Apple support/genius bar experience - rip off + your own

SirBobson

I made a post the other day about my mum's macbook pro (2011 edition), we reached the conclusion that the hard drive was probably damaged. So my mum had made an appointment at the Apple store to see what they thought. Before she left I made sure that she new NOT to accept anything that they charge for without speaking to me first. After apparently doing tests for over an hour they tried to get her to let them replace it with a 500GB HDD and guess how much they would've charged her £140!!!!!!!!!!! A 500GB laptop HDD on amazon is £30. On top of this they said she'd have to pay an extra £30 to keep her current HDD (we wanted to see if we could recover any of the data). So in total they would've charged £170+ just to buy and fit a 500GB HDD and let us keep the current damaged one!!!!!! This is completely outrageous!

Please share your experiences with Apple or other companies

SirBob

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

That's BS. I don't need tech support tbh, and Apple tech support has always been great for me. If there's a problem, if I can't fix it, I go on the internet and ask LTT :)

I made a post the other day about my mum's macbook pro (2011 edition), we reached the conclusion that the hard drive was probably damaged. So my mum had made an appointment at the Apple store to see what they thought. Before she left I made sure that she new NOT to accept anything that they charge for without speaking to me first. After apparently doing tests for over an hour they tried to get her to let them replace it with a 500GB HDD and guess how much they would've charged her £140!!!!!!!!!!! A 500GB laptop HDD on amazon is £30. On top of this they said she'd have to pay an extra £30 to keep her current HDD (we wanted to see if we could recover any of the data). So in total they would've charged £170+ just to buy and fit a 500GB HDD and let us keep the current damaged one!!!!!! This is completely outrageous!

SirBob

If you already knew it was damaged, why didn't you jsut replaced it on your own?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Experience with Apple? My old Retina MacBook Pro has image retention on the display, I called the Apple Reseller ( we don't have apple stores in Ireland), arranged to bring it in.

I take it in, the next day I get a call saying it's ready for pickup. New Samsung PLS display to replace the LG IPS, and the only costs I incurred was travelling to the store in Dublin.

Overall I was very happy. Beats the five weeks I dealt with Dell before when my old man's laptop died due to a motherboard failure, and had to ship it to them, only to find out they couldn't fix it. Had to get a refund, and then buy a new one.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

SirBob

I was dating this chick around January, and for Christmas she received a 15" Macbook Pro w/Retina Display. One day before we were about to 'get down to business' I threw myself onto her bed. It turns out, I actually threw myself onto her Macbook. Huge ****ing decent in the screen. Girl not happy. Bang anyway. Next day, get her to dress really provocative, and head to Apple store. Tell her to head to the guy that looks like the biggest virgin and tell him that it came like that in the box (there is no way this could be possible, legit 20 degree angle dent in the screen). Guy falls for my master plan and exchanges is for free. A month later I find out this chick had been cheating on me. Not gonna lie I would have done the same if she broke my computer. Bitch.

That's BS. I don't need tech support tbh, and Apple tech support has always been great for me. If there's a problem, if I can't fix it, I go on the internet and ask LTT :)

Im in no way trying to say Apples support in general im just sharing my experience sorry if it came across that way

If you already knew it was damaged, why didn't you jsut replaced it on your own?

Because there was apparently a possibility that logic board was broken so no point buying a HDD for no reason

Im in no way trying to say Apples support in general im just sharing my experience sorry if it came across that way

It's their business model. Glad you found out it was just the HDD that was the problem.

\

It's their business model. Glad you found out it was just the HDD that was the problem.

Thanks again for your help yesterday

Edit: or day before xD

Wow, for that much you could've put in a 500GB SSD instead.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#sort=a9&t=0&S=450000,6000000

Which, by the way, is a great upgrade. I also have a 2011 13" MBP that I use for school work and I recently upgraded from the 500GB HDD to a 512GB Plextor M5 Pro, and also from 4GB to 8GB of RAM. What a HUGE difference - I'd still rather use a windows OS (have no choice but to use Mac for my school) but it's made a world of difference overall (and I can always bootcamp it when I've finished school :P).

If you've already replaced the HDD then I wouldn't necessarily worry about it but if you haven't then I'd encourage getting an SSD instead, if you/your mum can afford to.

Because there was apparently a possibility that logic board was broken so no point buying a HDD for no reason

So you (or your mum) drop your notebook, bring it to an apple store to check what is broken, and complain that they take money for that?

I'd say that 60-70£ is a fairly standard quote for a technician hour.

So in total they would've charged £170+ just to buy and fit a 500GB HDD and let us keep the current damaged one!!!!!!

£170 for inspecting a notebook you dropped for damages, replacing the HDD and probably reinstalling OS X imho is not "outrageous"

It is pretty obivous that they won't just charge you the HDD. The technicians don't work for free and also the store cost some money ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I didn't mean "That's BS" in relation to you, I'm saying that about their bloody prices

I didn't mean "That's BS" in relation to you, I'm saying that about their bloody prices

ohhh right  :P