LED HDD Clock.

joelthezombie15
Go to solution Solved by mgsstar,

I saw this awhile ago and it was pretty sweet. :)

Found some tutorials:http://www.instructables.com/id/Hard-Drive-Persistence-of-Vision-HDPOV/ + https://sites.google.com/site/paulmprojects/5400rpm-hard-disk-clock/build-process

These do require you to go to your electronics store and buy some parts to build this.

I saw this video (warning crap music might want to mute)

And im wondering how hard it is to do, i have two old IDE drives that i would LOVE to do this with, would it be easier to just buy one?

Im up for a challenge but i dont know a whole lot about like making your own circuit and what not, also would it be cheaper to just buy one?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Oh god. That music. MUTE.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Hellishly difficult to make your own - the time+7 segments are fine and I could in theory make one at school, but cutting a groove in the HDD platter, filling it with LEDs and programming them to flash at the right frequency for the RPM of the platter would be hard with expensive tools and loads of experience. It would be cool, but way beyond most people's skill level.

HTTP/2 203

That music makes my ears bleed.

That clock looks pretty cool. Wouldn't mind having one. 

ya i muted the music to :D

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

It looks like a LOT of work, and is more of a science fair project than a piece of furniture.

I have ZERO idea as to how to make this work, but would pay huge $$$ to own such a drive.

Also, I thought the music was fine. It may just be that I've been exposed to that song so many times that I've become immune to it.

It looks like a LOT of work, and is more of a science fair project than a piece of furniture.

I think it would be a good desk clock

its cheaper to buy but if you want a real challenge you could make one yourself 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Getting real tired of your threads Joel. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Getting real tired of your threads Joel. 

why what did i do wrong this time?

I think it would be a good desk clock

It looks a bit tacky in my opinion.

I like it.

That's the god thing with making your own. You can make it to fit your taste.

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

That's the god thing with making your own. You can make it to fit your taste.

ya but like others said, it looks like you need some special machines, i would love to build it myself but i simply cant :(

Yeah, doesn't help that I've heard a million times on YT... and this is coming from someone who has trance in his name...

Yeah, doesn't help that I've heard a million times on YT... and this is coming from someone who has trance in his name...

Ya i like trance and everything but that song is just so overplayed.

Ya i like trance and everything but that song is just so overplayed.

I blame AudioSwap... the user of this video probably uploaded it using a different song but replaced it because of copyright issues.

I blame AudioSwap... the user of this video probably uploaded it using a different song but replaced it because of copyright issues.

ya probably.

But that music is a legend on youtube!.

On topic: It looks epic and i want one  :) .

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

I saw this awhile ago and it was pretty sweet. :)

Found some tutorials:http://www.instructables.com/id/Hard-Drive-Persistence-of-Vision-HDPOV/ + https://sites.google.com/site/paulmprojects/5400rpm-hard-disk-clock/build-process

These do require you to go to your electronics store and buy some parts to build this.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer