New PC 'Hangs', can still move mouse but nothing works.

Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

Try reinstalling windows?

So I decided to build my own PC last weekend and since I've had Windows 7 64 bit (Not OEM) running I've been having issues with the PC.

A brief description of the problem:

So I'll be using the Pc and sometime as short as 5 minutes up to a few hours in, programs become unresponsive, wont launch and the wireless adapter becomes unusable.

My current system specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K with stock cooler

Mobo: Asus Ranger Maximus VII (Z97 Chipset)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600mHz 16 Gb (2x8Gb DIMMS in Slots 2/4 for Dual channel support)

GPU: EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC

PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2 Gold

Network adapter:  Asus PCi-E AC68 (Magnetically mounted on top of the case)

Storage:  Intel 530 SSD 240gb

Seagate SSHD 3.5" 2Tb

Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D (not that this should matter)

Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray reader, DVD RW

Things I have tried/notable items:

Malbytes Anti-Malware Free version- No Results

Super Anti-Spyware Free version- No Results

Avast! Free version is installed

BurnInTest v8 tests - No hardware issues

chkdsk - No errors

mdsched (2 Passes) - No errors

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I've tried to troubleshoot this myself for about 4-5 days so far with no success.

Also, if I have missed any information at all, please let me know.

Thanks for any help you're able to give!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The only issue i can think of is the windows.Try another version

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

The only issue i can think of is the windows.Try another version

Will give it a go, hopefully it's just a software issue :(

Will give it a go, hopefully it's just a software issue :(

I've had this hanging problem. Go into the BIOS and check if the SATA controller mode is set to IDE. if it is, then it shouldn't be. It should be AHCI. Changing it to AHCI will most likely cause a BSOD. Boot into safe mode and change it, then restart into normal mode.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

I've had this hanging problem. Go into the BIOS and check if the SATA controller mode is set to IDE. if it is, then it shouldn't be. It should be AHCI. Changing it to AHCI will most likely cause a BSOD. Boot into safe mode and change it, then restart into normal mode.

Made sure I was running this BIOS setting and it was auto set to ACHI.

Thanks for all the advice, I've installed windows again, this time from a genuine source and it seems to be going smoothly as of the hour I used it last night.  If I have any more issues I will be back!  (sooner rather than later >.<)

Made sure I was running this BIOS setting and it was auto set to ACHI.

Thanks for all the advice, I've installed windows again, this time from a genuine source and it seems to be going smoothly as of the hour I used it last night.  If I have any more issues I will be back!  (sooner rather than later >.<)

When you say "reinstalled windows from a genuine soure' does that mean downloaded the ISO from somewhere other than Microsoft before?

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

When you say "reinstalled windows from a genuine soure' does that mean downloaded the ISO from somewhere other than Microsoft before?

Perhaps... :unsure:

But the new one was purchased by me so I know it's actually real.

Either way, it now does seem to be fixed as I've had no further issues.

Perhaps... :unsure:

But the new one was purchased by me so I know it's actually real.

Either way, it now does seem to be fixed as I've had no further issues.

Yeh i'm not going to ask, glad it works now though.