Headphone Help (Budget <200$)

GoodBytes

Hello,

For a number of years I am trying to find decent pair of headphones, and I hope you guys can help me, so that I can finally get a nice pair. I finally have the budget for.

So this is my situation:

-> My budget is not locked in. If it's more, and worth the premium, then I'll go for it.

-> I prefer closed headphones, for privacy. I tend to listen to a lot of music (albeit in mostly MP3 format, as I mostly use XBox Music subscription service). I listen to music when I study, program, and well I also play games, and that can happen even at night, which is why I need the privacy to not annoy other people outside of my room.

-> I have the ASUS Xonar Essence STX, which was a very nice gift from a family member. I have it for a year, and never really enjoyed it, due to the fact that I am using shitty headphones. Like SHITTY headphones. Modded to be closed headphones, Sony MDRMA500 which I got at 30$. It was the only pair of headphones that wasn't "SUPER BASS EXTREME!!!! we actually failed at making a headphones, but marketing team said to sell is as such! Buy us!" Surprisingly the mod I have done, made the sound better, surprisingly, out of pure luck. So, as you can imagine, yes, I am desperate for a nice pair.

-> I rarely use my speakers. I basically use them when I have guests, and want to show a video or play games. So, comfort is important

-> I like the large headphones that goes around the ear.

-> Headphones will always stay at home.

I was initially looking at Sennheiser RS 170. Why wireless? Because I usually break my headphones over time by having my chair wheel on top of the cable. But then came to the idea that fancy headphones usually have replaceable wires which solves that worry, and also I tend to plug my headphones in my Surface Pro 2 when I am away from the computer, or WiiU game pad controller. Then again... I can rethink about my setup. (Maybe have a switch of some kind, that allows me to switch between PC, and aux, which can be a long wire that feed to what I want: Surface Pro 2 or WiiU gamepad.. or better yet, as my WiiU is connected to my monitor, I can pass the audio to my PC.

It's currently 263.99$ at amazon.ca: http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-Digital-Wireless-Headphone-Surround/dp/B002TLT10I/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408829295&sr=1-21&keywords=sennheiser

I am willing to go over budget in this case, because they are wireless.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-pc-89-81350-1046.htm

Custom one pro?

You can add a mic to this one, it's over ear, closed back...

The wire is removable, so yes, replaceable.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

M40X has a removable cable as well, if you want more options.

I'd advise against the wireless headphones, as that's mostly for convenience, and it doesn't sound very convenient for your other devices.

I will tag along with the choir telling you not to get wireless headphones. The price per performance is sub-par with an equivalently priced cabled headphone, and as ShearMe points out, using a wireless headphone would render your soundcard pretty much useless.

The switch you mention could be something like a pre-amp which takes the output from all your devices and lets you switch between them. However, then again you wouldn't really need your STX as you would never use the built in amp for driving the headphones as that part would be pre-amps or an amp chained after that job.

Also if you want to use wireless headphones with a portable device, it would render it less portable, because of the non-portable base station for the Wireless headphones. You don't have that much of a problem with wired headphones.

So really I would recommend a pair of headphones with a replaceable cable in your price range.

I second the m40x which is half you're budget and third no wireless

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Very good. No wireless headphones.

The Custom one pro's sounds interesting, however in a review they said that the inner lining of the plastic cut is bothersome to the ear is what bugs me.

How about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x?

The Custom one pro's sounds interesting, however in a review they said that the inner lining of the plastic cut is bothersome to the ear is what bugs me.

I can confirm this is a problem for some, the COP isn't "flush" can't think of the word off the top of my head. the COPs are more comfortable for me, not too sure if this is the general opinion. 

M40x is a better headphone. Comfort with headphones is hit or miss, you head may or may not like how the COP's fit. 

Why is the M40x better? Reviewers says generally that the sound of the M50x is a hint more warm, and a hint more bassy, and not too exact like the M40x, making them more enjoyable, and highly recommend them for all genre of music.

At least, that is from the reviews I checked out.. maybe I should look at different ones, better ones...

Why is the M40x better? Reviewers says generally that the sound of the M50x is a hint more warm, and a hint more bassy, and not too exact like the M40x, making them more enjoyable, and highly recommend them for all genre of music.

At least, that is from the reviews I checked out.. maybe I should look at different ones, better ones...

Sure, if you think a slightly warmer and bassier presentation is worth over 150% of the cost of the 40x.

Sure, if you think a slightly warmer and bassier presentation is worth over 150% of the cost of the 40x.

True. But they do say they are more comfortable, and requires less ohm (meaning I can use them on my Surface Pro 2, without the need of a dedicated USB sound card for the stronger amplifier to drive them) making them more versatile, No? Or am I complete wrong? (probably I am).

P.S: I am not arguing, I am doing a back and forth conversation so that I fall with the best choice for me. Just wanted to be clear, as I know, sometimes I don't express myself properly.

True. But they do say they are more comfortable, and requires less ohm (meaning I can use them on my Surface Pro 2, without the need of a dedicated USB sound card for the stronger amplifier to drive them) making them more versatile, No? Or am I complete wrong? (probably I am).

P.S: I am not arguing, I am doing a back and forth conversation so that I fall with the best choice for me. Just wanted to be clear, as I know, sometimes I don't express myself properly.

They use the same pads and have they both don't need much power. 

Ok. so it looks like so far the M40x is the winner.

As for the price difference, I think the way the manufacture sees it, is that the M50x comes with a third propitiatory cable which is sold at low low price of $25 (probably 5$ to produce, due to the special connector end needed, and I'll assume, with the benefit of the doubt, that the cable are shielded in some fashion, and not the tradition cheapo cable, and is solid), so the price difference is about 40$, so you get the slightly improved foam, full articulation, and apparently slighter sturdier construction, beside the slight difference in sound talk about.

I had a listen here of the M40x and M50x here: http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/headphone-shootouts/closed-back-headphones/audio-technica-new-at-namm-new-m-series-headphones (scroll down to the sound cloud player).

now it could be my wonderful Sony headphones proudly messes too much the sound ('wonderful' is highly sarcastically said), but the M40x sound better to me. The M50x sounds more 'roomier' which I know it will bug me, beside the slight increase in base, and decrease in treble. The increase in base, does make the sound more enjoyable/fun, but the treble reduction and 'roomier' effect, I see it as it will bug me.

Any thoughts?

So, now I have my eyes on the M40x, and I am nearing the buy button.

Are they any other suggestions? If not, I guess I'll order them sometimes in Monday. No point in ordering them now, it won't be processed until Monday, in any case.

Mr. Rarity has said to me that he couldn't hear the difference between the two in a side by side comparison, so.... if there is a difference it's very minute. 

The M50 got a lot of hype, and the M50X is just riding that train, imo. Consumers buy the top end model assuming it's the best because it has a bigger number in it, so it gets more reviews, so people but it because it's popular, and the cycle repeats itself. 

Mr. Rarity has said to me that he couldn't hear the difference between the two in a side by side comparison, so.... if there is a difference it's very minute.

Crap I forgot the link in my post: http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/headphone-shootouts/closed-back-headphones/audio-technica-new-at-namm-new-m-series-headphones (scroll down to the sound cloud player).

Fixed it in my previous post.

Crap I forgot the link in my post: http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/headphone-shootouts/closed-back-headphones/audio-technica-new-at-namm-new-m-series-headphones (scroll down to the sound cloud player).

Fixed it in my previous post.

Yes, I've see that as well. Kinda irks me that they did it this way instead of producing a simple graph. I could barely hear the difference between them on both my K612 and HD650.

Yes, I've see that as well. Kinda irks me that they did it this way instead of producing a simple graph. I could barely hear the difference between them on both my K612 and HD650.

Yea. Doesn't help that well my headphones are garbage, and that the music is highly compressed,

The way I was able to hear the difference is to switch between 2 tracks. Basically playing the M40x for 5 sec, and then M50x for 5sec, and have both playbacks in sync. The only time, it shines is when ti came to the EDM part. While I do listen to EDM I also listen to a variety of genres, so the M40x, is what, so far, won me over. And I am ignoring price here. Basically as long as it's under 200$ or so even 250$, I am fine. If it means I'll be more happy, then its worth it. As I said, I rarely used my speakers. If they broke tomorrow, I would buy some cheap low-end Logitech ones.

I would go for Audio Technica M50x and then get and Antlion ModMic 4.0 if you want a mic.

What is with this forum that people just drop in on a thread without reading the previous discussion.

Hello,

For a number of years I am trying to find decent pair of headphones, and I hope you guys can help me, so that I can finally get a nice pair. I finally have the budget for.

So this is my situation:

-> My budget is not locked in. If it's more, and worth the premium, then I'll go for it.

-> I prefer closed headphones, for privacy. I tend to listen to a lot of music (albeit in mostly MP3 format, as I mostly use XBox Music subscription service). I listen to music when I study, program, and well I also play games, and that can happen even at night, which is why I need the privacy to not annoy other people outside of my room.

-> I have the ASUS Xonar Essence STX, which was a very nice gift from a family member. I have it for a year, and never really enjoyed it, due to the fact that I am using shitty headphones. Like SHITTY headphones. Modded to be closed headphones, Sony MDRMA500 which I got at 30$. It was the only pair of headphones that wasn't "SUPER BASS EXTREME!!!! we actually failed at making a headphones, but marketing team said to sell is as such! Buy us!" Surprisingly the mod I have done, made the sound better, surprisingly, out of pure luck. So, as you can imagine, yes, I am desperate for a nice pair.

-> I rarely use my speakers. I basically use them when I have guests, and want to show a video or play games. So, comfort is important

-> I like the large headphones that goes around the ear.

-> Headphones will always stay at home.

I was initially looking at Sennheiser RS 170. Why wireless? Because I usually break my headphones over time by having my chair wheel on top of the cable. But then came to the idea that fancy headphones usually have replaceable wires which solves that worry, and also I tend to plug my headphones in my Surface Pro 2 when I am away from the computer, or WiiU game pad controller. Then again... I can rethink about my setup. (Maybe have a switch of some kind, that allows me to switch between PC, and aux, which can be a long wire that feed to what I want: Surface Pro 2 or WiiU gamepad.. or better yet, as my WiiU is connected to my monitor, I can pass the audio to my PC.

It's currently 263.99$ at amazon.ca: http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-Digital-Wireless-Headphone-Surround/dp/B002TLT10I/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408829295&sr=1-21&keywords=sennheiser

I am willing to go over budget in this case, because they are wireless.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Logitech UE 9000 is a great wireless headphone,here is a review of ATH M40X since you have more money why don't you go for a good portable amp like Fiio E11 to use with your smartphone?

http://www.krish-tech.com/2014/07/fiio-e11-review.html

http://www.krish-tech.com/2014/06/audio-technica-m40x-review.html

Logitech UE 9000 is a great wireless headphone,here is a review of ATH M40X since you have more money why don't you go for a good portable amp like Fiio E11 to use with your smartphone?

http://www.krish-tech.com/2014/07/fiio-e11-review.html

http://www.krish-tech.com/2014/06/audio-technica-m40x-review.html

Well, probably because an amp is going to be unnecessary with the m40x, in all likelyhood. And I think we've already established that wireless is not the way to go.

Well, probably because an amp is going to be unnecessary with the m40x, in all likelyhood. And I think we've already established that wireless is not the way to go.

I certainly felt the need for an amp using it with my pc.But with expensive motherboards,amp is not required.

I certainly felt the need for an amp using it with my pc.But with expensive motherboards,amp is not required.

Thanks Krishtrinity. However, I don't have any smartphone, and I don't plan to take my nice headphones out of the house at all.

I have an MP3 player, and I like to use inexpensive earphones. If they break or I loose them, I have no problem buying another 30-40$ pair on the spot. They usually break within a year or so, but the current ones seams to hold up quiet well. I use the Sennheiser CX200. The cord loves to tangle, but with the right size in-ear rubber pads (or what ever you want to call them), they sound pretty darn good for the price. They are FAR FAR FAR worst products you can get for the price. Believe me I tried a bunch of them.

Also, as I said, I have the ASUS Xonar Essence STX dedicated sound card. I personally, never liked the sound quality of onboard motherboards, even high-end ones. I can always hear the interference, even with shitty headphones like I currently have. Getting a Bluetooth headphone, will prevent me from using it with my sound card. I'll be replacing a 200$ sound card with 15$ sound chip from the headphones. Great if you use the onboard solution of your device, as it's usually a 2$ or 5$ sound chip at best.

The Audio-Technica M40x have an impedance 35 ohms, while my current ones (Sony MDR-MA300), have an Impedance of 40 ohms. At 40ohms there is no issue with any of my devices. So if anything, I wont' have to set the volume as high, if I am not mistaken. As for the weight of the headphones the Sony's are 245 grams, and and the M40x are 240g. No sure if weight is part of comfort, it doesn't seam to be. Too light might feel cheap though.

Thanks Krishtrinity. However, I don't have any smartphone, and I don't plan to take my nice headphones out of the house at all.

I have an MP3 player, and I like to use inexpensive earphones. If they break or I loose them, I have no problem buying another 30-40$ pair on the spot. They usually break within a year or so, but the current ones seams to hold up quiet well. I use the Sennheiser CX200. The cord loves to tangle, but with the right size in-ear rubber pads (or what ever you want to call them), they sound pretty darn good for the price. They are FAR FAR FAR worst products you can get for the price. Believe me I tried a bunch of them.

Also, as I said, I have the ASUS Xonar Essence STX dedicated sound card. I personally, never liked the sound quality of onboard motherboards, even high-end ones. I can always hear the interference, even with shitty headphones like I currently have. Getting a Bluetooth headphone, will prevent me from using it with my sound card. I'll be replacing a 200$ sound card with 15$ sound chip from the headphones. Great if you use the onboard solution of your device, as it's usually a 2$ or 5$ sound chip at best.

The Audio-Technica M40x have an impedance 35 ohms, while my current ones (Sony MDR-MA300), have an Impedance of 40 ohms. At 40ohms there is no issue with any of my devices. So if anything, I wont' have to set the volume as high, if I am not mistaken. As for the weight of the headphones the Sony's are 245 grams, and and the M40x are 240g. No sure if weight is part of comfort, it doesn't seam to be. Too light might feel cheap though.

ATH m40x weight is neither too much or too light,only problem you might have it may be a little too tight at first but will loosen up after a month.As for the soundquality i don't think there is a headphone at the price of M40x with this level of soundquality.You are right it doesn't need too much power,a sound card will be more than enough.