Michelle Obama's "Healthy Food Program" Rant

Everythings become whole wheat at my school because of this, even the fuckin cookies! :'( ive just start not eating a main and just getting chips and gold fish.. Totes healthier

Cheap whole wheat bread contains high fructose corn syrup, white bread almost guaranteed to contain it, among other things that gunk up our intestines.  Remember in pre-school, at least I do, when we needed paste for our little projects they'd take flour and mix it with water to create paste.  Yeah, think of eating 4 slices of bread a day, it's slowing down your digestion so some calories that would normally pass through as fiber, are actually getting in our system rather than passing through.  

Even you younger guys who are healthy now, not gaining weight, imagine what that does to your body over 40 years, slow degeneration.  I'm not saying you can't eat whatever the hell you want, I'm just saying be wary of processed foods and try to limit them for your own good.  If you can make it in your own kitchen you're better off.  

But your location says Silicon Valley North. Are you in Canada or America? Tim Horton's doesn't really exist in America, do they?

I hear they're coming to the states, I've never been there at all, but I hear the coffee is good. 

Pizza and burgers aren't exactly unhealthy, it's the way they're made that makes them unhealthy. All this fake crap in our foods is what's making people fat.

Don't forget a large portion of this country doesn't like to do any form of exercise so you can't blame the food in it's entirety.

Pizza and burgers aren't exactly unhealthy

What? Even if the ingredients were fresh, they're both mainly carbs and the pizza will never have anything good like spinach or mushrooms on it. Pepperoni isn't health food no matter how well it's prepared.

Burgers can be good, but again, 99% of kids will get cheese and nothing else. Add some (real) lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, and so on, and then it's not half bad.

The point is, even if the food was organic, kids won't add anything of nutritional value on top of the bare-minimum that they're used to.

I hear they're coming to the states, I've never been there at all, but I hear the coffee is good. 

Burger King bought them.

Either we're getting TH, or Canada is getting BK.

One of those ends in a lot of angry people, the other ends in a lot of Canadians getting confused (they can't get mad, can they?)

So Michelle Obama's Healthy Food Program was started with the intentions of lowering obesity, which is a big problem.

However in my personal experience the program has increased costs of food, thus cutting funding from other things, also it limits the calories to 750 - 850, an active teenager needs 2000-5000 per day to be healthy.

Kids are just packing lunches which are far more unhealthy, over 1 million kids have stopped eating school lunch due to this.

So, I just started school today, and have noticed healthier foods over the past few years due to this, but they were still decently palatable.

However,in 2nd period our principal came to every class to tell us not to bully... and not to blame the lunch ladies for the food, which was odd because in all the previous years he had never mentioned that, but nobody thought anything of it.

But we all received a shock in the lunchroom, no pepperoni on pizza, no chicken sandwiches(My favorite thing there), no hamburgers,no hot pretzels, so we all found the one palatable thing in there, chicken bites, mashed potatoes, and breadsticks.

Also, it has removed most meat, and everyone I know agrees the food tastes like $h1t, one of my friends described the "breadsticks" as tasting like "Stale pizza goldfish with way to much onion".

I only ate the chicken and some mashed potatoes after that thought.

The chicken tasted like whole wheat breading with some mystery meat, and the potatoes tasted like the kind you may find on a street corner in the middle of the desert with sand on them.

Sorry for the rant but this $h1t sucks.

-Nuclear Nerd

The thing is, in real life the only people whom have ever complained about the healthy food program were obese to say the least. If others experiences were similar then I can see why nothing will change due to the protesters demographics. That isn't to say you personally are obese, but one guy will ruin everything.

Plus you can just bring your own lunch and have your favorite teacher put it in their fridge for you.

Everythings become whole wheat at my school because of this, even the fuckin cookies! :'( ive just start not eating a main and just getting chips and gold fish.. Totes healthier

Whole wheat is good. White bread is essentially air + carbs, as they bleach the ground wheat, and that rapes any chance of nutritional value.

What? Even if the ingredients were fresh, they're both mainly carbs and the pizza will never have anything good like spinach or mushrooms on it. Pepperoni isn't health food no matter how well it's prepared.

Burgers can be good, but again, 99% of kids will get cheese and nothing else. Add some (real) lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, and so on, and then it's not half bad.

The point is, even if the food was organic, kids won't add anything of nutritional value on top of the bare-minimum that they're used to.

You just pointed out the problem I get at. The food itself can be healthy. Extremely so actually. Nobody wants to prepare or add healthy things to it though. 

Cheap whole wheat bread contains high fructose corn syrup, white bread almost guaranteed to contain it, among other things that gunk up our intestines.  Remember in pre-school, at least I do, when we needed paste for our little projects they'd take flour and mix it with water to create paste.  Yeah, think of eating 4 slices of bread a day, it's slowing down your digestion so some calories that would normally pass through as fiber, are actually getting in our system rather than passing through.  

Even you younger guys who are healthy now, not gaining weight, imagine what that does to your body over 40 years, slow degeneration.  I'm not saying you can't eat whatever the hell you want, I'm just saying be wary of processed foods and try to limit them for your own good.  If you can make it in your own kitchen you're better off.

i could try eating hay and oats :3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Are they still counting ketchup as a vegetable? 

You just pointed out the problem I get at. The food itself can be healthy. Extremely so actually. Nobody wants to prepare or add healthy things to it though. 

Well the way you said it, it seemed like you mean that if it were better food, it would be healthy.

We need to teach kids what a fucking tomato is before we can even get as far as having them putting them in their sandwiches by choice.

Are they still counting ketchup as a vegetable? 

They officially considered pizza as a vegetable and I was *this* close to killing someone.

Bread, as is produced commercially for mass consumption, even if whole wheat, the additives and processing make it inherently less good for you.  But nothing is black and white but shades of gray, if we start moving toward what's good and away from what's bad it will work out.  But it's beyond individual choice here, the food in stores is more and more becoming frankenfood and it's crowding out the real food. 

Well the way you said it, it seemed like you mean that if it were better food, it would be healthy.

We need to teach kids what a fucking tomato is before we can even get as far as having them putting them in their sandwiches by choice.

First we would have to grow normal tomatoes.

Bread, as is produced commercially for mass consumption, even if whole wheat, the additives and processing make it inherently less good for you.  But nothing is black and white but shades of gray, if we start moving toward what's good and away from what's bad it will work out.  But it's beyond individual choice here, the food in stores is more and more becoming frankenfood and it's crowding out the real food. 

That's why my family joined a CSA and we graze grass on the weekends...

I mean, we eat lots of vegetables.

First we would have to grow normal tomatoes.

True. But wait, I already do! :lol:

We started a garden this year, I could eat those tomatoes like apples. Ugh. And that basil...

[eyeroll of pleasure intensifies]

True. But wait, I already do! :lol:

We started a garden this year, I could eat those tomatoes like apples. Ugh. And that basil...

[eyeroll of pleasure intensifies]

Most of America doesn't have the space to grow their own food and even if they started the FDA, EPA, and whoever the hell else would trample it because it's becoming illegal in one way or another.

Most of America doesn't have the space to grow their own food and even if they started the FDA, EPA, and whoever the hell else would trample it because it's becoming illegal in one way or another.

If it were illegal it's only at the behest of companies like Monsanto or General Mills. 

My garden is a couple of 2x4s nailed together. Probably 5 square feet in all xD

We still buy most of our stuff, just organic and (preferably) local.

Kids shouldn't be eating pizza and hamburgers on a daily basis for lunch, no wonder their are ridiculous obesity problems in the US. Just because that junk is high calorie doesn't mean it's good for people who need more energy, its full of saturated fat, salt and sugar.

You should be thankful. Be thankful you eat at all and not starve like high school kids in Africa and parts of Asia do.

I know that I live in a 1st world country. And I am a year younger than everyone in my grade, don't play sports and can eat 3 steaks and still have a very muscular build, a 4-6 pack and am not fat from bk or McDonald and stronger than many off the football players that should just prove that as a teen you can consume large amounts of food with a fast metabolism.

-snip-

You should see how many calories are scarfed down by Olympic athletes when they are in training. Fatty food isn't as omg terrible if you actually burn the calories off.

Well fats are only good if they are unsaturated. Some saturated fats are OK too, but a large amount of them is not good.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I know that I live in a 1st world country. And I am a year younger than everyone in my grade, don't play sports and can eat 3 steaks and still have a very muscular build, a 4-6 pack and am not fat from bk or McDonald and stronger than many off the football players that should just prove that as a teen you can consume large amounts of food with a fast metabolism and not get fat. Sorry for the run on sentence.