What do I upgrade first?

Hello I am new to all this computer DIY and I wanted to get a better gaming rig but I don't know what to up grade first the power supply or the graphics card first (I have a  Ge Force GT 640 and a 500w power supply) any help??

I need something that is cheepish so not a TITAN or anything that big just yet!!

Ello ello welcome to the forums first of all :)

I would say upgrade the GPU first. Your 500W power supply(As long as it's decent enough like 80+ Bronze or higher should be able to power something like a 7870.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

A 500w psu is enough for some higher end cards like the 7950.

graphics card, 500w if its a good quality PSU will be fine with most graphics cards, as long it has the 2 x 6 PCIe connectors.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

GPU, as it's easiest, plus I think 500w can handle that new ASUS Direct mini GTX 670

I would make sure you have a decent PSU first. 500 is enough for any single card rig, but It's better to have a trusted brand with your entire system.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

What's your budget and current specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am not sure what my budget will be but I have looked at the ASUS Direct mini GTX 670 and it is too expensive something more like £100-£150 maybe

I'd like more info on the PSU. 500W is enough but if it's low quality you should change that ASAP.

Like Nicktrance said, need more info on the PSU first. If it is a good one (corsair, silverstone, other 80+ bronze), you are good to go sir.

The PSU is corsair and it is 80+ bronze 

What about the 650 ti boost? That's a pretty good card for it's price. That or the 660. Or wait around for the 700 series cards of them.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

There's the HD 7790, they are fairly cheap and are decent cards, they OC pretty well and aren't power hungry. One of them from MSI or ASUS would be a sound investment. A friend of mine has two in crossfire and they bulldoze a lot of GPU intensive games.

Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted

(Do not try to work the meaning out you will go insane I have tried it)

Thank you all for the help I think I am going to set my eyes out on getting the MSI 7790 thank you all!!

One small thing to watch though with the 7790 they CAN run a bit toasty from time to time other than that solid card.

Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted

(Do not try to work the meaning out you will go insane I have tried it)

Ok I will look out for that when/if I get one an if I get two in crossfire will I need a better PSU??