Why Celeron exists?

Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,

Celerons where originally a mistake. A large batch of Pentium II went wrong and Intel decided to rescue half of those dies on each CPU, which were still in good shape, and sold them as a lower end solution. It turned out so well Intel nowadays continues the Celeron product line (not intentionally damaging good CPUs).

Celerons have less power, lower clockspeeds and less cache, which makes them cheaper but also powerful enough for basic tasks, like checking mail and text documents, that being the only job most PCs do at a company,

I've just thinking that there are a lot of intel cpu, but celeron is the same than pentium, isn't it?

All has it own features(at least most of them):

Atom: tiny and ultra low tdp(for laptops or netbooks)

Pentium: cheap dual core without HT, but is ok for everyday use

i3: cheap dual core with HT, nice for light gaming

i5: quad core without HT, very nice for gaming

i7: quad core with HT, a monster for all scenarios.

But... Isn't celeron a cheap dual core without HT for desktop? It's like the pentium, so why there are 2 similar named cpu?

Aren't celerons OEM CPUs for low-end desktops?

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Celerons where originally a mistake. A large batch of Pentium II went wrong and Intel decided to rescue half of those dies on each CPU, which were still in good shape, and sold them as a lower end solution. It turned out so well Intel nowadays continues the Celeron product line (not intentionally damaging good CPUs).

Celerons have less power, lower clockspeeds and less cache, which makes them cheaper but also powerful enough for basic tasks, like checking mail and text documents, that being the only job most PCs do at a company,

lower tdp for oem machines and cryptominers 

that makes sense, i didn't think about the tdp, so this cpu isn't worth for some other use?

Celerons come in single-core variants too afaik. Also it makes sense to differenciate them from pentiums if the performance is significantly worse, which it might be. Also, power consumption is significantly lower.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

that makes sense, i didn't think about the tdp, so this cpu isn't worth for some other use?

office machines where there's going to be hundreds of them, tdp adds up fast.

for cheap school computers? idk

In my school there are pentium 3-4 based pc lol 

That's I wanted to hear, i was sure that intel had a good reason to release celeron  :D

It sits between the Atom and the Pentium.

Celeron tend to have a smaller cache and support a lower FSB and less PCIe lanes. These leads to lower power consumption and less cost (to produce and buy), but also lesser performance than Pentiums.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

lower tdp for oem machines and cryptominers 

Lower-TDP chips for OEM are achieved with the S chips

"Rawr XD"

lol i never knew that. they should make a celeron k anniversary edition 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Celeron J1900M anyone? I'm going to be using it for an HTPC (with an R7-250 for rendering)