G750 vs MacBook Pro

Amer

Hello everyone, (Didn't know where to post this so move the thread if it's in the wrong section.)

I went over to best buy today and needed a laptop for basically College & gaming. I didn't know which to go for the G750 or the MacBook Pro.

I really need help picking which laptop to buy.

I'll be using it for:-

College

Gaming

Multi Tasking

Watch movies/videos

I wanted to get the G750JZ but they didn't have it so they had the G750 with an Core i7 4710HQ CPU, 8GB DDR3 Graphics card, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, & built in windows 8.1 that costed $1,399.00.

The MacBook Air had 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, Nvidea Graphics card like a 770 or something I forgot. And I forgot the rest of the specs.

I'm use to windows and I love windows so keep that in mind aswell.

Also I'll be carrying it with me a lot so keep that in mind aswell.

Speed matters since I'm going to be multi tasking so keep that in mins aswell.

Cheese

The G750 will win hands down. You're comparing a thin "ultra book" form factor notebook to a full fledged gaming notebook.

The Air certainty doesn't have a 770. It's important you add an "M" to the end, which indicates it's a mobile chip and therefore much different than the desktop counterpart. Even then, it still doesn't have  770M

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Neither. The Asus, albeit all around better for gaming, is still not even a GTX card...its a GT card. 

Edit: The G750 should have GDDR5 Vram, not DDR3 -- I.e. it should have a GTX card--GTX 860m or higher. So, go for it. As it will be far superior in gaming. With that said, it will also be a huge pain to use for class/portability....so 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Macbook air Intel iris pro or a gt750m...

go with G750Jz.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

You won't really be gaming on a Mac because not all games are supported on it.

A ton of games are supported. Basically only AAA aren't.

OP, I'd say it depends on your situation. If you're more of a gamer, get the G750. If you're more of a normal power user, get the MacBook Pro.

If you don't know which you are, get the MacBook Pro.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You won't really be gaming on a Mac because not all games are supported on it.

He said he will be using windows.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Get the MacBook Pro. Much easier to carry around, better display, and better battery life.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If you want an ultra book I would personally buy a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 'cause it's awesome but out of the two I would get the MacBook.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

If you want an ultra book I would personally buy a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 'cause it's awesome but out of the two I would get the MacBook.

Agreed. For Windows ultra books it doesn't get better than the X1 Carbon.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Thanks guys but it'd be nice if you explained why aswell.

Cheese

The MacBook Pro is much more practical. It's thinner, lighter, has longer battery life, a better display, better trackpad, better keyboard, and faster SSD.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The MacBook Pro is much more practical. It's thinner, lighter, has longer battery life, a better display, better trackpad, better keyboard, and faster SSD.

Not exactly the ideal gaming machine though. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

1 post till 4000 posts gz in advanced.

Anyway guys it's true MacBook Pro is a lot lighter which is really a win win for me but I need power aswell.

Cheese

my favourite option is a gaming PC, and a Chromebook for school.

You'll have a much better gaming experience, and a super light laptop to work on.

What are you studying? will you need specific software for it?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

The gpu in a macbook pro is about on par with integrated graphics....i.e. crap. Its good for games like League, Dota, TF2, but not so much for high demanding games --AAA titles/other... (It can still play those games on low/er settings). 

The Asus G750 has (i believe) at least a GTX 860m, which is similar in performance to a GTX 750 (non-m) (iirc). As such the Asus will perform far better in gaming. 

However, its also a brick. If you have to bring it to class then the Asus will be a nightmare. 

If portability is important, go for the Lenovo Y50, its the best of both worlds. Or, ideally, get a nice powerful gaming desktop and a cheap portable laptop. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

my favourite option is a gaming PC, and a Chromebook for school.

You'll have a much better gaming experience, and a super light laptop to work on.

What are you studying? will you need specific software for it?

Just normal typing, but I'll probably code languages like Java, Python, PhP, HTML, etc etc. I might just get a MacBook Pro and build a gaming PC at home.

Cheese

Just normal typing, but I'll probably code languages like Java, Python, PhP, HTML, etc etc. I might just get a MacBook Pro and build a gaming PC at home.

Or, get MSI's new (not released as of yet) notebook which features a dock that can house a desktop graphics card. 

Or, get MSI's new (not released as of yet) notebook which features a dock that can house a desktop graphics card.

I heard MSI add cheap components and over heats quickly.

Cheese

If you're just doing programming and typing you might as well just get a cheaper Windows laptop rather than a MacBook. It would be a much better investment for something like that.

Most games are available.

Anyway guys it's true MacBook Pro is a lot lighter which is really a win win for me but I need power aswell.

Which MacBook Pro were you thinking of? They're all pretty powerful.

Get the MacBook Pro if you'll be programming. It actually comes with most of those languages preinstalled in OS X which I recommend you try. OS X is a great OS for programmers.

You can read why in the post linked in my sig:

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If you're just doing programming and typing you might as well just get a cheaper Windows laptop rather than a MacBook. It would be a much better investment for something like that.

The MacBook Pro will offer faster compile times, and is better for running lots of stuff. Most programmers I know use 15" MacBook Pro Retinas completely maxed out spec wise as their single computer.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well you can get an ultrabook and stream to it from your pc for gaming-I love the X1 Carbon

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

I said I'll be using it for gaming too. So don't get forget that..

Cheese

I said I'll be using it for gaming too. So don't get forget that..

Lenovo y50 if it has to be one device. Otherwise, portable laptop -- z50, y50, or rMBP and a gaming desktop. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler