6950 crossfire help not sure

add2

Currently running two 6950 flashed to 6970.

My problem is since their so outdated is it even worth it to try to get another one and purchase a new psu? Or should I just give up and purchase something newer?

Tri crossfire if it even works would equal a 280x maybe???

Thanks much appreciated

Currently running two 6950 flashed to 6970. My problem is since their so outdated is it even worth it to try to get another one and purchase a new psu? Or should I just give up and purchase something newer? Tri crossfire if it even works would equal a 280x maybe??? Thanks much appreciated

If scaled well enough, two 6950s (especially if flashed like your current one) will beat a 280x every time. 

The problem is, there are many known issues with crossfire, and scaling isn't going to be the same in every game... in fact some games won't even be able to take advantage of it.

It really depends on what you play imo, if it's something like BF4... that tends to do well with crossfire, I say go for it (If you don't have the money for a new single graphics card). 

Either way though, if you DO have the money to get a new single graphics card like a 280x, then I say go for that.

EDIT: I just now saw the thing about the PSU. Most 500w+ PSUs (Assuming it's actually decent) will be able to handle two 6950s, but if you HAVE to get a new PSU to get two 6950s working well, then I definitely say get a new single GPU card instead.

Basically, all in all, what I'm saying is if you can't spend enough to get a decent improvement over a single 6950, then a second one is a viable option.

However, if you can afford something like a 280x, then get that.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Save some cash, and sell those cards - then upgrade to an R9 290.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

This might be a dumb question but does it make a difference if one is a sapphire toxic and another is a sapphire reference 6950?

Thanks for the quick reply

Ok I'd edit if they made it possible on BlackBerry sorry for the confusion and not being able to properly format a paragraph. I am currently running two cards but would need to purchase a higher psu if I choose to go with three cards. I tried to edit out tri crossfire but it doesn't work on BlackBerry

Thanks

Ok I'd edit if they made it possible on BlackBerry sorry for the confusion and not being able to properly format a paragraph. I am currently running two cards but would need to purchase a higher psu if I choose to go with three cards. I tried to edit out tri crossfire but it doesn't work on BlackBerry Thanks

Oh, I see. In that case, selling the two 6950s would be your best bet in nearly any game to get a video card that's better. Either that, or of course keep what you have.

A third card in almost any setup gives little scaling in nearly any game. 

If you have the money/can get the money, I think you should sell the two 6950s you have, then anything you were planning on spending for a third card, use it towards getting a newer GPU setup.

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

The fact you'd have to buy a second hand card to get triple Xfire going I'd buy a second hand more powerful beast from the get go.

I keep seeing 7870/7950/7970 variants all very cheap on various online outlets.

If its got warranty left and an included receipt., then go for it.

or

I'd sell those cards for $125-150 each and then put some moneys in and grab something really nice thereafter (Hopefully also on special/cheap/a 2nd hand deal)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

This might be a dumb question but does it make a difference if one is a sapphire toxic and another is a sapphire reference 6950? Thanks for the quick reply

Sapphire "reference" is the Vapor-X which is actually a decent non-reference cooler. The Toxic one however is slightly better.

L6TAGHg.jpg?1

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

i would recommend getting a new gpu, because the 6000 series is pretty outdated.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

-Snipe-

6950*, and they do.

6950*, and they do.

fixed*

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Tyvm and mods if you could send a msg over to the powers that be. Forums on BlackBerry currently using q10 are broke thanks everyoe

I'm currently runing two 6950's in crossfire and I would strongly recommend getting a new card instead. Although on paper crossfired 6950's seem pretty powerful, those cards struggle badly with tessellation and other modern features. Scaling is also very hit and miss, jumping from anything like 25%- 75% depending on the game you're playing. Some games (even AAA titles) go all wobbly with dual cards. 

Save yourself the headaches and just get a new card.

I'm looking at a r9 285 myself, but I'm waiting to see what Nvidia is bringing to the table with their next gen cards.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)