Rumor: HTC wish to release a liquid metal smartphone by end of the year

Emperor_Piehead

Now that HTC is starting to get money from the success that was the HTC one launch it seems they want to innovate some more and separate themselves farther from normal phone vendors. HTC wants to make a smartphone from amorphous metal alloy and may use the Taiwanese chassis maker Jabon international to produce these phones. They have apparently started hiring chassis manufacturing experts to help incorporate this technology into phones. If this is true they will beat Apple to using this technology as they have also shown interest into putting liquid metal into the Iphone.

What does this mean to smartphones I'm not sure, but what do you think?

Source: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/30659/rumortt-htc-to-release-liquidmetal-smartphone-this-year-won-t-be-called-the-t-1000/index.html

Source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130527PD213.html

Maybe it'll be the next big thing , looks promising !

Interested in Business and Technology

It will be neat maybe they could also use it as a cooler for the phone as the metal is hot it rises to the top of the phone sort of concept.

I dont know what to think... not a clue

Its certainly something weird I imagine falling into a body of water with a liquid metal phone...

I think that this is great! Liquidmetal is basically indestructible (scratch proof, corrosion resistant etc).

And to everyone who doesn't know, Liquidmetal is a product, not physical liquid metal.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I think that this is great! Liquidmetal is basically indestructible (scratch proof, corrosion resistant etc).

And to everyone who doesn't know, Liquidmetal is a product, not physical liquid metal.

I know what it is, but I'm just going off what it sounds like and what comes to mind

hopefully it means indestructable phones with near perfect build quality

But they still have glass. :(

What they need to do is make easily replaceable glass screen covers.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

But they still have glass. :(

What they need to do is make easily replaceable glass screen covers.

Gorilla glass 3 seems very strong

Gorilla glass 3 seems very strong

Yeah, but it still isn't indestructible/scratch proof.

Plus, if it breaks it's a PITA to replace (it's also more expensive from what I've heard).

15" MBP TB

Plus, if it breaks it's a PITA to replace (it's also more expensive from what I've heard 

doesn't gorilla glass 3 have all the scratches and cracks invisible or something like that?

doesn't gorilla glass 3 have all the scratches and cracks invisible or something like that?

Maybe in theory, but my friend has an S4 and I can see the two small scratches he got on it (thankfully not on the screen, but by the buttons).

15" MBP TB

Plus, if it breaks it's a PITA to replace (it's also more expensive from what I've heard).

My HTC Sensation is 2 years old and the screen doesn't have any scratches, if you don't drop it on its screen and you don't put it in your pocket with keys, there's nothing to worry about.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

My HTC Sensation is 2 years old and the screen doesn't have any scratches, if you don't drop it on its screen and you don't put it in your pocket with keys, there's nothing to worry about.

That doesn't protect you from accidents and other people. My friend didn't scratch his screen, his siblings did it >=[

15" MBP TB

Maybe in theory, but my friend has an S4 and I can see the two small scratches he got on it (thankfully not on the screen, but by the buttons).

Got it, but i'm not surprised its scratched tbh all I listened to was the marketing bs from CES.

Would be awesome if this is true. 

On topic about glass, isnt sapphire glass supposed to be way stronger than gorilla glass?

I remember reading about it somewhere and its about a 3 fold increase in strength over gorilla glass.

EDIT:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/151146-your-next-smartphone-might-use-sapphire-glass-instead-of-gorilla-glass

link to article about sapphire glass in phones.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Got it, but i'm not surprised its scratched tbh all I listened to was the marketing bs from CES.

I was hoping it wouldn't get scratched, but sadly, you know. :(

15" MBP TB

Would be awesome if this is true. 

On topic about glass, isnt sapphire glass supposed to be way stronger than gorilla glass?

I remember reading about it somewhere and its about a 3 fold increase in strength over gorilla glass.

EDIT:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/151146-your-next-smartphone-might-use-sapphire-glass-instead-of-gorilla-glass

link to article about sapphire glass in phones.

Would you like to pay for the sapphire glass? I know vertu has done for a while but their phones are so expensive.

Would you like to pay for the sapphire glass? I know vertu has done for a while but their phones are so expensive.

According to the article i linked its going to get cheaper. At least thats the idea behind it. 

Even if it put the price of my phone up by £50 or £100 i think its worth it for a device thats virtually indestructible.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

According to the article i linked its going to get cheaper. At least thats the idea behind it. 

Even if it put the price of my phone up by £50 or £100 i think its worth it for a device thats virtually indestructible.

I guess then recycling phones would be even more important. I would pay the extra also.

I want this. Fingers crossed :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I believe Apple have bought a liquid metal company a few years ago and all they have used it for so far is the iPhone's SIM tray. They probably won't be doing anything new with the design this year too so HTC can easily do this before them. Let's hope they wait for next year and release it as a flagship instead of the one rather then pulling another Butterfly/oneX+

I believe Apple have bought a liquid metal company a few years ago and all they have used it for so far is the iPhone's SIM tray. They probably won't be doing anything new with the design this year too so HTC can easily do this before them. Let's hope they wait for next year and release it as a flagship instead of the one rather then pulling another Butterfly/oneX+

Apple has a contract with the company Liquid metal. Its the same place HTC will most likely get it.