When the right time to buy a 4K rig?

machinsk

Hey Guys,

I made some money this summer and I want to buy an all out 4K gaming rig, but with DDR4 and a new generation of graphics cards around the corner, is now the right time to buy? Or will the wait be worth the upgrade? This is what I was looking at buying, prices were a little cheaper a week ago, I'll have to update it again. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? I'm just looking for performance and price. I don't care too much about how it looks. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/machinsk/saved/3pcG3C

I admire your budget

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Wait for the new cards.

Congrats for 8000 posts!

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

@machinsk Buy it when you want it, maybe wait a month or so to see what the new cards bring to the table but to be honest I doubt we'll see a huge performance increase. If you're looking for bang-for-the-buck 4k the best you could possibly get at this moment in time is crossfire r9 290s. The 295x2 is too expensive for what it is. Also go for the 4790k and a z97 motherboard, it doesn't make sense to buy older hardware.

@Askew gratz on 8k posts :D

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

When its included by default in all the video cards.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Right now for everything except the GPUs. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

There will be the 9 series gpus from nvidia, the haswell-e Intel chips, ddr4 memory. You'll be tons better if you wait to at least see if all that is worth it

There will be the 9 series gpus from nvidia, the haswell-e Intel chips, ddr4 memory. You'll be tons better if you wait to at least see if all that is worth it

I cant find the link to nvidia giving info about the new cards being 900 series. Could you please point me in the right direction. I would love to read it. Thanks.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I think its gonna be good in a year or 2 (performance wise)

Let's agree to disagree

I cant find the link to nvidia giving info about the new cards being 900 series. Could you please point me in the right direction. I would love to read it. Thanks.

I said 9 series but we're not sure if that's really gonna be the name, still, those cards will kick ass

In my opinion the right time to buy 4k pc and get benfit from what you pay for when these things release

Windows 9 , Boaredwell cpu or Skylake cpu , z170 motherboards , Nvidia 800 series ( 2015 Q3 at least)

If you need pc these days go with 2k pc , it's the right choice

When 4K IPS monitor costs the same as a 1080p IPS monitor now

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

Probably in a few years from now when monitors go down in price, when single GPUs become powerful enough in a generation or two (or three?), and when you could get more than 30 fps playing on them.

With your (incredible) budget, price-to-performance is probably not a consideration, so you can do it now...it just won't be an optimal experience yet.