EK Water Blocks General Support Thread

No. The GTX970 doesn't have a reference PCB. Some are 680 PCBs, some 760s or something, it's all wacko. Keep an eye out on www.coolingconfigurator.com as we add more 970s and are able to verify what PCB they're using.

Darn. Any ETA you can give on the full cover blocks? ;):D

We have to figure out which manufacturers are using which PCB first. EVGA and Gigabyte will be getting the first full cover 970 blocks. 

@EK_Derick How thick are the GPU back plates?

I am considering a loop in my machine but my Maximus VII Gene has an add in sound card that sits just above the PCI-e slot, I am concerned that a back plate may contact the solder points on this sound card.

A couple of pics to better show my issue. 

2014-09-21192240_zps16d078af.jpg

2014-09-21185006_zpsf637b8a0.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

You should be fine. I would need some numbers from you to confirm but that's a pretty decent sized space compared to some mobos (X99)

You should be fine. I would need some numbers from you to confirm but that's a pretty decent sized space compared to some mobos (X99)

If I measure from the top of the PCB to the lowest hanging solder point on the Sound Card I get ~.200 inches or ~5mm. 

I am waiting for a 980 to be available again.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Yeah 5mm is good.

Thanks! I appreciate your assistance. :)

Ya, most x99 boards have 5mm or less as it is.

Just saw another EK survey from their Facebook page btw:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EK-Hardware-Survey

Good survey. 

@EK_Derick

Respect for reaching to the community.

and when will Backplates be available for 980 ? i placed pre order on 2x 980 Acetal + Nickel but so far cant pre order backplates.

@EK_Derick

Respect for reaching to the community.

and when will Backplates be available for 980 ? i placed pre order on 2x 980 Acetal + Nickel but so far cant pre order backplates.

I'm jealous already.

Tell AMD to release a new chipset for FX lol. We considered doing one for the APU ROG board, but it's not a huge priority.

I am not upset there are no APU chipsets, but there are only 2 FX boards you have blocks for on your site. ROG and Gigabyte UD7. It just seems you guys do so little for AMD boards. I mean I have the Sabertooth 990fx not a lower end board and there isnt a block, yet if you go to the intel sabetrooth there is one. Just seems to be lopsided, I understand this from a business decision but I cant imagine it would be to hard to make blocks or offer like a small run if you can get enough people to pre-order or something and have the money due once the pre-order min is reached.  Anyways, do more for AMD in the future, and keep up the good work on the products.

well mutation I understand your frustration but the fact of the matter isnt amd vs intel. Its more people use intel than amd! Id really suggest buying or building a Intel machine sure its a little more price sensitive than amd but after all intel is a lot better than amd! So my point here is its easier for EK to make and produce products for Intel because more people use intel than amd, which in business means they have a higher chances of increasing revenue for intel boards! AMD has users sure but not near the amount of intel! 

@EK_Derick, been checking the facebook/site and can't seem to find any information about ETA for a 970 waterblock, do you know by chance when we can expect to see them? MY entire system is water cooled and use ek products on everything but the pump and res. So can't install my sli 970's without EK waterblocks!! I don't want to tube my machine again just to tube it again once the waterblocks come out!

@mutation666 - it's not our preference, its customers. If we took the time to make a block for any of those old boards at this point I doubt we'd sell enough to even break even on the development and production costs. 

We use to make lots for AMD when new boards were coming out. We don't hate AMD, quite the opposite. We love their GPUs, there just isn't any reason for us to make blocks for old boards, especially with the constant new hardware being churned out lately. We've got so many X99 boards and 900 series GPUs to focus on right now...

@nkd90 - there current'y isn't an ETA but it shouldn't be too much longer.

@EK_Derick any word on the rampage 5 extreme waterblock?

CPU i7 3770K@4.6Ghz Motherboard  Asus Maximus V Extreme Ram 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz GPU 3-Way Sli EVGA Gtx 780 //Core@1.2Ghz/Mem@7Ghz// PSU Corsair Ax1200i Storage OS 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB // 2xOCZ Vertex 4 128GB // 2xWD Red 4TB Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Steelseries Xai Cooling Custom Dual Loop Case Corsair 900D

Still being worked on. In sampling right now IIRC. It will be available quite soon :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the lack of support lately, things have been crazy!

@EK Luc will be your main point of contact from now on :)