GTX 780 - PC not booting

nflasky

Hi I have an HPE Phoenix 1185, this is the link to the spec sheet - http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/qw828aa.pdf

I have had this system for about a year now,  I have had a GTX 670 as well as a GTX 680 installed on the system (they worked perfectly).  I recently sold my 680 and bought the 780.  When I install the card the hp start up screen comes on and just stays there for a while.  I hear a beep followed by another beep about 30 seconds later.  The screen then turns black and a cursor blinks in the top left.  I refreshed Windows and deleted any drivers associated with past GPUs.  I have slaved in a 7770 and everything works fine, but when I put the 780 back in the same issue always happens.  The PSU on the system is 600w which is recomended by nvidia for the 780.  Im not sure what to do.  Could the 780 be bad?  Is there any troubleshooting steps I should try?

What is the power supply wattage?

The 780 uses more power than a 7770, 670 and 680.

Pre-Built computers from companies (Hp, Dell, ect...) uses powersupply just big enough for the current GPU in the system that they put in. The powersupply is most likely your problem here.

Just saw the powersupply wattage, 600W is pushing the PSU, but should be enough though.

You think that would cause this issue?  In Linus' review of the 780 he says you could probably get by with a 450 or 500w PSU.

If the psu has multiple rails... but then again, I can't really imagine that the system will draw that amount of power at startup

You think that would cause this issue?  In Linus' review of the 780 he says you could probably get by with a 450 or 500w PSU.

Under full load, your 780 consumes about 250W, but that doesn't explain why it won't boot. 

This is the info on my PSU

PART NUMBER 633186-001
INPUT
100-127V~50-60Hz,10A
200-240V~50-60Hz,4A

OUTPUT
+12Va---------16A
+12Vb---------18A
+12Vc---------12A
+12Vd---------10A
+5.08V--------16A
+3.3V----------15A
+5.08Vsb-------2A
-12V------------0.3A
MAX POWER 600W
600W

the beeps that you hear at start up are usually very specific; you need to dig up your motherboard's manual and listen to the beeps. Depending on the manual there is either a section at the front or the back and it'll have a table in with all the beeps that you can hear. listen to what your getting at boot then look it up and it should tell you your issue.

Hopes this helps.

Post back with what you find.

Not sure if your motherboard has a de-bug LED. If there is one, look up the code up on your manual. 

Never mind, no De-Bug LED

The motherboard is custom for HP products I think, haven't found the manual.

if you can (open the gab and look), check how much amps you have in the +12v rail

Really frustraing, the 680 worked great, kinda regret buying the 780 until I build my own system.  Everything on the Gpu seems to be running including the geforce led as well as the fan.

PART NUMBER 633186-001

INPUT

100-127V~50-60Hz,10A

200-240V~50-60Hz,4A

OUTPUT

+12Va---------16A

+12Vb---------18A

+12Vc---------12A

+12Vd---------10A

+5.08V--------16A

+3.3V----------15A

+5.08Vsb-------2A

-12V------------0.3A

MAX POWER 600W

600W

is the PSU

The motherboard is custom for HP products I think, haven't found the manual.

Try contacting their support and ask for a user guide - or browse the web to find it. 

While trouble shooting the psu, it would be helpful to find out what the beep is telling you.

But, assuming that you installed the card correctly, if everything worked fine before, the only thing that one can point to is the psu. 

Ugh, hope its not the PSU, i wouldnt mind changing it if the cable routing in the system wasnt such a mess

PART NUMBER 633186-001

INPUT

100-127V~50-60Hz,10A

200-240V~50-60Hz,4A

OUTPUT

+12Va---------16A

+12Vb---------18A

+12Vc---------12A

+12Vd---------10A

+5.08V--------16A

+3.3V----------15A

+5.08Vsb-------2A

-12V------------0.3A

MAX POWER 600W

600W

Looks like a multi-rail PSU to me. Try moving the PCI-e connectors to different PCI-e ports on the PSU and see if that will make any difference.

see if you can plug in the 12v+ b rail into the gpu (i don't know the colour codes, is it marked on the case)

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Really frustraing, the 680 worked great, kinda regret buying the 780 until I build my own system.  Everything on the Gpu seems to be running including the geforce led as well as the fan.

To be honest, you may have just found the perfect reason to start building your new pc! There's always a bright side to things! 

12*18 = 216 watts ... i think that the 12 volt b rail would be the only one that can power that card 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

12*18 = 216 watts ... i think that the 12 volt b rail would be the only one that can power that card 

The GTX 780's max power draw is 250W.

Best way would be to plug the 8-pin PCI-e power cable to the 18A rail and the 6-pin PCI-e power cable to the 16A rail so load is spread out over those 2 rails instead of just 1.

Just seems weird, why would you need all that power just to start windows. Also that psu is impossible to move any power cables. Any recommendations on a new psu?

I'd suggest you build a new PC around that 780 ^^

Mobo ram psu case, perhaps an SSD if you don't have one yet :D [much fore fun and will work for sure]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Just seems weird, why would you need all that power just to start windows. Also that psu is impossible to move any power cables. Any recommendations on a new psu?

I think it may be that some components need a large starting power just to start them.

As for you PSU, I'd recommend something like this if you are planning on getting a new one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151106