40C-42C acceptable idle temperature for hd 7850?

I have a HIS IceQX Turbo 1gb hd 7850. If I set a custom fan curve in afterburner I can go as far down as 0% and stop the fan from spinning. The graphic card is the loudest component in my system, everything else is completly silent so this would be awesome.

With my card being passiv cooled I get idle temps of 40C-42C. Do you guys think this is a temperature that is acceptable? I don't know when I'll be able to purchase a new graphic card so I would like it to last ~4 years. Will the vram or the vrm get too hot without airflow?

Thanks for any replies

40C is fine.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

40C is fine.

Yeah, that idle temp is definitely fine.

Nothing wrong with 40c..

Do you think it will be fine for ~4 years? What about the vram and vrm not getting any airflow?

Do you think it will be fine for ~4 years? What about the vram and vrm not getting any airflow?

since it's idling the vram and vrm aren't really working hard. It should be fine. However it's a different story under load.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

since it's idling the vram and vrm aren't really working hard. It should be fine. However it's a different story under load.

Don't worry I will configure the fan curve in afterburner to turn on the fan above 42C :D

My HD 7950 idles at about 38-40C

Ok good to know. Thank you :)

Don't worry I will configure the fan curve in afterburner to turn on the fan above 42C :D

Ok good to know. Thank you :)

Are you on multiple monitors?

My HD 7950 OC'ed to 1000/1400 idles at 35*C with fans on auto through MSI afterburner (40% atm), at stock it's below 30.  But the vapor-x cooler is amazing.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

my 7850 (super OC at 1050 gpu and 1330 ram) at max load, reach the 80º and still run flawless

to answer your question

i don't recommend turn off the fan
you can use the fans at 20% and it will do still cero noise

Idle temps is affected by your country's climate. Some countries would have high temps while others have lower temps.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

my 7850 (super OC at 1050 gpu and 1330 ram) at max load, reach the 80º and still run flawless

to answer your question

i don't recommend turn off the fan

you can use the fans at 20% and it will do still cero noise

Nope. My computer is completly silent. The fan is audible even when turning on the lowest speed it can go (18%)

Are you on multiple monitors?

No. I get these idle temps if I passively cool my card by turning the fan off :)

how are you guys able to turn the fan below 20 %? i know i could with an ooooooooooold driver, but i can't anymore... would be nice with a silent 7950 at night :D

how are you guys able to turn the fan below 20 %? i know i could with an ooooooooooold driver, but i can't anymore... would be nice with a silent 7950 at night :D

I can't do it manually. If I set an fan curve in afterburner it allows me to go to 0% though.

unfair, i want silence too :( but it's still not as bad as the stock cooler i'm forced to use...

...also, i can't quote  :huh:

Should have no problem but i suggest turn on the fan even at low RPM just to get the air flowing.

My 7950 idle around 40c@27% fan speed in the afternoon. My 2 years old laptop GPU idle around 50c, and it still kicking.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

My gpu idle at 63c at day and 58c at night with 30% fan speed using stock clock. Been running it for almost 4 years now.