How to review a motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,

Write all you have to say and each topic clearly before shooting, you need to say everything fast smooth and straight up.

Cover what people actually wants to see, included accessories, features that actually matter and make a difference that this board has and most of the others one don't. Read spec sheets and stuff on the gigabyte website and see what they didn't include, many times they skip telling the consumer what controllers they used (example: audio, network), also talk about expansion and description of each lane, gigabyte is always unclear with that; then mention the non-included stuff. Reading stuff on the box that we can get on the website or any other overview videos is bad and boring for your review.

Other important thing is how is the performance on the board regarding voltage regulation, stability and temperatures. Do some tests and show useful results about it, like temps on the board itself, usefulness of the bios when trying to do a proper setup and more.

Keep your video short (4-7 min), and most important, don't even bother doing it if you don't have proper audio, these videos depend mostly of the audio and your voice.

Hi

I'm gonna build a PC soon and I thought that I should review the motherboard I'm using (Gigabyte F2A88X-HD3). The question is: how do I do it? What should I cover? Should I just do an overview of what's included i the box, should I post some pics about the UEFI? Or should I run some tests too?

Thanks.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Watch other mobo reviews from professional reviewers and learn from them :)

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I'm pretty sure there already are professional reviews of that motherboard.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Write all you have to say and each topic clearly before shooting, you need to say everything fast smooth and straight up.

Cover what people actually wants to see, included accessories, features that actually matter and make a difference that this board has and most of the others one don't. Read spec sheets and stuff on the gigabyte website and see what they didn't include, many times they skip telling the consumer what controllers they used (example: audio, network), also talk about expansion and description of each lane, gigabyte is always unclear with that; then mention the non-included stuff. Reading stuff on the box that we can get on the website or any other overview videos is bad and boring for your review.

Other important thing is how is the performance on the board regarding voltage regulation, stability and temperatures. Do some tests and show useful results about it, like temps on the board itself, usefulness of the bios when trying to do a proper setup and more.

Keep your video short (4-7 min), and most important, don't even bother doing it if you don't have proper audio, these videos depend mostly of the audio and your voice.

accessories, board overview, audio, vrm, heatsinks, chipset, usb, pcie lanes, bios, windows software, overclocking and temperature monitoring (if you find a fm2 apu/board that has it working you get a cookie).

Thanks, but I won't be doing a video, I will just post it to the Member Reviews section. One question, how do I test the voltage regulation?

Thanks, but I won't be doing a video, I will just post it to the Member Reviews section. One question, how do I test the voltage regulation?

Basically you have to mess around with OC a lot, see if it can deliver specific voltages. Changing stuff from the bios and checking on CPU-Z, but lastly it's all about how accurate can you go.

Basically you have to mess around with OC a lot, see if it can deliver specific voltages. Changing stuff from the bios and checking on CPU-Z, but lastly it's all about how accurate can you go.

I will be using a stock cooler, so I probably can't do that.