AIO Cooler leaked and broke my 780?

Faceman

My GPU is dead. This is all but certain, I have gone through all of the troubleshooting steps that I have thought of and I will post them below, hopefully someone can recommend something I haven't thought of, or they can diagnose the problem.

My specs:
I5-4670k
Cooler Master Seidon 240M
Z97-AR
8GB 2400Mhz, C10
EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX
Kingston V300 120GB
2TB Seagate Barracuda
Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I had recently discovered that by upgrading from a Z87 to Z97 motherboard, that I was able to overclock much better. I was in the process of lowering the voltage on my 4.5Ghz 1.2v overclock. I was surprised that each time I lowered the voltage, I was still stable in Battlefield4. I made it all the way down to 1.165 stable with a 45 multiplier. I then decided to jump down to 1.165v-I was stable. I was playing a match, it was a long one, TDM first to 400 kills, I had been playing for about 20 minutes and then all of a sudden my computer screen turned brown. I thought this was strange, but I've never heard of a brown screen from an unstable overclock. My temperatures were fantastic, I didn't think it could be an issue of overheating of throttling. Thinking it was just a BSOD, I waited for the computer to restart it self, but it didn't. I then force restarted and tried to get back into Windows.

It looked normal, like I would be booting back into the BIOS, but then this happened, the white artifacts all over.

Followed by this

My initial reaction was that something was wrong with the CPU because I was in the process of trying to reduce voltage. So I removed the GPU from the system, plugged the monitor into the motherboard and the computer booted up perfectly, no artifacts nothing. While I was able to do stuff on the computer, I went into BIOS and reverted everything back to default. I recently got some individually sleeved cables, and decided to try plugging the GPU straight into the PSU's cables instead of the sleeved ones. Still no luck. Then I decided that it must be a problem with the GPU, and I need to take a look inside.

It is perfectly in-tact, nothing wrong with it.

Next I think that maybe it is the PCI Lane that has gone down, I try plugged the GPU into the 2nd slot. Still getting the exact same white dashes everywhere. I do have a Cooler Master Seidon 240M in my case, so I thought maybe something had leaked--but I had been using the AIO perfectly for 2 months now without issue and there was no sign of liquid anywhere in the case. I removed the EVGA Backplate that I had to pay an extra $20 for, that should really come with a $500 card, I'm still bitter about it!

Now, it does kind of look like there is some gunk of some sort, but it is not wet and it feels like it is part of the PCB. Regardless, it doesn't look good. Do you think my computer's symptoms are indicative of water damage? That is the only thing I can think of at this point.

My GPU did have the lowest ASIC Score of any 780 out of 500-some submitted scores on OC.net. A measly 63.1%. My GPU cannot overclock AT ALL. Even adding +62mV doesn't give me any gains over stock. I have never seen anything like this and am unsure of what to do. I've spent the last 5 hours trouble shooting and am basically waiting for EVGA Customer Service to open up so that I can get an RMA moving along.

Anyone have anything to add or any thoughts please?

EDIT #1:  I am very impressed with EVGA's Service and RMA department thus far.  I woke up at 8am to give them a call and get the RMA started.  The guy on the phone was nice, he was a gamer, and did also know his stuff, so talking with him was very pleasant and easy.  The only thing that's disappointing to me is that they will not be able to tell me what happened with the card, just a simple pass or fail.  After submitting the RMA number online, they say it will take up to 2 business days to get approval.  Approval was granted in about two hours and I was able to ship my card of the same day.

I am hopeful that I will get issued a replacement card, I don't think it is anything that I did that could have damaged the card.  EVGA Has been incredibly fast so far, and I am hoping to get my card back by the end of next week, around Friday or Saturday.  Definitely before the launch of ArcheAge.  I was thinking about buying a back-up card, but I don't think I will need to because it seems like this is a faster process than I originally anticipated.  This is my first ever RMA to the manufacturer, in times past when something went wrong, it was always within the first 30 days.  I am really happy that I decided to go with EVGA as a brand because everyone said how fantastic their customer service and RMA department is.  A key selling point for me in the future when dealing with EVGA and why they should remain at the top of the list for your purchases because they stand by their products.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Maybe it was caused by constantly humping your computer :P

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

you should probably test your overclock in prime95, not just "is it stable in battlefield" but thats probably not why this happened

you should probably test your overclock in prime95, not just "is it stable in battlefield" but thats probably not why this happened

I do test in P95.  Thing is, I have found more instability when playing BF4 then testing with P95.  So I was testing with BF4 with adaptive mode.  This has nothing to do with the problem though.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Maybe it was caused by constantly humping your computer :P

Touche, nice comment.

Q-Tips with alcohol to whatever that is on the PCB of your card?

Ya, I think I will try that.  I just have no idea how it could have occurred.  There is no leaking of the AIO that I can see, and it doesn't look like enough gunk to cause those symptoms, and it happened all of a sudden while gaming.  I actually remember what happened. I was playing Operation Locker, I had an RPG out getting ready to shoot.  I shoot it and a teammate walks right in front of me and it blows up killing myself and then BAM! Brown screen.

How old is it? If it's somewhat new, threaten to sue Cooler Master. If they don't reply, take them to court under consumer law circumstances.

How old is it? If it's somewhat new, threaten to sue Cooler Master. If they don't reply, take them to court under consumer law circumstances.

I'm not even sure if it is the AIO. Signs seem to point to that though, but not definitive. 

I have had it running perfectly fine for 10 weeks now, so it is not old at all. I don't understand how it could happen all of a sudden does this during a game?

The film thats on the back of the card looks likethe flux from manufacturing. I have the same stuff on GTX 770.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

No,

prime is horrible for haswell, use OCCT or Aida64.

Also OP, what were your voltages? I hope it is 1.165v instead of 1.65v :P

I'm not even sure if it is the AIO. Signs seem to point to that though, but not definitive. 

I have had it running perfectly fine for 10 weeks now, so it is not old at all. I don't understand how it could happen all of a sudden does this during a game?

Investigate, but if you conclude it's from the AiO, it's a defective unit. Then take legal action, and threaten to take them too the Small Claims court. If they don't respond, take them to court.

Also, the area where the "stain" is on the video card is no where near the AIO

No,

prime is horrible for haswell, use OCCT or Aida64.

Also OP, what were your voltages? I hope it is 1.165v instead of 1.65v :P

Prime95 is perfectly fine for use with manual voltage.  Yes, 1.165, I changed it now.

The film thats on the back of the card looks likethe flux from manufacturing. I have the same stuff on GTX 770.

Right, that's what I mean.. it feels like it is a part of the PCB and not something external.

Plus, the AIO's potential weak spots are no where near where that gunk is on the card.

Prime95 is perfectly fine for use with manual voltage.  Yes, 1.165, I changed it now.

Yeah it's fine for manual voltage, also did you do any changes to FSB?

Also does your GPU have dual bios?

Hmm do you happen to have another video that you can put in to try and flash your GTX 780 SC BIOs back to stock?

I've had to do that also a few differnet times for unknown reasons.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Hmm do you happen to have another video that you can put in to try and flash your GTX 780 SC BIOs back to stock?

I've had to do that also a few differnet times for unknown reasons.

Its at stock BIOS?  I never messed with it.  It doesn't even OC, it is at stock.

Yeah it's fine for manual voltage, also did you do any changes to FSB?

Also does your GPU have dual bios?

FSB?

No dual BIOS, everything is stock because the GPU doesn't OC worth a damn.

Its at stock BIOS?  I never messed with it.  It doesn't even OC, it is at stock.

Well do you have another card to test to make sure it isnt the cable your using for the card to connect to your monitor?

|King Of The Lost|

Well do you have another card to test to make sure it isnt the cable your using for the card to connect to your monitor?

Don't own a 2nd card.  I tried using DVI and HDMI, both didn't work with the GPU.

FSB?

No dual BIOS, everything is stock because the GPU doesn't OC worth a damn.

FSB is the thing that is stock at 100Mhz, changing it a lot may cause ram and gpu issues :)

FSB is the thing that is stock at 100Mhz, changing it a lot may cause ram and gpu issues :)

oh, front side bus?

No, its at 100, I never messed with that.

Don't own a 2nd card.  I tried using DVI and HDMI, both didn't work with the GPU.

If you can't get it up and running in say the next 2 hours or so just RMA it with EVGA and they should have a replacment card out in a few days for you.

|King Of The Lost|

If you can't get it up and running in say the next 2 hours or so just RMA it with EVGA and they should have a replacment card out in a few days for you.

Ya, thats what I'm hoping, im on hold right.