rendering and other heavy-threaded stuff, which you don't do. The i5 4690K is a much better option. You also don't need 16 GB of RAM.

Here is your revised one. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions!  :)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/9wMXMp

Here are the parts I picked now with the help of a friend and web browsing but I want to have real opinions on it from experienced builders.  : http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/antoine3152/saved/#savedbuild_1457368

that build looks good but i would personally swap out the ssd for like a crucial m550,mx100,m500 simply because its just a better deal and put that extra savings towards a 780 TI or having 2 780s

you dont really need a static wrist band unless you live in a house made of carpet

Use Windows 7 instead of 8 because 8 is garbage. Everything else looks good. Just make sure you don't go too heavy with the overclock because you aren't using a custom liquid cooling setup.

God damnit, I hate people who call Windows 8 "garbage" because of a different UI they can ignore. Please go educate yourself before you start throwing false insults. Sure, Windows 7 is what we're all used to, it's what I was used to, but when I switched to Windows 8.1, guess what, you'll get used to it to. I just simply don't use the Metro UI. Not to mention the better optimization etc.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Few notes:

H100i is a bit much overrrated and many users have problems with it. I would definitely recomment NZXT kraken X61 or swiftech H220-X. Both are top notch and the h220-x is beautiful.

16GB is swag but if you want them,no problem.But if you want to save money somewhere,it's the ram.

Optical drive,EW :P

Completely remove the 780 because new graphics cards are coming out in a few days and you are building it in december ;)

Disregard the first post about 8.1 from darklordryan as he does not know what he's talking about.

And you do not need the strap. Just touch your hand to any metal part every few minutes and you are good to go.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

And you definitely need and anti-static wrist wrap. For get the PCI-E wireless adapter. Just use a USB one. Better yet. Use an Ethernet cable.

1. No you don't

2. I question your sanity about comparing a PCI-E wireless card to a USB wireless card

3. I agree. #EthernetMasterRace

I cant use Ethernet since the cable dosent go up in my room on the second floor, Ill check for the USB adapter. Thanks!!!

All of these builds are really overpriced for what they can do.

10/10 would ask for your opinion again.

that build looks good but i would personally swap out the ssd for like a crucial m550,mx100,m500 simply because its just a better deal and put that extra savings towards a 780 TI or having 2 780s

you dont really need a static wrist band unless you live in a house made of carpet

ill stick with the ssd since my sreind told me it should have a good sale on it but if not ill take your suggestion! Thanks!

Here's my suggestion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($364.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($104.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($173.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($172.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($375.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($109.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($489.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($489.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($151.80 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.95 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($99.79 @ DirectCanada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 2200BNHMWDTX1 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($25.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $2685.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 19:32 EDT-0400

Why i7?

Multitasking when programming I assume?

PSU is too much unless you plan on crazy overclocks and expanding to 2 GPUs. The AMD GPUs offer a better price to performance especially for single 1080p performance on all modern games, Nvidia, at least in this case, only matters if you need CUDA or care about any of their proprietary stuff. 16GB is irrelevant unless you're doing rendering of any kind or is the craziest multi tasker. The 840 Pro is unnecessary as any of the professional features are not applicable try the Evo or Crucial MX100 which sports a much better price to performance ratio. Maximus VII Hero is kind of expensive and unnecessary however by all means get it if you care about aesthetics. Lastly do you think you'll be planning to do anything with that 4790k and 16GB of RAM?

From what I've seen the only truly intensive task you listed is gaming unless your doing some really crazy coding thus this is likely a more optimized version of your build for less money.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.89 @ DirectCanada) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($213.95 @ DirectCanada) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($103.28 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($249.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($82.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($389.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NCIX) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $1589.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 19:33 EDT-0400

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Hi, I've build all different kinds of PCs for relatives, friends, clients and myself.

I've noticed you have quite a budget, but it's not about blowing it all on a kick-ass computer when you buy your parts, it's all about coming up with partlist that makes sense for you and your purposes.

With the CPU you went big with the i7 4790K, It's a great CPU but doesn't make a difference on games unless you are playing some very unoptimized games (or a very optimized one, lol). If you have to have it, go for it. I'd rather save my money instead of spending it on a 2 fps improvement.

You can go big with your overclocks, but getting a H100i and a ROG board will not make a difference on a moderate OC. For the everyday rig I don't push the clocks to the max, I just go with something that works nicely and is stable. You can save $50+ on the board and don't get such expensive cooling, a 212 Evo paired with almost any Z97 mobo will get you to a basic OC without an issue.

With the RAM, 8gb is enough for gaming, but if you are kinda of a memory hogger like me you'd want to make the jump to 16gb. I often find myself gaming, web browsing, coding and trying software on virtual machines all at the same time, so I know you can burn through RAM pretty fast.

That SSD is not worth it IMO, yeah the 840 pro is a beast but on high capacity SSDs all of them perform great with most controllers. The Crucial MX100 is a lot more cheaper than the 840 pro, and at 512GB it performs 95% as good. It costs $150 less, so yeah you will want it.

Now, this is where the build main purpose makes a big difference in components: GPU config. With this money you can go with a 1440p (hell, even 4k) or a multi-monitor gaming setup. If you want to stay at 1080p then a GTX 780, or R9 290, or R9 290X are more than enough, they really are. The R9 290 can be found for dirt cheap, considering is a very high end GPU. Unless you really really want to go Nvidia (there is not a single feature that makes a difference TBH), just go with a aftermarket cooled R9 290.

Case: I'm not going to go there, you seem to be set on the 750D, personally I find large cases impractical.

Optical drive? Come on, we are on 2014....
For the PSU, there is hardly a need to go over the EVGA SuperNova G2 850W, it has great cables, high end quality components and will cover your butt if you want to SLI/Crossfire. The Corsair PSU you picked are not bad, they are just not worth it. The G2 is only a bit more than $100, 80+ Gold, Fully modular, very quiet, has all the bells and whistles and brings to the table a 10 years warranty and an iron reputation.

For the OS there is hardly a reason to recommend Windows 7, Windows 8.1 is just a lot faster in general, and if you don't like the skin (modern UI) just get over it, install Start is Back and enjoy a much better OS that will not loose support from Microsoft in about a year (like Windows 7).

This is an example build I made, feel free to change it as your likings, every dollar you spend over this is just to cover personal preferences and a give you a "premium feel", but performance-wise your 2.4K builds will only be like 1-5 fps better than this one.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/dNJBFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/dNJBFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.89 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($32.21 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($159.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($224.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($82.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card  ($419.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1641.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 19:19 EDT-0400

still in your budget xD

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/cBgZWZ

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($599.96 @ DirectCanada) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($104.77 @ DirectCanada) 
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($539.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($259.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($249.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($104.79 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($659.00 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($151.80 @ DirectCanada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($179.99 @ NCIX) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.95 @ Vuugo) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($108.34 @ TigerDirect Canada) 
Total: $2977.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 19:42 EDT-0400

i know it's a dum build ^^

Why i7?

I heard that this CPU had better Overcloking capabilities. Should I get the i5-4690K instead ???

PSU is too much unless you plan on crazy overclocks and expanding to 2 GPUs. The AMD GPUs offer a better price to performance especially for single 1080p performance on all modern games, Nvidia, at least in this case, only matters if you need CUDA or care about any of their proprietary stuff. 16GB is irrelevant unless you're doing rendering of any kind or is the craziest multi tasker. The 840 Pro is unnecessary as any of the professional features are not applicable try the Evo or Crucial MX100 which sports a much better price to performance ratio. Maximus VII Hero is kind of expensive and unnecessary however by all means get it if you care about aesthetics. Lastly do you think you'll be planning to do anything with that 4790k and 16GB of RAM?

From what I've seen the only truly intensive task you listed is gaming unless your doing some really crazy coding thus this is likely a more optimized version of your build for less money.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.89 @ DirectCanada) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($213.95 @ DirectCanada) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($103.28 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($82.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($389.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NCIX) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $1589.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 19:33 EDT-0400

PSU is for future upgrabebility if I want to do sli. Thanks!!!

Hi, I've build all different kinds of PCs for relatives, friends, clients and myself.

I've noticed you have quite a budget, but it's not about blowing it all on a kick-ass computer when you buy your parts, it's all about coming up with partlist that makes sense for you and your purposes.

With the CPU you went big with the i7 4790K, It's a great CPU but doesn't make a difference on games unless you are playing some very unoptimized games (or a very optimized one, lol). If you have to have it, go for it. I'd rather save my money instead of spending it on a 2 fps improvement.

You can go big with your overclocks, but getting a H100i and a ROG board will not make a difference on a moderate OC. For the everyday rig I don't push the clocks to the max, I just go with something that works nicely and is stable. You can save $50+ on the board and don't get such expensive cooling, a 212 Evo paired with almost any Z97 mobo will get you to a basic OC without an issue.

With the RAM, 8gb is enough for gaming, but if you are kinda of a memory hogger like me you'd want to make the jump to 16gb. I often find myself gaming, web browsing, coding and trying software on virtual machines all at the same time, so I know you can burn through RAM pretty fast.

That SSD is not worth it IMO, yeah the 840 pro is a beast but on high capacity SSDs all of them perform great with most controllers. The Crucial MX100 is a lot more cheaper than the 840 pro, and at 512GB it performs 95% as good. It costs $150 less, so yeah you will want it.

Now, this is where the build main purpose makes a big difference in components: GPU config. With this money you can go with a 1440p (hell, even 4k) or a multi-monitor gaming setup. If you want to stay at 1080p then a GTX 780, or R9 290, or R9 290X are more than enough, they really are. The R9 290 can be found for dirt cheap, considering is a very high end GPU. Unless you really really want to go Nvidia (there is not a single feature that makes a difference TBH), just go with a aftermarket cooled R9 290.

Case: I'm not going to go there, you seem to be set on the 750D, personally I find large cases impractical.

Optical drive? Come on, we are on 2014....

For the PSU, there is hardly a need to go over the EVGA SuperNova G2 850W, it has great cables, high end quality components and will cover your butt if you want to SLI/Crossfire. The Corsair PSU you picked are not bad, they are just not worth it. The G2 is only a bit more than $100, 80+ Gold, Fully modular, very quiet, has all the bells and whistles and brings to the table a 10 years warranty and an iron reputation.

For the OS there is hardly a reason to recommend Windows 7, Windows 8.1 is just a lot faster in general, and if you don't like the skin (modern UI) just get over it, install Start is Back and enjoy a much better OS that will not loose support from Microsoft in about a year (like Windows 7).

This is an example build I made, feel free to change it as your likings, every dollar you spend over this is just to cover personal preferences and a give you a "premium feel", but performance-wise your 2.4K builds will only be like 1-5 fps better than this one.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/dNJBFT

Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/dNJBFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.89 @ DirectCanada)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($32.21 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ NCIX)

Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($159.99 @ NCIX)

Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($224.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($82.99 @ Canada Computers)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card  ($419.99 @ NCIX)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ NCIX)

Total: $1641.63

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 19:19 EDT-0400

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I will take your suggestion for the SSD, CPU and the OS. For the motherboard, it is only for the looks and Asus brand for MOtherboard. FOr the optical drive, it is only for installing old games and the OS. (I know we are in 2014  :)). For the RAM, ill stick with corsair. If you have any suggestion for a better case with the same looks let me know. Thanks!!!  :D

Yes, I'm glad you switched for an i5. You will not regret it, I have a 4770K and I regret it, I really should have got the i5.

The current plan is perfect. Nothing else to change

Here, this is my latest "version" of my future PC. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/antoine3152/saved/#savedbuild_1454855

Thank to you all !!!!

My monitor is going to be the Dell U2414H : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260174CVF IF I don't change my mind  :) !

This forum is great! you get good, fast and friendly answers.