Installing a New Hard Drive

Go to solution Solved by Sapphire Dragon,

I've managed to Fix the problem :)  My friend brought over the Kit to plug it in via USB, the computer recognised it and I was able to make a partition on it and set it up as my D: Drive. Then when I re-enstalled it into the computer, I needed to set it up again in the manager, but its working now :) Thank you for all the help and suggestions everyone.

The only explanation I have is that it was completely blank, no partition, it didn't even know how much space was available. But hay, it worked, so for anyone who has the same problem as me, this is what I did: (keep going till it works, stop once it dose)

I went to Computer management (right click on your computer folder, then choose manage)

Looked under storage to find the second drive (for me it wasn't there, for you it should be.

Went to control panel - Device Management and scanned for new hardware (again nothing but for you it should be different)

In the Bios I enables CSM, you can find how to do this in you motherboard manuel.

I checked that I was using AHCI, this is found in control panel - Device Management - IDE tab

Checked computer Management and device management again

Then used a device to connect it to the computer via usb, set it up in computer Management

Re-installed the drive, and set it up again in Computer Management (named it and partitioned it).

Then I was good to go!

Hello,

I've just build my first computer, everything went fine, but initially I only had 1 120gb SSD. This worked for a week, but I needed more space so I've added a 2tb WD green drive.

I followed the same steps shown in Linus's SSD boot drive installation video, but upon start up I can't find the drive. It hasn't appeared in finder, so I went to Computer Management, and it only shows my SSD.

I've tried several cable configurations, as well as putting it in my hot swap bay, and with each it shows up in the bios, but not in windows. What should I do?

Sorry if this was already a post, but I read all that I could find but the solutions where to look in Computer management.

This is what I see when I go into the drive manager.

post-87522-0-65300400-1408689137_thumb.p

My system:

Processor:         Intel I7 3790k

Motherboard:    Gigabyte SOC-Force z97

Memory:            Crucial ballistix 16gb

Graphics Card:  MSI 270x 4gb

post-87522-0-65300400-1408689137_thumb.p

You need to go to the drive manager, format the new hard drive, then partition it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You need to go to the drive manager, format the new hard drive, then partition it.

this. When i bought my 1tb drive I had no clue what to do and i thought i needed to rma it....

wow, thats a lot of bees!

I've added a photo to the main topic, and as you can see, In drive management there is no second drive to format or partition. So what do I do?

are you able to get the drive detected with another PC?

when you first install the drive did Windows detect the drive and install the driver for it?

go to device manager and right click and select "Scan For Hardware Changes"

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

No, Windows didn't detect the drive upon boot, so it didn't install drivers. Under device manager I scanned for new Hardware, but it only shows the SSD.

I don't have another PC to test the Hard Drive, This week I built this PC to upgrade from my 7 year old Macbook pro.

This is after the scan

post-87522-0-14758200-1408692236_thumb.p

Instead what I was able to do was boot into the BIOS and look at possible boot drives, and the Hard drive shows up there. But still not in Windows.

just asking are you using AHCI?

look for the CSM mode and enable that

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I'm sorry, I have no idea. I'm Using whatever the default set up was when I installed windows. I looked up AHCI, but I have no idea what it means or how to tell if I'm using it. And same with CSM, you'll have to walk me though on what to do.

I'm sorry, I have no idea. I'm Using whatever the default set up was when I installed windows. I looked up AHCI, but I have no idea what it means or how to tell if I'm using it. And same with CSM, you'll have to walk me though on what to do.

you will have to look up your mobo manual

the settings will be under the general settings for your drives

I'm using AHCI, I found that, and I've just gone into the bios and activated CSM for legacy devises and other drives. But same result. The drive doesn't show up when I scan for new hardware, and Under computer management I still only have the SSD.

post-87522-0-34844700-1408694052_thumb.p

post-87522-0-62255400-1408694202_thumb.p

I'm using AHCI, I found that, and I've just gone into the bios and activated CSM for legacy devises and other drives. But same result. The drive doesn't show up when I scan for new hardware, and Under computer management I still only have the SSD.

attachicon.gifAHCI.png

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

looks like the only way is to run your HDD on another PC and format it with NTFS

get your friend to help you

look for the USB to SATA interface cables

@Captain_WD

some trouble with the Green drive not detecting in Windows and not seen in Windows Management

works in BIOS but not in windows

If you have a CD or USB handy you should make a Ubuntu installer (or other Linux of your choice with LiveCD) then boot into that and see if it can see the HDD. If it can you can probably clean and format the drive from there.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Can you try another SATA port on the board? Do this powered off though. Also make sure all your SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS, sometimes they can be switched off. I take it you can hear the drive spin up?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Can you try another SATA port on the board? Do this powered off though. Also make sure all your SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS, sometimes they can be switched off. I take it you can hear the drive spin up?

he said the HDD does shows up in BIOS

but not in windows

he said the HDD does shows up in BIOS

but not in windows

You're right. It's early :P 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

I've managed to Fix the problem :)  My friend brought over the Kit to plug it in via USB, the computer recognised it and I was able to make a partition on it and set it up as my D: Drive. Then when I re-enstalled it into the computer, I needed to set it up again in the manager, but its working now :) Thank you for all the help and suggestions everyone.

The only explanation I have is that it was completely blank, no partition, it didn't even know how much space was available. But hay, it worked, so for anyone who has the same problem as me, this is what I did: (keep going till it works, stop once it dose)

I went to Computer management (right click on your computer folder, then choose manage)

Looked under storage to find the second drive (for me it wasn't there, for you it should be.

Went to control panel - Device Management and scanned for new hardware (again nothing but for you it should be different)

In the Bios I enables CSM, you can find how to do this in you motherboard manuel.

I checked that I was using AHCI, this is found in control panel - Device Management - IDE tab

Checked computer Management and device management again

Then used a device to connect it to the computer via usb, set it up in computer Management

Re-installed the drive, and set it up again in Computer Management (named it and partitioned it).

Then I was good to go!