watercooled water cooler

So when i was laying in my bed thinking about random stuff, i came up with an idea. My idea is this. Can i put the radiator in a tank of water so the water from the tank cools the water in the radiator? Or am i missing a point here that makes this impossible

What's the point of doing that ??

You would just ruin your radiator with rust.

Wouldn't work I would guess. First, how would you keep your "tank" of water cool? That could be hard. Second, the water probably wouldn't pass through the fins as well as air, and then your cooling potential goes down.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Possible, but highly improbable. If you put the radiator in a tank of water you'd have to find a way to cycle the water in the tank so that the heat doesn't just sit around, and you'd have to find a way to propel the water through the radiator fins at an efficient rate. It is an interesting idea and it's certainly original, but it would add a lot more bulk to a water cooling system, and it'd probably be really expensive.

May the Force be with you.

Ive thought about doing this also but i was only thinking for a short amount of time. you could fill it with ice and try to get some extreme overclocks

also thought about putting a rad outside a window in the winter lol

It would work for a bit until the water in the watercooler becomes the same temperature as the coolant in the rig. At this point no heat would be transfered to the water in the watercooler so your coolant would just get hotter and hotter until it boils off the cpu/gpu heat.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I think people have caught on pretty well on to this one. You would just slowly build heat up in the tank of water.

All good water cooling starts with good air cooling.

My idea was to drill 2 holes in the side of a freezer. run tubes into it and put a radiator inside the freezer. You would get sub-zero cooling no?

Well I thought about it more and no it would not work. Why?

Mainly condensation. Anything below room temp will slowly collect water on it. That's obviously bad.

What YOU are talking about is a heat exchanger. Its what they use in some Nuclear power stations. They have two separate loops. The point of it in a power station being that you want to isolate the radioactive coolant but that's just about it. There's no more use to it.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

My friend cools the water in his loop, not to below zero but pretty cold, much more than just a rad would do

My friend cools the water in his loop' date=' not to below zero but pretty cold, much more than just a rad would do[/quote']

I know one way to do that what anyone can do but its the biggest waste of power that anyone could think of. It literally uses up to 200W to run.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

stick a bucket with water in it outside, get a huge pump and run water from the cold bucket to the bucket with the rad in it, that way that rad has cold water coming to it constantly, and send the warm water out into the cold bucket to be chilled again. Heat rises so the warm water will remain above the cold until it gets chilled then it will sink to the bottom of the bucket where the intake would be.This is totally overkill but in theory would work!

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

If the tank of water doesn't ruin your radiator, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you have a way to get the heat out of the tank of water. One way you could do that is have a pump push the water through a radiator. You can just then use fan to pass cool air through the radiator.

4930k @ 4.0 GHz - Rampage IV Black - 16GB Dominator Platnium 1600 Cas 8 - 2x 780TI Classified SLI - 640 GT - Xonar Pheobus - 2x 128GB 840 Pro RAID 0 - 250GB 840 EVO - Live Gamer HD - AX1200i - COSMOS II - H100i - 4x SP120 - 4x AF120 - AF140 - 3x U3014 - Blackwidow Ultimate - Naga - Mouse Bungee - Manticor - 2x Sabertooth - Atrox - T500RS - TH8RS - Tiamat 7.1 - SP2500 - c920 - Smart-UPS SMT1500

My friend cools the water in his loop, not to below zero but pretty cold, much more than just a rad would do
If it's not done right, that can be fatal to your system. The cold fluid in the pipes can cause condensation on the outside of them which will be over things like your board or your cards which can lead to failures..

No disrespect to the TS, but why would you want to do that? Why not buy a custom waterloop, that will work hassle free? I'm running a swiftech mcp655, a 480 rad and 240rad, CPU idles 22C (about ambient +1) 35-38 after gaming a few hours .Do you need even more headroom than that, or are you gonna do some insane overclock? =)

this was just a random question. i was just wondering if it will work. I could put some goldfish in the tank so the fish can somehow circulate the water a little bit I think before the radiotor will rust you would need a new pc. I don't think the water would get hot enough to ruin the cpu. the area i live in stays around 21c and i don't leave my computers on all day unless im downloading a game

Main issue I can see is how you would cool the tank of water, and if the answer is pumps and radiators your just back to square one.

​Secondary issue would be making the water flow through the radiator to move heat off them, a pump is probably the simple answer.

Coolermaster HAF-X, i5-3570k@4.3Ghz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, Sapphire HD7870@1150Mhz, G.Skill Ripjaws 12GB 1600Mhz, Silverstone Strider Plus 750W, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit