Bottlenecks Pci-e + Cpu

Matthew12106

Just a quick question about gpu performance. I'm going to be upgrading to a gtx 800 card which is awesome. My motherboard has a pci-e 2.0 slot rather than 3.0 slot, and I'm thinking about performance. Now I already know from previous posts and research that barley any card can use up the full bandwith of pci-e 2.0 x16 (290x comes close) but if that's the case how come there is still (although minimal) a performance hit.

MNEnsCj.jpg

Also just on a side note I think the answer to this is obvious the 8350 won't bottleneck any hide-end gpus right 

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

@Matthew12106

The 8350 will bottleneck high end GPUs.  If you have a 60Hz monitor, the bottleneck won't be noticeable, but that doesn't mean a bottleneck is not there.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I've noticed a difference in graphical performance from switching to a pci-e 3.0 board and a 4690k from an a10 5700 apu and an asus fm2 a85-v pro motherboard which was only pci-e 2.0. The only thing that has changed has been the cpu and mobo, same graphics card. I now see almost no screen tearing at all, and almost no framerate drops.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

@Matthew12106

The 8350 will bottleneck high end GPUs.  If you have a 60Hz monitor, the bottleneck won't be noticeable, but that doesn't mean a bottleneck is not 

Ok now that that is over Really the 8350 seems pretty high end I mean like in some games will it cap because of the cpu

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

I've noticed a difference in graphical performance from switching to a pci-e 3.0 board and a 4690k from an a10 5700 apu and an asus fm2 a85-v pro motherboard which was only pci-e 2.0. The only thing that has changed has been the cpu and mobo, same graphics card. I now see almost no screen tearing at all, and almost no framerate drops.

That performance difference has nothing to do with motherboard, its the fact that you moved from an APU to a real CPU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Ok now that that is over Really the 8350 seems pretty high end I mean like in some games will it cap because of the cpu

I highly doubt it unless the game is both CPU and GPU intensive or you're running a ridiculously lopsided setup.

High end back in 09'.  Its a very old processor, and the majority of games will benefit greatly from having strong Intel cores, especially the minimum framerates which are the most important.  If you play games such as: Skyrim, Diablo III, Starcraft, DayZ, Any Indie Game, Any MMO, League of Legends, Assassin's Creed, etc.. they will not run as well on an FX processor.  Some games worse than others.

High end back in 09'.  Its a very old processor, and the majority of games will benefit greatly from having strong Intel cores, especially the minimum framerates which are the most important.  If you play games such as: Skyrim, Diablo III, Starcraft, DayZ, Any Indie Game, Any MMO, League of Legends, Assassin's Creed, etc.. they will not run as well on an FX processor.  Some games worse than others.

Ok that kinda sucks but I don't think it's worth it to upgrade my cpu. Let's just say the gpu at full potential l can achieve a 100 frames as in with no bottlenecks if you pair it with a 8350 what kind of frame rate would you get

Ok that kinda sucks but I don't think it's worth it to upgrade my cpu. Let's just say the gpu at full potential l can achieve a 100 frames as in with no bottlenecks if you pair it with a 8350 what kind of frame rate would you get

Depends on the game and the GPU.

That performance difference has nothing to do with motherboard, its the fact that you moved from an APU to a real CPU.

I was using the same gtx660 on both systems, wasn't using the apu for graphics (made the noob mistake of buying an APU)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeah I guess but if you go to 2:38 on this video which are the gaming benchmarks it doesn't seem that bad compared to a 4770k

Do you think it's still worth it to get a high end card like the 880 when it comes out

Most games I play are like bf4 titanfall Tomb raider saints row 4 Nosgoth which is what I'm playing now stuff like that 

Most games I play are like bf4 titanfall Tomb raider saints row 4 Nosgoth which is what I'm playing now stuff like that 

For those games, doesn't make sense to switch.  Stick with what you have.

I'm not quite sure what Nosgoth is, it sounds MMO-Like.  That may run kind of choppy on an FX.

For those games, doesn't make sense to switch.  Stick with what you have.

I'm not quite sure what Nosgoth is, it sounds MMO-Like.  That may run kind of choppy on an FX.

No it's just a 4v4 Humans vs Vampire combat game it's in beta right now but you can become a founder for like £3 It's allot of fun

For 60hz monitor you are good to go with the 8350. Above 60, it's gonna be disappointing.

Consider changing to blue team if you take the next step and buy a high refresh rate monitor.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

For 60hz monitor you are good to go with the 8350. Above 60, it's gonna be disappointing.

Consider changing to blue team if you take the next step and buy a high refresh rate monitor.

I think I'm happy with 60hz I mean I never tried anything else but when you say that are you basically saying it will achieve higher the 60 fps or what do you mean

I think I'm happy with 60hz I mean I never tried anything else but when you say that are you basically saying it will achieve higher the 60 fps or what do you mean

I mean exactly this   v

@Matthew12106

The 8350 will bottleneck high end GPUs.  If you have a 60Hz monitor, the bottleneck won't be noticeable, but that doesn't mean a bottleneck is not there.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

It's not worth spending $300-500 on a new CPU/Motherboard, stick with what you have until the next gen CPUs come out. Since you have a 60hz monitor just focus on 60FPS which the FX will be fine at achieving in the games you play. 

As you can see in the benchmark the Titan doesn't even bottleneck with 2.0 x8, it will be highly unlikely that the 800 series will bottleneck 2.0 x16. Just wait for some benchmarks until you purchase a new card you want. 

It's not worth spending $300-500 on a new CPU/Motherboard, stick with what you have until the next gen CPUs come out. Since you have a 60hz monitor just focus on 60FPS which the FX will be fine at achieving in the games you play. 

As you can see in the benchmark the Titan doesn't even bottleneck with 2.0 x8, it will be highly unlikely that the 800 series will bottleneck 2.0 x16. Just wait for some benchmarks until you purchase a new card you want. 

From some research it's only going to be a very small diference anyway

From some research it's only going to be a very small diference anyway

Exactly not worth the money that can be spent elsewhere. 

Is everyone forgetting that the 800 series cards are supposed to get DirectX 12? Ofc, it won't affect games already made but I would say that your 8350 would benefit in the future.

Do you realise that some SLI systems run at PCI-e 4x and they don't bottleneck? (ignore poor scaling)

Do you realise that Sli not work on 4X ?

8x is minimal

THats not possible.

sli does not work on X4, only on 16x or 8x

You can only crosfire on 4x.

But in the case of that topic they talk about an old GTX470, maybe it worked on 4x with those old cards.

But the newer ones definitely not.

Why do you think that for Sli support on intel you need a Z series chipset board? Right because you get 20 pci-e lanes x16/x8/x4 you are able the run a Sli at 8x. H series chipset boards lack on the support of sli, because you only get an X16 /X4 slot.

Same story with AMD

970 chipset only X fire, cause X16/X4 slot.

990X - X16 /X8 /X4 so you could run sli on 8x

990FX - X16 X4 X16 X4 you can run ali on 16x

Same stupid statement that i read allot: "you should go intel Z87 /Z97 over AMD 990FX because 990FX is an old chipset and only has pci-e 2.0...."

But those people dont same to realise that the 20 pci-e 3.0 lanes you get on Z87/Z97 are just as fast as the 40 pci-e 2.0 lanes you get with the AMD 990FX chipset. it doesn´t make a jackshit diffrence.

Unless you buy those realy over expensive Z97 boards with a useless plx chip, gimmicky thingy.

I have no idea what you just said.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case