Kraken G10 on a R9 290

Razzaa

I installed my G10 without heatsinks for the VRM's because i have no patience and didn't want to wait. I have been reading that without heatsinks the VRM's burn up. Although the below temps are at stock clocks i am very surprised and satisfied with the low temps and silent card i now have. I have great airflow in my case so im sure that helps keep them relatively cool. I paired the G10 with a cheap H55. If anyone has a reference card and is on the fence about taking this route, i suggest you do it. My heatsinks are in the mail and i will report temps once they are installed.

post-107732-0-76975100-1410404428_thumb.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Still suggest you put on the VRM

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

that leaves a lot of room for overclocking.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

You should probably check the VRM temps which are not in that screenshot..

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Put it on... It's always better to be safe than sorry.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

You should probably check the VRM temps which are not in that screenshot..

Did you look at the pic or you just cant see?

Do people even read? I said I would report temps once I put them on. Im sure that means I plan on using them.

Did you look at the pic or you just cant see?

Was on mobile, my bad. Opened up the pic on my phone which didn't go full screen or something.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Do people even read? I said I would report temps once I put them on. Im sure that means I plan on using them.

I keep trying to tell people this as well. The heatsinks are not required. I have gamed for 2 hours and not gone above 70C on the back side of the VRM or VRAM. However I have done more lengthy gaming sessions of straight non stop 90% usage for 4-6 hours and I have gotten temps on the backside over 85C. I suggest you be cautious, but I have been running my video card without heatsinks and have yet to have a problem. Im not overclcoked and Im using a 780 ti not a r9 290. I have had the heatsinks since day one but they fell off and I have to lazy to put them on. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I keep trying to tell people this as well. The heatsinks are not required. I have gamed for 2 hours and not gone above 70C on the back side of the VRM or VRAM. However I have done more lengthy gaming sessions of straight non stop 90% usage for 4-6 hours and I have gotten temps on the backside over 85C. I suggest you be cautious, but I have been running my video card without heatsinks and have yet to have a problem. Im not overclcoked and Im using a 780 ti not a r9 290. I have had the heatsinks since day one but they fell off and I have to lazy to put them on.

I wouldn't even be concerned with 85c. I know lots of people who dont use the heatsinks and have good temps. I have been playing BF4 and have not gone above 70c. I will be putting them on though because I am curious of the difference.

I wouldn't even be concerned with 85c. I know lots of people who dont use the heatsinks and have good temps. I have been playing BF4 and have not gone above 70c. I will be putting them on though because I am curious of the difference.

I checked the other day after playing AC black flag for 4 or 5 hours (i lost track of time) and the temps were near 85C, unfortunately im using back of card temps being read by a IR temp reader as Nvidia doesn't have sensors on the VRMs. Someone that installed the heatsinks seemed to lose 15C off his back card temps. However I have played Euro truck for the same length of time and never gone past 75C so it really depends on the usage. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

I'm looking for heatsinks, as I am looking to do the same thing with my R9 290. What sizes should I get? And could someone point me in the right direction as to a reputable site with decent quality products?

Sorry if I seem ignorant about this, but this would be my first major "mod" to a card, and I have everything else figured out, except where to get the right heatsinks from...

CPU FX 8350 OCed to 4.7GHz  Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4 RAM 8 Gigs (2x4Gigs) PNY 1600  GPU Sapphire R9 280  Case Fractal Design Define S  Storage Seagate - 1TB Internal, WD Blue 250Gb PSU Thermaltake Smart 'M' Series 850 watt modular PSU.  Display(s) (Right now) AOC 22" 69V Series 6ms response time IPS monitor  Cooling 2 Fractal Design Case Fans, CPU cooled by Cryorig H5 Ultimate  Keyboard Razer Black Widow (2013) Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma

I bought my G10  and the Gelid R9 290 VRM kit on Newegg..though eBay actually.  The Gelid kit was the simplest way to get great VRM cooling.  I also bought stick-on copper sinks for my RAM chips though they are far less necessary than the VRM sinks.

System 1:  AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI X570 MEG UNIFY | 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 | Nvidia RTX 3090 FE | custom loop (3x 360mm rads, Optimus Foundation AMD CPU Block, Bitspower BP-VG3090FE, Aquacompter D5 NEXT, Radikult O11D-XL UNO) | Seasonic GX-1000 | Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic XL (black & silver) | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 512GB Toshiba RD400 NVMe (OS) | 2x 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe in RAID 0 | 6.4TB ioMemory PCI-E storage | 55" LG C9 OLED

System 2:  AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X | MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC | 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4-3000 | AMD 5700 (flashed with 5700XT bios) | custom loop (1x 280mm rad, 1 x 120mm rad, Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+, Heatkiller IV for reference 5700, Aquacompter D5 NEXT, Alphacool dual-bay res w/ D5 mount) | Seasonic GX-850 | Silverstone FT-02 (red/black) | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 512GB Toshiba RD400 NVMe (OS) | 2x Seagate 4TB SSHD in RAID 1 via LSI 9265-8i | 55" LG C9 OLED

Laptop:  Dell XPS 2-in-1 | 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen | Intel Core i7-8705G | 16GB Memory | AMD Radeon RX Vega M | 256GB SSD | Windows 10 Pro x64

This is with the Gelid VRM kit. Temps dropped nicely.

post-107732-0-75263800-1410541295_thumb.

I'm looking for heatsinks, as I am looking to do the same thing with my R9 290. What sizes should I get? And could someone point me in the right direction as to a reputable site with decent quality products?

Sorry if I seem ignorant about this, but this would be my first major "mod" to a card, and I have everything else figured out, except where to get the right heatsinks from...

Newegg sells the kit. Gelid VRM kit for 290/290x

This is with the Gelid VRM kit. Temps dropped nicely.

Very nice.    What did you use to attach them with? 

Spoiler

Newegg sells the kit. Gelid VRM kit for 290/290x

Thanks! Will be getting those shortly!

CPU FX 8350 OCed to 4.7GHz  Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4 RAM 8 Gigs (2x4Gigs) PNY 1600  GPU Sapphire R9 280  Case Fractal Design Define S  Storage Seagate - 1TB Internal, WD Blue 250Gb PSU Thermaltake Smart 'M' Series 850 watt modular PSU.  Display(s) (Right now) AOC 22" 69V Series 6ms response time IPS monitor  Cooling 2 Fractal Design Case Fans, CPU cooled by Cryorig H5 Ultimate  Keyboard Razer Black Widow (2013) Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma

Very nice @Razzaa this is what I love to see! Tests done to provide information to others. Before and after temperatures like this are so helpful. It shows that VRM heat sinks while.not necessary, do show a tangible improvement. VRM temps can get as high as 100 before anything bad happens. Even at 85C you are within the safe zone. Great test, thank you for your contribution, I will be referring people who are hesitant or skeptical about the G10 mod to this post.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Very nice. What did you use to attach them with?

The little heatsink has two sided adhesive and the other one comes with a thermal pad and screws. It literally takes 2 minutes. I am going to do some overclocking later and report back. I am very pleased with this solution so far. My GPU and vrm's idle under 30c. I am especially happy with the lack of noise lol

The little heatsink has two sided adhesive and the other one comes with a thermal pad and screws. It literally takes 2 minutes. I am going to do some overclocking later and report back. I am very pleased with this solution so far. My GPU and vrm's idle under 30c. I am especially happy with the lack of noise lol

Thanks. and enjoy 

Spoiler

Why are you only getting 55.9fps?

That is average FPS for a stock 290 in Valley. My score is consistent with other stock 290's.........

OC'd to 1150Mhz

Core - 55c

VRM #1 - 69c

VRM #2 - 60c

post-107732-0-90387800-1410588772_thumb.

That is average FPS for a stock 290 in Valley. My score is consistent with other stock 290's.........

My point is the performance gap between an R 290 and 780 in this benchmark is pretty big since I score a 69 FPS. I didn't think it was that much.