Gamespots' interesting GPU article.

marldorthegreat
Go to solution Solved by Anthony10,

Is there a discussion "area"

I would put it in general discussion in the future.

when it comes to picking a graphics card for your gaming PC, there are just two companies making cards that'll make your games look pretty and smooth: AMD and Nvidia. With capable GPUs from both companies going for as little as $100 these days, it's easy to take these marvels of pixel-pushing-power for granted. But this commoditization of 3D graphics hasn't been the smoothest of journeys. Since the introduction of the groundbreaking $300 3dfx back in 1996, a market that once saw over 20 different companies competing for 3D GPU domination has seen bankruptcies, buyouts, and ever increasing research and development costs reduce it to just two major players (integrated graphics from Intel notwithstanding).

SOURCE: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-past-present-and-future-of-the-gpu-according-t/1100-6421893/

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

K? Did you just come out of hibernation from 2000?

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Is there a discussion "area"

I would put it in general discussion in the future.

Well it better than IGN's usual "look at this insanely expensive Titan - Z that every pc gamer needs to run at max setting" and thus giving the stereotype that pc gaming is crazy expensive

AMD & NVIDIA should merge!

haha that would just create a monopoly lawsuit and then they would just go back to NV and AMD

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

At the high end, it's hard to recommend anything but Nvidia GPUs. While they cost a little more than their AMD counterparts, the GTX 780 ($519) andGTX 780 Ti ($719) will churn through almost anything you throw at them; they're also extremely power efficient, and they feature Nvidia's excellent quiet, all-metal cooler. AMD's high-end GPUs tend to run rather hot by comparison, meaning you've got to work harder to keep your PC cool. Plus, you get access to all of Nvidia's other goodies like Shadow Play and GeForce Experience.

Why the heck are they not mentioning the r9 290(x)? I'm disappointed.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Well it better than IGN's usual "look at this insanely expensive Titan - Z that every pc gamer needs to run at max setting" and thus giving the stereotype that pc gaming is crazy expensive

haha that would just create a monopoly lawsuit and then they would just go back to NV and AMD

Monopolies are illegal?

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Monopolies are illegal?

Yep. I do believe that a while ago when Apple was in trouble, Microsoft helped to bail them out, so that there wasn't a monopoly on the computing market. (Not 100% sure as to the legitimacy of this, considering Linux)

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

The highest end vid cards are the dual gpu cards right? so if the r9 295x2 > titan z then surely amd has the better high end video card option.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

No, Valve is turning into one

I think monopoly means total control, not total independence like Valve. For example if AMD and Nvidia merged that company would be the only company that makes GPUs, Valve may have total independance, but Steam is not the only stor that can sell games, and Valve is not developer that can make games. 

AMD & NVIDIA should merge!

Before AMD bought ATI, they went to Nvidia with a merger offer, and Ruiz just couldn't accept being #2 in said merger.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The highest end vid cards are the dual gpu cards right? so if the r9 295x2 > titan z then surely amd has the better high end video card option.

That is purpose-dependent and from an engineering standpoint the Titan Z is the superior card. If you put the 295x2 cooler on a Titan Z then the Z would absolutely dominate in gaming performance, but the 295x2 required it because it's a 500-watt card, not because AMD just wanted it to push the limits.

But either way I'm not restarting this flame war.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That is purpose-dependent and from an engineering standpoint the Titan Z is the superior card. If you put the 295x2 cooler on a Titan Z then the Z would absolutely dominate in gaming performance, but the 295x2 required it because it's a 500-watt card, not because AMD just wanted it to push the limits.

But either way I'm not restarting this flame war.

But your argument makes no sense. The ACTUAL card is better. AMD put a better cooler on it, the r9 295x2 is a better for what most people use a video card for.

But your argument makes no sense. The ACTUAL card is better. AMD put a better cooler on it, the r9 295x2 is a better for what most people use a video card for.

Most people use a video card for building supercomputers. PC gamers get the spare parts. AMD had to rely on an insane cooling solution to compete. That's an engineering failure even if the biggest of enthusiasts but it.

Most people use a video card for building supercomputers. PC gamers get the spare parts. AMD had to rely on an insane cooling solution to compete. That's an engineering failure even if the biggest of enthusiasts but it.

My neighbors don't build  supercomputers in their basements. Neither do I or anyone I know.

I can take a pretty good guess that most people just use a GPU for gaming.

My neighbors don't build supercomputers in their basements. Neither do I or anyone I know.

I can take a pretty good guess that most people just use a GPU for gaming.

Let's take a logical look at this more GPUs exist in the server and supercomputer worlds than in any other market. PC gamers are a pimple on the giant ass that is the GPU market.

Let's take a logical look at this more GPUs exist in the server and supercomputer worlds than in any other market. PC gamers are a pimple on the giant ass that is the GPU market.

Well, you said that most people use GPUs for supercomputers.

I think you meant to say that more GPus are made for supercomputers.

Well, you said that most people use GPUs for supercomputers.

I think you meant to say that more GPus are made for supercomputers.

Both. Put the number of companies and server managers together and you outnumber the gaming community 2:1, with much deeper pockets.

I think monopoly means total control, not total independence like Valve. For example if AMD and Nvidia merged that company would be the only company that makes GPUs, Valve may have total independance, but Steam is not the only stor that can sell games, and Valve is not developer that can make games. 

THEY DO. IF you buy a game on steam and steam goes down YOU LOSE THAT GAME

Even more disappointing is the fact that they just compare stock cooler reference cards: Nobody but super early adopters go for high end GPUs with just stock coolers they either swap for water blocks or just wait for non-reference cards, in which case Sapphire 290 and 290x become a fuckton more competitive vs a nice non-reference 780 like the Gigabyte Windforce.

-------

Current Rig

-------

THEY DO. IF you buy a game on steam and steam goes down YOU LOSE THAT GAME

Total control means they're the only company that can do something, Steam is not the only place that sells games and Valve is not the only studio that makes games, that would be total control.