IPS Newbie - Anything I should know

_wky

I got my first IPS monitor the other day, a Dell U2414H and was wondering if there is anything I should know about taking care of it.

Do IPS panels suffer from image persistence (burn in), will it hurt to leave the monitor with a static image for several hours?

Just want to take care of my new toy. (Took me a while to save up for this.)

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Burn in is only for amoled/oled.

Just worry about backlight bleed and colour cal. it

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Burn in is only for amoled/oled.

Just worry about backlight bleed and colour cal. it

No danger of burn-in, that is only for CRTs, plasmas, and OLEDs.

RIP Screensavers?

Thanks folks, there's a little backlight bleed in the bottom left. It was calibrated at the factory and I'm not doing pro work so that's good enough for me.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Actually, burn-in is an issue on SOME IPS panels.

As we only suggest decent IPS panels or better here, it is of no concern.

While I can't say for all monitors, my monitor has an mode on the screen which called LCD conditioning, which, JUST in the case you have a burn-in issue, which I never did since I got this monitor (2009), have something to rectify the problem.

Thanks folks, there's a little backlight bleed in the bottom left. It was calibrated at the factory and I'm not doing pro work so that's good enough for me.

I recently got one (u2414h) too and it has very slight backlight bleeding in the bottom left, but it's only noticeable on a completely black screen.

I recently got one (u2414h) too and it has very slight backlight bleeding in the bottom left, but it's only noticeable on a completely black screen.

Yep, exactly the same ay? Probably the way they're making them then. Good display none-the-less.

My previous monitor (now my secondary display) which I picked up for £30 had really bad colour shift issues, if there was grey text on a white background, I couldn't see it at all if I wasn't perfectly perpendicular with the darn thing. 

Yep, exactly the same ay? Probably the way they're making them then. Good display none-the-less.

My previous monitor (now my secondary display) which I picked up for £30 had really bad colour shift issues, if there was grey text on a white background, I couldn't see it at all if I wasn't perfectly perpendicular with the darn thing. 

My old monitor was very similar. But I got my u2414h manufacturer refurb for £130 so I cannot complain too much

A little backlight bleed in exchange for thin bezels, better colours and no PWM flickering is a deal worthwhile for me.

Hope you're enjoying yours too :)