H77 and Z77?

What's the difference between H77 and Z77 motherboards, and will a CPU that works in a Z77 board work in an H77 board?  What about other hardware?

you dont have all the overclocking and tuning features, but you can run any 1155 chip on a h77 mobo.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

you dont have all the overclocking and tuning features, but you can run any 1155 chip on a h77 mobo.

That's what I thought, in this case, could you recommend a good H77 board?

Esentially the only difference is that the H77 chipset doesn't have overclocking features (I believe it can still be done, but with great difficulty) and I believe you are limited to only one full PCI-E 3.0x16 instead of being able to split the lane into 8x/8x. 

As far as good H77 boards, I'm using an Asus P8H77-I and I love it.  The P8H77-M LE is a great value too.

If you don't plan to overclock, I highly recommend saving the money and going with an H77 chipset.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

Esentially the only difference is that the H77 chipset doesn't have overclocking features (I believe it can still be done, but with great difficulty) and I believe you are limited to only one full PCI-E 3.0x16 instead of being able to split the lane into 8x/8x. 

As far as good H77 boards, I'm using an Asus P8H77-I and I love it.  The P8H77-M LE is a great value too.

If you don't plan to overclock, I highly recommend saving the money and going with an H77 chipset.

This is why I'm looking into it.  I'm building a recording computer for my father, and he's not planning on overclocking, so I want to try to take some money off somewhere.  Also, I've noticed that H77 boards are called uATX.  What size is it?

This is why I'm looking into it.  I'm building a recording computer for my father, and he's not planning on overclocking, so I want to try to take some money off somewhere.  Also, I've noticed that H77 boards are called uATX.  What size is it?

Hmm.  That's not something I've ever encountered.  They come in various form factors.  ATX, mATX, and mITX are the only forms factors I've seen them in.

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

Hmm.  That's not something I've ever encountered.  They come in various form factors.  ATX, mATX, and mITX are the only forms factors I've seen them in.

I'm actually looking at the Asus board you mentioned, on newegg, it's listed as a uATX.

If you only need one SATA III port and don't need RAID or Intel SRT, you could evenb go with a B75 chipset board.  I'm hesitant to recommend this though because if he's doing a lot of recording and storing lots of data, he might need more than one SATA III port.

Just another option.

I'm actually looking at the Asus board you mentioned, on newegg, it's listed as a uATX.

Indeed it is...  Well, looking at the dimensions, it's still an mATX board.  I think that might be an alternate and slightly older notation of mATX.  ASUS is pretty consistent with their naming schemes.  A board with -M is always mATX (as far as I have seen.)

I'm going to guess it's a play on the Greek letter "mu" (μ) which is M, and is the symbol for micro, so uATX and mATX are the same thing, like tk421 said. 

Taken from Wikipedia: 

cc3b5a2465899f03417fd4a970c1c397.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.