Best audio setup for around £60 (UK)

PigeonSwag
Go to solution Solved by Verne,

With your budget I would consider Superlux headphones like HD681 Evo HD668b + the Zalman ZM-MIC1 clip-on mic. Better quality than any headset in that price range. HyperX Cloud is on a sale (again) at £62 on Amazon.co.uk so if you must have a headset, that's the one to go for.

Hey,

I have about £60 to spend on a new headset, possible a DAC if its within the budget. I'd like it to be a headset to have a mic because I regularly use skype, or if anyone have any other suitable suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Amazon has them for like $43, see if you can get them shipped overseas?

Also a DAC does not power headphones, an amplifier does.  You can't just buy a DAC and use your headphones off it, you'll need an Amp as well

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

With your budget I would consider Superlux headphones like HD681 Evo HD668b + the Zalman ZM-MIC1 clip-on mic. Better quality than any headset in that price range. HyperX Cloud is on a sale (again) at £62 on Amazon.co.uk so if you must have a headset, that's the one to go for.

@Lays

I think theres like import taxes and other charges so it'll work out rather expensive.

Sorry, I should have said like an amp/DAC combo thingy.

@Verne

Are the Superlux audio quality better than that of the HyperX?

Are the Superlux audio quality better than that of the HyperX?

I haven't used the HyperX Cloud headset myself so I cannot really comment on how good they are, but I own a pair of Superlux HD681 Evo and they are amazing. If you do some googling for reviews of the HD681 Evo (or 668b or the older 681) you'll find many people who are amazed by their quality and some even compare the sound quality to headphones that cost many times more.

The Superlux headphones seem really good, I'll probably get them, thanks. Do I need a aftermarket amp/dac thing to take advantage of the quality?

The Superlux headphones seem really good, I'll probably get them, thanks. Do I need a aftermarket amp/dac thing to take advantage of the quality?

If you have a modern motherboard, it should be more than enough.

Thanks! I'm new to the board, is there anything like giving rep or something?

Thanks! I'm new to the board, is there anything like giving rep or something?

There is a "Like this" button at the bottom right corner, above the quote buttons. Another handy feature is to use those quotes or write @Name to send that person a notification.

@Verne

Sorry to bother you again, but would you recommend the 681, 681 Evo, or the 668B?

Thanks fo your help.

@Verne

Sorry to bother you again, but would you recommend the 681, 681 Evo, or the 668B?

Thanks fo your help.

681 Evo is updated and better 681 so 681 is out of the race. 668b has more bass but is otherwise similar sounding. So if you like bass, get 668b.

Oh god, I'm so new to the world of audio that I don't know if I like base or not. Whats better for rock/metal and gaming?

Again thanks.

681 Evo is updated and better 681 so 681 is out of the race. 668b has more bass but is otherwise similar sounding. So if you like bass, get 668b.

Just adding another suggestion. OP should check out the superlux HD660's. They're also fantastic for the price and paired with Beyer's velour pads have great comfort, though cost a bit more than the 668Bs.

HD660

Beyer Velour Pads

EDIT: They're on my list of Headphones to review, but I require more time with them to give my final thoughts. 

Oh god, I'm so new to the world of audio that I don't know if I like base or not. Whats better for rock/metal and gaming?

Again thanks.

Both are excellent for gaming. I listen a lot of rock and metal (and some chiptunes and electric music) and I find the bass in the 681 Evos more than enough.