Intel pentium g3258 cheap overclocking mobo

Cloud92
Go to solution Solved by AMICLG,

You can find the known OC capable boards here.

Ok so this is what I want to do,I want to build a decent gaming PC for my girlfriend that plays games like league of legends,diablo,sims,need for speed and so on,and as you can probably tell she doesn't really need a lot of horsepower. I want the system to be based on a intel pentium g3258 and a gtx 750ti. Now,everything is pretty much set except for the motherboard,as I said I won't be spending too much money on the build so I want a really cheap motherboard that will allow me to OC the 3258 near it's limits,I'm talking 4.5 to 4.8 ghz,what exactly should I get?

The system will pretty much look like this

pentium g3258

gtx 750ti

4gb ram

500w psu

didn't decide on the case but most likely middle tower

Ok so this is what I want to do,I want to build a decent gaming PC for my girlfriend that plays games like league of legends,diablo,sims,need for speed and so on,and as you can probably tell she doesn't really need a lot of horsepower. I want the system to be based on a intel pentium g3258 and a gtx 750ti. Now,everything is pretty much set except for the motherboard,as I said I won't be spending too much money on the build so I want a really cheap motherboard that will allow me to OC the 3258 near it's limits,I'm talking 4.5 to 4.8 ghz,what exactly should I get?

MSI Z97 PC MATE.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

What's the budget?

Here's one for $90, Asrock boards seem to be pretty hit or miss though. Nevertheless, this board was built for overclocking the Pentium K.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157528&cm_re=Asrock_z97_anniversary-_-13-157-528-_-Product

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

What's the budget?

Here's one for $90, Asrock boards seem to be pretty hit or miss though. Nevertheless, this board was built for overclocking the Pentium K.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157528&cm_re=Asrock_z97_anniversary-_-13-157-528-_-Product

Was going to be my suggestion as well. It's not that pricey especially for rocking a Z97 chipset. It has 4.2 GHz preset in the bios that pretty much gets you to 4.2 GHz in a single click, and you can manually tweak to "OverCock" further.

didn't really think about the budget,probably the cheapest motherboard that could get me up to 4.5 / 4.6 ghz

didn't really think about the budget,probably the cheapest motherboard that could get me up to 4.5 / 4.6 ghz

In all honesty, the motherboard isn't as important as how well the chip is binned. Some CPU's just hate being overclocked, hopefully you got one that overclocks well. All part of the silicon lottery.  :)

I don't know you but I hate you for having a girlfriend that plays games, especially on PC.

#foreveralone.

Edit: Also I suggest the smallest case possible, women find small things cute (well, some things anyways).

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well,we've been together for almost 4 years,and it took me 3 years to really get her into games,she used to hate them before she met me,and she still did to an extent* even after a year or two,haha. and yeah I was looking at a bitfenix

@Opcode I know how it works,running a fx 8320 OC here,won the lottery with it,but I'm pretty sure it's going to hit 4.5 ghz,afterall,it only has two cores,what are the chances to be a horrible chip

I'm still not sure if I should still go for intel or amd over here,I got impressed by how well the 3258 performs when overclocked but I'm not sure if a 750k/760k overclocked will do a better or similar job. The price is pretty much the same for each cpu+motherboard combo.

any take on it?

Well,we've been together for almost 4 years,and it took me 3 years to really get her into games,she used to hate them before she met me,and she still did to an extend even after a year or two,haha. and yeah I was looking at a bitfenix

@Opcode I know how it works,running a fx 8320 OC here,won the lottery with it,but I'm pretty sure it's going to hit 4.5 ghz,afterall,it only has two cores,what are the chances to be a horrible chip

I'm still not sure if I should still go for intel or amd over here,I got impressed by how well the 3258 performs when overclocked but I'm not sure if a 750k/760k overclocked will do a better or similar job. The price is pretty much the same for each cpu+motherboard combo.

any take on it?

Pentium G3258. Reason for that is mostly every game you named off isn't very heavily threaded. So core performance is going to be way more beneficial than core count. Especially if she tends to play a lot of MMO's. The G3258 will out perform a overclocked 760k if that's the case. You'll hit a GPU barrier with either more than likely so I would go the G3258 route to save on power and have an upgradable platform.

very well then,g3258 it is. And yeah we're probably going to move to mmos soon enough,archeage is just around the corner,checked everything again and some other benchmarks,it tends to run even the most demanding games maxed out at 60 fps without a problem. Looks like this is it.

very well then,g3258 it is. And yeah we're probably going to move to mmos soon enough,archeage is just around the corner,checked everything again and some other benchmarks,it tends to run even the most demanding games maxed out at 60 fps without a problem. Looks like this is it.

At 4.5 GHz the G3258 is really one rock solid gaming chip for $70. Thought I would mention if you live near a MicroCenter you can get a board and the G3258 for $99.

I seem to remember someone telling me you can oc the G3258 on some H series boards so you should be able to get some cheaper boards

Another heads up, the G3258 is only $54 on Amazon.

I seem to remember someone telling me you can oc the G3258 on some H series boards so you should be able to get some cheaper boards

He can actually even do it on some B81 boards as well. Tho the prices of them are so close to these lower end Z97 boards.

Another heads up, the G3258 is only $54 on Amazon.

He can actually even do it on some B81 boards as well. Tho the prices of them are so close to these lower end Z97 boards.

well there is 1 asrock budget mobo I've been using with builds for my friends and it's pretty good (AsRock Z87M-Extreme4).

The sound system is amazing for it's price and great for movies ans gaming and it can SLI too and there aren't many that can SLI at it's pricepoint.

and why go for a GTX 750TI?

when you can get a MSI R9 270 it;s amazing for it's price value + it's Xfire enabled for later if you may wanna upgrade.

Here's a low Budget  build I did for a friend in my country. (singapore)

Case : CM N200 windowed (one of the best value for money cases)

CPU : G3258 (overclockable)

MoBo : AsRock Z87M - Extreme 4

Ram : G.Skill RipJaw-X 1600 C9 (8GB=2x4GB)

Storage : Seagate 1TB 7200/64MB/SATA3 or WD 1TB Blue /64MB/EZEX/7200 (whichever is on discount at the moment)

GPU : MSI R9-270 Gaming 2GB

PSU : Seasonic 520W S12-II / 5yrs 80+Bronze

This is just a suggestion you don't have to follow everything :)

well there is 1 asrock budget mobo I've been using with builds for my friends and it's pretty good (AsRock Z87M-Extreme4).

The sound system is amazing for it's price and great for movies ans gaming and it can SLI too and there aren't many that can SLI at it's pricepoint.

and why go for a GTX 750TI?

when you can get a MSI R9 270 it;s amazing for it's price value + it's Xfire enabled for later if you may wanna upgrade.

Here's a low Budget  build I did for a friend in my country. (singapore)

Case : CM N200 windowed (one of the best value for money cases)

CPU : G3258 (overclockable)

MoBo : AsRock Z87M - Extreme 4

Ram : G.Skill RipJaw-X 1600 C9 (8GB=2x4GB)

Storage : Seagate 1TB 7200/64MB/SATA3 or WD 1TB Blue /64MB/EZEX/7200 (whichever is on discount at the moment)

GPU : MSI R9-270 Gaming 2GB

PSU : Seasonic 520W S12-II / 5yrs 80+Bronze

This is just a suggestion you don't have to follow everything :)

Better hope that Z87 board comes with the latest bios, because if it doesn't its just a paper weight to him. You will need a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge microprocessor just to flash a newer bios to add support for the G3258. I personally would stick to Z97 as it will retain support for Broadwell unlike Z87.

Better hope that Z87 board comes with the latest bios, because if it doesn't its just a paper weight to him. You will need a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge microprocessor just to flash a newer bios to add support for the G3258. I personally would stick to Z97 as it will retain support for Broadwell unlike Z87.

I don't think he's gonna get a Broadwell  if he's getting a G3258 even if he can't use a broadwell he still can get a i7 4790K... how is that a paperweight?

I don't think he's gonna get a Broadwell  if he's getting a G3258 even if he can't use a broadwell he still can get a i7 4790K... how is that a paperweight?

You can't run a unsupported chip in that board without a bios update. In order to do a bios update you need a supported chip. I doubt he has one laying around else he wouldn't be buying a G3258.

You can't run a unsupported chip in that board without a bios update. In order to do a bios update you need a supported chip. I doubt he has one laying around else he wouldn't be buying a G3258.

?? I don't understand  what you're saying??

If you're saying the AsRock one doesn't support the G3258... then explain how is my school gaming clan plaing on the build lol

?? I don't understand  what you're saying??

If you're saying the AsRock one doesn't support the G3258... then explain how is my school gaming clan plaing on the build lol

If you happen to get a board with the 1.90 revision bios then it will support the G3258 out of the box. Tho if you don't you will need another chip in its place to just update the bios. In my opinion its better to just go with a newer chipset that's not only better and will last longer, but also guarantee's out of the box support.

If you happen to get a board with the 1.90 revision bios then it will support the G3258 out of the box. Tho if you don't you will need another chip in its place to just update the bios. In my opinion its better to just go with a newer chipset that's not only better and will last longer, but also guarantee's out of the box support.

ah ok that's what you ment. yeah that's true but as you can see he's trying to save every cent he can. + when you get the board you can always check with the shopkeeper if the board they carry is already updated with the bios update...

PS that's what I did lol

@Cloud92 if you go with the G3258, your better off getting a Z97 board, Asrock has one for around $90. And you can always upgrade the CPU in the future. Z97 will around for awhile i think. I have a G3258 with an MSI Z97M, but its was $150 and the CPU clocks to 4.5GHz with just adjusting the multiplier and nothing else (on the stock cooler). The 750Ti is a nice little card, the R9 270 is about the same price. Either will be good. Although with the release of the R9 285, 280 prices should be coming down soon (ill be getting a second one :) )

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Example of R9 280 prices ( i have this card ) $175.57 afrer MIR and before tax and shipping. Comes with $20 gift card and 3 free games. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131570

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Well,I'm not exactly from Canada or US either,I live in Europe,We have somewhat different and higher prices in EU,everything is about ~25% to 30% more expensive than it is in the US,I wish we had a microcenter,I'd get the whole pc for 400 $ lol. Anyway,I looked at a MSI H81M-P33 and it looks like people hit 4.5 on it and switched the 750ti for a r9 270 since it's...well it's pretty much the same pricetag.