Need help with my build

dog12345drew

Hello i'm building a pc and need a motherboard so can you suggest some?

so far i have this:

The Fractal Design Define R4

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB

Intel Core i7-4770K (LGA1150)

16GB Corsair 2x8G Vengeance DDR3-1600

Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC w/ EVGA ACX Cooler
psu unknown
i need to put a wireless card too

will this work and can i have help with other hardware

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $438.97

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-31 10:31 EDT-0400

4770K spews out a ton of heat so I changed it for the more recent and cheaper 4790K.

Hello i'm building a pc and need a motherboard so can you suggest some?

so far i have this:

The Fractal Design Define R4

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB

Intel Core i7-4770K (LGA1150)

16GB Corsair 2x8G Vengeance DDR3-1600

Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC w/ EVGA ACX Cooler
psu unknown
i need to put a wireless card too

will this work and can i have help with other hardware

cant help with the motherboard but for a network card i would go for a asus pce-ac68. Sorry i couldn't help with the motherboard :D

Also remember to follow your topic on the top right so you get notifications when someone posts in your topic without quoting you

If you don't already own the 4770k, get a 4790k instead (if you are only gaming save some money and get an i5 4690k, performs the same in games). A great motherboard is the asus z97-a.

I'd get an r9 290 over that 780, it's much cheaper and performs about the same. Also, more vram for high resolutions.

Everything else looks fine, but if you're only gaming, you don't need 16gb of ram, only 8 (2x4gb).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 or 7, Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1, Asus Maximus VII Ranger, MSI MPower Z97, Asus Z97-K, Asus Z97-A, Asus Z97-Pro - pick the one that fits your budget

Also, you should get a 4790K if you can, instead of the 4770K because of way lower temperatures when overclocking.

btw, what do you mean by psu unknown? You didn't choose a PSU or you just get a no-name one?  ^_^

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

i ha

If you don't already own the 4770k, get a 4790k instead (if you are only gaming save some money and get an i5 4690k, performs the same in games). A great motherboard is the asus z97-a.

I'd get an r9 290 over that 780, it's much cheaper and performs about the same. Also, more vram for high resolutions.

Everything else looks fine, but if you're only gaming, you don't need 16gb of ram, only 8 (2x4gb).

I have not bought it yet but ok i will have a look at that cpu

and i wanted 16 Gb of ram because wen i make it i want to do a bit of LAN partying and i have a lot of tabs open.

i wanted 16 Gb of ram because wen i make it i want to do a bit of LAN partying and i have a lot of tabs open.

Unless you have 50 tabs open or so 8gb are perfectly sufficient. Games don't use that much ram. You can always upgrade to 16gb later if you really need to, even if after that you can't go to 32gb it's no big deal because you won't need 32gb for a LOOONG time ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 or 7, Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1, Asus Maximus VII Ranger, MSI MPower Z97, Asus Z97-K, Asus Z97-A, Asus Z97-Pro - pick the one that fits your budget

Also, you should get a 4790K if you can, instead of the 4770K because of way lower temperatures when overclocking.

btw, what do you mean by psu unknown? You didn't choose a PSU or you just get a no-name one?  ^_^

have not got one yet

I would always recommend to buy the cheapest mobo you can find, the performance is almost the sale if you are not planning to OC, save a couple bucks there and use them in another part such as GPU

Hey there,

If you are going to use that only for gaming I would say i7 is a little overkill and I would go with i5 4690k (if you are overclocking, if not - just the 4690). Also 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM should be enough if you are not engaging in content creation. 

WD Black is surely a great drive for gaming and heavier programs and should be perfect for your build. In case you downgrade the RAM and CPU, you can get a larger drive and still keep your budget lower or the same.

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/