H440 "Inverted" - 2012 Rebuild - Updated 5th September

j4m3
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE 1

So i ordered up my H440 and this is what arrived. Its the orange special edition.

2014_08_21_19_53_34.jpg

Why would i buy a special edition color? Simple it was £10 cheaper than the rest, one thing i will say is the orange color is much more vibrant than it looks in the photos! its actually really nice, but i didn't care.

Disassembly

One thing i will say is these things really do come apart as easy as everyone says, 4 screws along the side then a couple of tabs to bend, the grills are just held in with either 3 or 2 screws.

2014_08_31_12_16_33.jpg

The NZXT panel on the PSU shroud i almost snapped trying to get it off, its held on with three screws and 2 very tight push fit pins, make sure you push them flush before trying to yank it off.

The Paint.

With the money i saved buying the orange h440 i invested in some really nice gloss white spray paint. The only problem i had with the paint was the initial plastic surface wasn't too great, i don't know if it was just mine but they had really bad casting lines across the plastic parts (where the two half's of the mold have closed when it was made i assume.) they where really hard to see on camera but it took me a while to sand them flush.

the plan was to paint 2 coats of primer to help cover the casting lines and then 3/4 coats of paint with a wet sand between coats, i figured this would give me a nice glossy finish.

2014_08_31_01_06_42.jpg

2014_08_31_01_07_07.jpg

This is after the second coat of paint, getting into all the edges where the grills are was a pain but i could already tell it was going to be worth it the finish was coming along nicely.

another 2 coats of paint later and this is my end result, the wet sanding took me a while but the finish you get is fantastic. (higher res images)

2014_08_31_12_15_00.jpg

then came the job of putting all the parts back together, i haven't finished the NZXT badge yet so it will come when i finish putting my system inside the case.

2014_08_31_12_43_00.jpg

next.jpg

Make sure you paint around the usb ports because you do see that through.

2014_08_31_12_43_20.jpg

and one last image just to show you the kind of finish i got with my paint so sorry for the weird back door thing going on, it was so i could catch the light. (not the casting line i was talking about, i diddnt see this one till after the second coat of paint so i just had to smooth it out the best i could)

next_2.jpg

So thats all i have the now, over the weekend i will be finishing the nzxt badge and putting the system together so i hope you will come back to see the finished rig, and some proper high res photos (not taken with my nexus) thanks.

I know this is a really old post, but can we see the final photos, the finished product of this project?

• 3 months later...

Any updates ?

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

• 1 year later...

Shame there were no updates on this, as this is something i'm doing this month. Don't know if i'll stick to the inverted. Might accent the NZXT. logo with blue as well as a blue stripe to match components. But thanks for showing me it's relatively possible. 

Option 1:

Screenshot_20.png

Option 2:Screenshot_21.png

PC Specs: 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K  GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (FE)  Motherboard: ASRock x99 Extreme4  PSU: Bequiet! Powerzone 650W  RAM:  32Gb DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (white) 2400mhz  CPU Cooler: Bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  Storage: 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, 1x WD Blue 2tb HDD 5400rpm, 1x Toshiba 500gb HDD  Case: NZXT H440 (matte black w/ case fans)  Case Fan (Top Mounted): Notcua AF-14 144mm  LED Lights: TOP LED 2x30 Strips

Peripherals:

Speakers: M-AUDIO AV-42 (pair)  Headphones: AudioTechnica ATH-M20X,  Keyboard: AULA 859  Mouse: Tecknet  Microphone: RODE NT1-A  Audio Interface: ZOOM R8  

Camera Specs:

Cameras: BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Canon 4000, Olympus OM-1, Zorki 4  Lenses: Olympus OM-1 Zuiko Macro, Regular and Telephoto, EFS 18mm-55mm, MFT 12mm, 25mm and 35mm, 50mm Jupiter 8, 50mm EFS

Software:

Editing: BlackMagic Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Cubase LE AI Elements 6, Adobe Elements

Phone: Pixel 4