[Completed] SG05 High-End SFF (a.k.a. Linus-sized) build

magicn27

Hey guys, here's my latest build. I had a friend of mine take pictures so I wouldn't show you potato-quality pics.

I wanted to try to build a very good performance/size ratio computer. I previously owned a 350D with similar specs, but I sold it to a friend.

I use this build for school, work, and intermittent gaming. I wanted something with high CPU/RAM availability for VMs and such, while also having good gaming performance.

The GPU might be underpowered compared to the CPU, but that is purposefully so. I could probably have purchased a better GPU, even with the lenght limitation and the PSU power limitations,

but it would not have been worth it, in this case (no pun intended).

Parts (pcpartpicker)

Case: Silverstone Sugo SG05-Lite

Motherboard: ASUS H97I-Plus

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k

GPU: MSI R9 270x Gaming

RAM: ADATA XPG V2 16GB(2x8GB) 1600MHz

PSU: Silverstone ST45F-G 450W Gold Fully Modular

Storeage: ADATA SP900 256GB M.2 SSD

Cooling: Enermax Liqmax 120S

Below are all the best pictures from the build process. It is nothing flashy, be warned. This build is very bare. The pictures in spoiler have been reduced to 40% of the original size, you can see the originals on imgur (link below).

2TElI7X.jpg
AktPo4n.jpg
EP9Vi59.jpg
vK41hxS.jpg
nf0KJTJ.jpg
WlODPaR.jpg

T9dAdLq.jpg
xSPNIl3.jpg
BeOwxQu.jpg
QPaqC4u.jpgBMlSaZu.jpg
ZRrBcBP.jpg
dgziMWp.jpgWI50GbH.jpgjtpIhyB.jpg
8bAMzIJ.jpg
QGOrq82.jpg
QFOmL9Z.jpg
2n1ySmC.jpg
xFWAkFy.jpg
TtOLFt0.jpgD43mNAh.jpg
pdJEUrm.jpg
Q08FSNb.jpg
9Hzzk3U.jpgZybl9Us.jpg

Imgur album (Warning: HighRes pictures)

Youtube timelapse

I'll be posting pics in this post soon, I need to find a way to batch compress the pictures to fit the 2MB upload size limitation. Please let me know if you know a good tool for that. Done

I will also add details regarding the problems I encountered during the build, or particularities of the components, to help guide potential future SG05 builders. Done

Edit: It seems I messed up on youtube, I wanted to mmake the video brighter, I made it darker. Reverting to orginial video at the moment. Should be ok now.

Edit2: I went crazy with the pictures.

Edit3: More information.

Here are the problems and particularities of this build.

1. Be careful with the front panel. I broke a tab the 2nd or 3rd time I took it off. Don't force it.

2. The power led is very bright. I didn't plug either the power or hdd activity led.

3. I decided to use a 120mm watercooling kit. It was very close to the graphics card. I decided to put electric tape on the rad surface closest to the graphics card to be sure it wouldn't short. Yes, I know the rad is painted, but the back of the card has pointy stuff which could scratch the paint and expose the aluminium.

4. I think you would be better off with a single high-performance fan on a thick rad than a push-pull setup like I have.

5. It might be just my unit, but the pump noise on my Enermax Liqmax 120s is quite loud.

6. The graphics card is, as measured by myself, 262mm long at its longest. I measured the inside of the case as 264mm. My card fit alright, but it took some wiggling to get in the slot. It was so tight, I had to remove my ram dimms in order to have more room to manoeuver. I'd recommend installing the graphics card right after installing the bare motherboard.

7. Get the modular version of the PSU if you want a clean build.

8. Consider using a M.2 ssd if you want a really clean build. They aren't that much pricier than regular sata ssd's, and many Z97/H97 boards support it.

9. Consider using H97 boards if you plan a light to moderate overclocking, most support it. I think even some h87 boards support oc'ing. I'm at 4.5GHz on a 4790k tested 24h with p95.

If you have any more question, post a comment, I really like talking about this build.

Edit 4: Thanks @coen113 for pointing out that I should spoiler groups of pics, not individual pics. Fixed that.

I'll be posting pics in this post soon, I need to find a way to batch compress the pictures to fit the 2MB upload size limitation. Please let me know if you know a good tool for that.

Copy the imgur links and press picture button to post the picture easily.

post-1744-0-95249500-1409799264.png

Nice, and you should be able to just link the imgur pics here, but they are very large (and good pics too, hi res)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Nice, and you should be able to just link the imgur pics here, but they are very large (and good pics too, hi res)

Yeah, spoilers for the embedded pictures would be awesome.

That build is so clean and well managed, I feel really satisfied watching the whole time-lapsed video. Good job!

That build is so clean and well managed, I feel really satisfied watching the whole time-lapsed video. Good job!

Thanks, atrash, this comment makes me really happy. I wanted everything to be well organized in this build to maximze airflow, and I think I did fine. The M.2 SSD is CRUCIAL. By having the M.2 SSD under the motherboard, I don't need the sata data cable, AND the psu sata power cable. Glad I spent a bit (20-30 CAD) more for that.

BTW, for those who might wonder why the heatsink was installed at the beginning of the build, I had tested to motherboard, cpu, and ram before building in the case. The reason I did not use the stock heatsink for that test is that I didn't have anything to clean the thermal compound that would have been left on the cpu by the stock heatsink. Therefore, I installed the AIO liquid cooler before the timelapse was shot.

@magicn27 Did you tape the radiator because you were worried it might short the graphics card?

Yeah, I did. It's been running fine so far.

What monitors are those? They are damn sexy :D

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Dell S2340L. They are vey nice, indeed. IPS panel, with a very slim bezel which makes them awesome for multi-monitor setups. I love that they are glossy, the colors are superb, and I don't have to deal with reflections because of where they are located in the room. However, I can see how the reflections could be bothersome. Their main problems are their lack of VESA mount support, their limited (hdmi, vga) inputs, and their non height adjustable stand. However, the stand looks good, and the whole monitor looks minimalist and clean. Got them for 129 CAD a piece, with free shipping, directly from dell.ca. I don't regret that purchase.

Nice, but my question is, why did you get a H97 motherboard instead of a Z97 with that 4690K?

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Nice, but my question is, why did you get a H97 motherboard instead of a Z97 with that 4690K?

Good question. This Asus H97I-Plus, along with many other H97 boards, supports overclocking via the multiplier. This board had all the features I needed at a very attractive price point. My 4790k is currently overclocked at 4.5GHz p95 24h stable.

Good question. This Asus H97I-Plus, along with many other H97 boards, supports overclocking via the multiplier. This board had all the features I needed at a very attractive price point. My 4790k is currently overclocked at 4.5GHz p95 24h stable.

That is not what I expected.

IW8simF.gif

Good OC on that i7 m8 ;)I hope i will get to overclock my 4670K once I upgrade to Broadwell/Maxwell

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

For gods sake. Dont spoiler every picture individually

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Linus was that of a midget...

For gods sake. Dont spoiler every picture individually

What you said makes so much sense that I feel like this...

f9FW2.gif

I am obviously a noob forum poster.