To buy or not to buy ( KingDian ? 60GB SSD )

acolombo
Go to solution Solved by hojnikb,

JMF608 controller. Run away as fast as you can!

Hi, I've found this 60GB SSD for super cheap: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-5-SATA3-SSD-60GB/1940978716.html

I'd like to buy it for my old pc, to give it a little speed and to give it a disk (it currently doesn't have one because I got the hard drives on my latest pc).

The problem is the brand, wtf is it D: Would you buy it?

OS: Windows 10 - Kubuntu 15.10 - Mac OSX El Capitan  CPU: i7 4790 @ 4.00GHz  MOBO: AsRock H97M Pro4  RAM: 4x 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz  GPU: VTX3D R9-280 X-Edition  CASE: iTek Spacebox w/ Arctic Fans  PSU: Corsair X750M  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo  HDD: 3TB Western Digital WD30EZRX  DISPLAY: 3x Acer P193W  MOUSE: 5$ Chinese  TOUCHPAD: Logitech T650 Touchpad  KEYBOARD: Perixx Px-5200 w/Mx-Blues

Yeah I wouldn't.

And with normal brands (that are more expensive) I don't really recommend 60GB SSDs anyway. 128GB disks are only a little bit more expensive, and I would say the sweet spot is about 256 now.

yes its cheap but its price per gig isn't very good compared to other well known ssd's, get it if you want but i wouldn't.

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Ok thank you, this answer is just a little more technical than "I don't know that brand" so it's the best answer. Won't buy it for sure ;)

OS: Windows 10 - Kubuntu 15.10 - Mac OSX El Capitan  CPU: i7 4790 @ 4.00GHz  MOBO: AsRock H97M Pro4  RAM: 4x 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz  GPU: VTX3D R9-280 X-Edition  CASE: iTek Spacebox w/ Arctic Fans  PSU: Corsair X750M  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo  HDD: 3TB Western Digital WD30EZRX  DISPLAY: 3x Acer P193W  MOUSE: 5$ Chinese  TOUCHPAD: Logitech T650 Touchpad  KEYBOARD: Perixx Px-5200 w/Mx-Blues

Don't trust the seller, don't trust the brand, don't trust the tech. This is the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel and way too small at that. So sure, why not?

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

And their specs are all wrong, since that particular controller isn't capable of more than 300MB/s reads. Pretty sure that benchmark posted isn't from that drive, because budget jmicron controllers aren't capable of such 4k speeds.

tl;Dr

avoid jmicron based ssds at all cost. Unless they come up with something substantially better.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

• 2 years later...

Hello, I'll revive this topic because found on sale mSATA 32Gb SSD King Power brand dirves with the 2244LT/JMF608 controler, and cost only $10 (MSAT instead of mSATA will give a clue why), I don't worry much about longevity, as long as I want that SSD to re-use 2 old Pentium 4 and a Athon 64 as a linux HTPC and a retro arcade projects.DSCN2889.JPG

All this is background to my question, what's wrong with the named JMF608 controler? yes, I know that chip isn't reliable for a workhorse PC, but want to know the exact issue with this chip, does it dies after "X" number of cicles? it ramdonly works-stop working? is it slow in data read-write? I will never use those ultracheap SSD's for my main or even my gaming PC, but they're so cheap I had to purchase 1 to test it (by now I'm waiting for the mSATA to IDE adaptor to plug it into the P4). Thanks and best regards.

• 3 months later...

Whats up with your hate everyone?

I bought it and I m happy.

Of course its not the best but 24 Euros isnt that much of a problem.

Restrospectively I should have gone with a bigger one, but for that price its wonderful.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, but one Russian blogger in 2015 reported that his cheap KingDian died after 7 months of use. So, not sure if it's worth it unless you want to buy another one soon again.

Also Aliexpress product page says: "Controller:Marvell/SMI/JMF" - hm, not sure which one in the end is being used, I guess it's a lottery.

Which is a shame because I wanted to buy a cheap 60GB storage for EEEPC which will be used as a lightweight experimental Linux platform. 120GB would be overkill. But I would like it to serve at least 5 years with moderate usage.