Fish Tank PC Submerged in Oil

Hello all and welcome, I'm just going to get straight to it. My computer maintenance class has the idea (thanks to our awesome teacher) of building a pc inside of a fish tank submerged in mineral oil. Of course this build is purely aesthetic and for fun. None of this has been confirmed but it has been done before. None of the parts have been picked no plans have been made, but if this were to become a reality what is your opinion on it and how would you go about it. If this dream does come true I will be sure to post he finish product, but don't expect it to be anytime soon.

Thank you, and leave your thoughts below.

Hello all and welcome, I'm just going to get straight to it. My computer maintenance class has the idea (thanks to our awesome teacher) of building a pc inside of a fish tank submerged in mineral oil. Of course this build is purely aesthetic and for fun. None of this has been confirmed but it has been done before. None of the parts have been picked no plans have been made, but if this were to become a reality what is your opinion on it and how would you go about it. If this dream does come true I will be sure to post he finish product, but don't expect it to be anytime soon.

Thank you, and leave your thoughts below.

Ask slick about it, I'm sure he knows plenty about fishtank pcs :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Don't plan on being able to remove and reuse any of the components. Getting the oil out of them is impossible. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I think there is a company that makes a kit for this.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The one thing to remember is, DO NOT put the Hard Drive inside the oil.  :lol:

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Ask slick about it, I'm sure he knows plenty about fishtank pcs :P

I recall talking to him in Teamspeak about it.

He messed up the motherboard for it from the oil and EVGA sent him a new one.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Unless it is one of those helium filled 5TB/6TB HDDs, they are air sealed AFAIK.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Or just use a solid state drive.  Those work in mineral oil (right?)

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

I think there is a company that makes a kit for this.

boring. 

Or just use a solid state drive.  Those work in mineral oil (right?)

yes. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I don't think you want to submerge a fish tank in oil, but submerge your computer in oil which is housed in a fish tank. Or some other glass container.

Thank you Captian Obivious  :D 

Some things to watch out for:

- Don't submerge mechanical HDDs (as mentioned).

- Try to keep the back panel connectors above the oil because if they are submerged you can get wicking/siphoning of the oil through the cables.

- Make sure the oil is circulating in the tank or you will end up with hot spots.

- Bare in mind that once the heat has moved from the components to the oil it still needs to get out of the oil so depending on the components you use and oils surface area you may still need a radiator to cool the oil.

If you need to clean the oil off the components later you can use warm water with detergent and a soft brush (taking special care around sockets, particularly Intel ones with the pins in the socket) or better yet a quick dunk in isopropyl alcohol, just make sure its THOROUGHLY dried before using it again and remove the BIOS/UEFI battery before cleaning. Also the oil will tend to dissolve thermal interfaces so you will need to replace that (CPU, GPU, VRMs and anywhere else it might be used) once you take it out of the oil.