NAS Building - CPU Question

Shura

Hello

Iv recently been thinking about building a NAS,, currently we have like 3 PCs(not counting laptops/tablets) running and each with an external HDD with movies/music/pics; some even have duplicates of the same movies which seems like a waste of space, so was planning to switch to NAS but had some questions about building one. I have been reading some DIY guides and one of the common things i see is people recommending to use old pc parts; i actually have an old i7 950 and a evga ftw motherboard i thought about using but that cpu has a TDP of 130W which seems a bit high for a 24/7 NAS system. I'm thinking about turning off HT, disabling some cores and turning on all the power saving features but considering this is my first NAS build, wanted to get some more input and if its worth using these parts or not worth it in the long run; just feels like a waste buying new parts when i still have these. Thanks in advance for any input.

If you have it use it. A NAS can run off of an atom. If you want to reduce the input W by turning off the HT and some cores go ahead. It will still be able to function. Personally I wouldn't care about the high input and would let it run full force. Will function better if you have 3 systems pulling data off of it.

My Build | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S ATX LGA1151  | Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4-2400 Memory | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB & 250GB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM, HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB 7200RPM | Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition | Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Green) | Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) 

heck a celeron should work

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I would only leave 2 cores enabled and run it at like 2GHz, should work fine

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Keep in mind that most of the time the CPU will be in idle on

a NAS, so those 130 W TDP are not really all that relevant in

this scenario.

Bit-tech has some numbers about total power draw (from the wall

socket, not just the CPU) in their review:

Total system power consumption:

Idle: 117 W

Load: 233 W

(source)

I'd estimate you'd be looking at similar numbers for your

scenario. I'm not entirely sure how much power you can save

in idle by disabling cores and hyperthreading, but you can

always give it a shot, the CPU is certainly powerful enough

to have enough horsepower to still easily drive a NAS.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for all the feedback guys. Think i'll build it using what i have now and see how it goes first.

Have a great day everyone.