Power Supply for Titan Black SLI?

Go to solution Solved by BiG StroOnZ,

Why do you want to waste OP's money?

4930K uses ~150W for the whole system at full load at stock speed

Titan black uses ~250W when overclocked at full load

2x250 = 500W, + 150-200W + ~700W with tons of headroom for power draw peaks.

@haurshanked your 860i is more than enough to run the system with 2 Titan Blacks in SLI, ignore everyone who says it isn't.

I'm going by other people who have tried to run SLI Titans on a socket 2011 rig, and experienced shut offs because the lack of power. These people overclocked both the CPU and GPU and were experiencing shut offs.

On paper you can tell people that they only need "this amount of power" to run "these components" but it's better to have headroom as opposed to not being able to run the rig at all. Some of these people experiencing shut offs were even running 1000W PSU's. With simple overclocks on both their CPU and GPU's. 

You say ignore everyone who says an 860i isn't enough power, but there have been plenty of instances of people who ran SLI Titans and didn't have enough power. I've seen people draw 500W off of a single Titan before. 

You also completely ignored the Peak draw, and only went by the averages:

02-Power-Draw-Reference-Gaming.png

05-Power-Draw-Windforce-Gaming.png

I currently have a system with a high end motherboard+4930k overclocked to 4.5hz. core voltage 1.35. 1 evga titan black super clocked, oced by 100mhz, 1 hard drive, 3 ssd. all these hardware is running on corsair ax860i. Im planning on getting another titan black to complete my 4k sli set up.

so my question is, is this power supply (corsair ax860i) enough for 2 titan blacks plus all these other hardwares i listed? if not, what psu should i be getting?

thanks in advance for the help guys

Why no 5930K, 5820k, or a 5960x?

X99 chipset is pretty expensive and don't even talk about DDR4.

well..... i built this computer a while back and x99 wasn't out yet :P

besides, the consecutive generations of cpu doesn't give much boost to the performance, not enough for me to pay a fortune for at least :)

well..... i built this computer a while back and x99 wasn't out yet :P

besides, the consecutive generations of cpu doesn't give much boost to the performance, not enough for me to pay a fortune for at least :)

ohhh, it's already built.

Diamond 5 in League :)

No. The power supply calculator recommend 950W. Minimum is 850W.

A power supply that I like is the Cooler Master V1000. It's fully-modular and 80 Plus Gold.

thanks for ur help!

yea i tried using all the psu calculator websites and they all gave me different results. some say my future setup will be pulling around the 800w mark some say it'll pull 900w ish

gonna do more research as i  wait for more replies

thanks again

thanks for ur help!

yea i tried using all the psu calculator websites and they all gave me different results. some say my future setup will be pulling around the 800w mark some say it'll pull 900w ish

gonna do more research as i  wait for more replies

thanks again

Come back when you have decided! LTT will always help you. :)

Maybe he built this system a while ago?

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I run 2 blacks, 4790k, 2 SSDs, bluray, and water loop with 11 fans with a 1200i. Psu works great.

No. The power supply calculator recommend 950W. Minimum is 850W.

A power supply that I like is the Cooler Master V1000. It's fully-modular and 80 Plus Gold.

I'll mention a few solid 1000W PSU's that should handle the job.

As mentioned, Cooler Master V1000

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 

Rosewill CAPSTONE-1000-M

Seasonic X-Series 1050W

Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution ST1000-G 

@haurshanked your 860i is more than enough to run the system with 2 Titan Blacks in SLI, ignore everyone who says it isn't.

Look here if you don't believe me, my retailer will sell you a SLI 780Ti setup with even the AX760i and overclocked 4790K, 110W is more than the power draw jump between 4790K and 4930K.

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/configurator/watercooled-overclocked-custom-gaming-pc-uk-nvidia-sli-cyclonesli

I'm going by other people who have tried to run SLI Titans on a socket 2011 rig, and experienced shut offs because the lack of power. These people overclocked both the CPU and GPU and were experiencing shut offs.

On paper you can tell people that they only need "this amount of power" to run "these components" but it's better to have headroom as opposed to not being able to run the rig at all. Some of these people experiencing shut offs were even running 1000W PSU's. With simple overclocks on both their CPU and GPU's. 

You say ignore everyone who says an 860i isn't enough power, but there have been plenty of instances of people who ran SLI Titans and didn't have enough power. I've seen people draw 500W off of a single Titan before. 

What 1kw units were these that shut down?

How did you leave room for Power Draw peaks? Your math is based on their averages of 250, 250x2 is 500, then you say 150-200W for the CPU. The single Titan Black was peaking to 400W. If two of them both peaked to 400W at the same time then how much would that be? 

Anyway, they were Corsair. 

Thats with a custom bios, my bios is locked to 280w. Just DL a titan black bios and put it in kepler bios tweaker you can read the wattage limits. 860W is plenty for a S2011 system and two titans. I've never managed getting above 800W yet with my 780's and 3930K yet (although I haven't gone harsh on OC'ing) with prime95 & Furmark. Sure you can pull more than 850W with a heavy OC on CPU and GPU overvolted. Doubt he's going to put it on water and flashing his titans with a custom bios, so in Furmark he'd most likely have the gpu's alone pulling around 500-550W.

Just running heaven quickly; highest amps I've seen going to the GPU's was around 25A that's 300W and the pcie socket provides each 75W so 450W in total. For the price of an ax860i you can get a supernova 1000 P2, he's better off with a 850 G2.

A lot of what people don't understand is that TDP is NOT how much power it uses, it's how much it's designed to be cooled (therefore "thermal design".)

Use a power supply calculator, screenshot it and prove to me that he only needs 850W.

Also, it's not a good idea to be stressing your power supply at a higher range, it's efficiency peak is at around 50%.

agreed. people never think of peaks. I've argued on here with people when I say go overkill on your ps, it wont hurt. I've said, PS are a lot more efficient the less you push them. then blaaa blaa blaa, I'm stupid blaa blaa blaa 

wow thank you man! appreciate all your effort!!

was busy yesterday so i didn't get a chance to check my thread

Big thank you to everybody :)