Samsung says its Oculus-powered Gear VR headset will cost $199 (phablet not included)

StingBull

samsung-gear-fashion-week.jpg?w=780&h=99

Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy Gear VR headset will cost $199, a Samsung spokesperson at New York Fashion Week told VentureBeat this evening.

Now, although the exact release date remains fuzzy, it appears we have a final price: $199 for the Gear VR unit, not counting the cost of the Note 4 smartphone, which is rumored to retail for $799 — or $299 with a contract.

So it is $150 cheaper than an Oculus Rift but keep in mind it doesn't come with a phone that is necessary to run it. Granted the Rift doesn't come with a PC either but with the Rift you can use any PC, with this it is not certain if you can even use older Samsung phones let alone other brands.

It would be sweet if you can use any phone that fits the dimension necessary and not just Samsung phones but unfortunately Samsung isn't known to do that. And the fact that they mention Note 4 in the article makes me think this VR headset will only work with the Note 4.

For me I would never buy it unless Samsung opens up the SDK for it so that anyone can develop for it. If that doesn't happen this thing will just die like the first Samsung smartwatch.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/05/samsung-says-its-oculus-powered-gear-vr-headset-will-cost-199-phablet-not-included/

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

If it's an exclusive thing I'm not going to get it. Also, i think the Rift will be better anyway.

Well, they already have a Note 2 VR headset. The Oculus Rift.

Too pricey if you ask me.

It's basically just a head mount for your phone. It's not like it has some fancy electronics it in. How can a plastic case with some cheapo lenses and a headband cost as much as a Nexus 7?

It should be like 100.

100 dollars, and make it compatible with all Oculus Rift software would have been amazing. Now it's just a 200 dollar stand for your Galaxy Note 4 which lets you run some watered down VR apps.

The Gear VR is powered by the new Oculus Mobile SDK, and also uses variations of the Oculus Tracker and firmware built into the headset for extremely accurate, ultra low-latency 3DOF tracking. 

Don't get me wrong, I think its probably priced a bit too high, but then again this is a developers kit pretty much again, so its not a consumer product yet.

But its not as if they are selling plastic for that much. It does have its own trackers, that should help with the experience.

And like with every other product on the market, you aren't just paying for the physical hardware. You are paying for the software, the development etcetc.

It ships with 4 "Experiences" built by Oculus. Cinema/Home/Video/Photo.

Its had the cost of the whole Android SDK being developed at Oculus. That must have taken time to develop, nevermind the fact the latency is equal to the DK2.

I personally am realllly excited about this.

Is it something I would use? Not really, but then again I have a good enough PC to push a Rift.

Most don't, so this will be what they use.

Mobile powered VR is going to be very important for VR getting main stream acceptance.

And when its cheaper, and I can stick something on my head to watch a film in a VR cinema on a plane? sweet.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

But its not as if they are selling plastic for that much. It does have its own trackers, that should help with the experience.

I looked it up and you are correct, it does have its own accelerometer, gyro and compass in it. That makes the price a bit more reasonable, but I still think it's too high.

As much as a Nexus 7? Yeah I don't think so...

Will tech company CEO's ever learn that which the employees who create things already know? You can't half ass things and get away with it (console being the exception that proves the rule)? If this is nothing more than a fancy stand for an expensive phone, it's going to sell about as well as the Xbox one in japan.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hopefully they will not charge for the software so non rich people can just use cloth, a 3d printer or good old fucking duck tape to strap their Note 4s to their faces.

But well what am I saying, non rich people buying a Note 4? If they can afford and overpriced Samsung device they can afford their overpriced accessories, I guess this is a non-issue after all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wow 199 for a piece of plastic where you have to get a compatible phone...

*clap*

Intel3570k  at  4.5ghz 1.300v  Noctua NH-D14    Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1   AsrockZ77 Extreme 6/TB4     Corsair8Gb vengeance memory    120GB Corsair Force SSD     1TB WD black      NZXT Switch 810