Built a budget PC for my little bro, it worked fine for a few hours, now won't turn on.

Unclescar
Go to solution Solved by Unclescar,

After resetting the power supply the computer turned on. It turned out to be a corrupted BIOS, but after a BIOS reset everything is back to expected. I took a few steps in attempt to avoid the problem again in the future so we'll see, however it is not a power supply issue like I originally thought.

I'll keep an eye on it and be ready to put more effort and money into it in the future.

after putting it together, everything worked as expected and fine, windows installation went smooth all parts working great right out of the box. I put a few basic programs and antivirus etc on there for him. All harddrives, the diskdrive, the SSD RAID setup, ram, cpu, gpu.. no issues or errors detected. I let him enjoy his new toy and ask questions before I left.
A few hours later he texts me saying that it went into sleep mode while he was doing other things and won't wakeup, but the keyboard and mouse lights were still on, though moving them or pushing buttons had no effect. then about twenty minutes after that, he said that both the keyboard and mouse lights were off, the computer was off, and won't turn back on.

aside from making sure it's plugged in..

Where is a good place to start with looking for issues? all parts are brand new aside from Mobo which was open boxed but still in new condition.
The power supply did have a bit of coil whine (which was odd for brand new) and if that ends up being the issue what is the chance that the entire build has been destroyed due to a bad power supply?

I'm going to leave for work in a little bit and then go over to help him work on it afterward, I'll be bringing my laptop so that I can refer back here.

Budget build, simple but upgradeable:
AMD 4130 + CM Hyper 212 evo (bios showed temp is < 30*c on idle)
GA 970A UD3P
Nvidia 750ti
16gb (2x8gb) Corsair XMS3 1333

2x Kingston V300 120Gb SSD in RAID 0

SolidGear 650w ATX PSU
250gb generic HDD (Salvaged from an old computer)
Diablotek mid-tower with included fans. (Great case for the price, used it before, fans are decent quality)

Where is a good place to start with looking for issues? all parts are brand new aside from Mobo which was open boxed but still in new condition.

The power supply did have a bit of coil whine (which was odd for brand new) and if that ends up being the issue what is the chance that the entire build has been destroyed due to a bad power supply?

SolidGear 650w ATX PSU

Try a different PSU. Never heard of SolidGear before....

"Rawr XD"

Did you make a blood sacrifice to the lord GabeN?

But for serious I did the same thing for my little brother with similar specs. I haven't resolved the issue yet since I haven't had time.

Try a different PSU. Never heard of SolidGear before....

I was thinking that was a possibility. Problem is I don't have an extra one laying around and I KNOW I don't trust the PSUs in some of the old computers laying around and Microcenter will be closed by the time I get off work.

Like I asked before.. If the PSU was the issue, and I swap out that for a different better one from a more known and trusted company, is there a chance that the other components were murdered ruthlessly by the original PSU? It wasn't an expensive computer but I would hate to have to replace every single part, and I won't be able to take it apart, box everything back up and return it in exchange for the exact same parts in a timely manner as after tonight I have a very busy work schedule til mid next week.

Like I asked before.. If the PSU was the issue, and I swap out that for a different better one from a more known and trusted company, is there a chance that the other components were murdered ruthlessly by the original PSU? It wasn't an expensive computer but I would hate to have to replace every single part, and I won't be able to take it apart, box everything back up and return it in exchange for the exact same parts in a timely manner as after tonight I have a very busy work schedule til mid next week.

It'll be quite hard to tell until you actually get a new PSU and try, seeing that the PC isn't actually working at the moment.

"Rawr XD"

Check all the PSU cables are connected, Try a difrent monitor as it may just be that. Check different

SNIP SNIP your Cut <3

AV/HDMI things lol 

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

I can't seem to find anything about SolidGear PSUs, I assume they're owned by someone else who want to keep it quiet. I would try a different PSU as suggested earlier, if you're lucky then that'll be the end of it.

There isn't a lot of info out there about SolidGear (except on their site) and most of what I've found isn't great.

Don't cheap out on PSUs, the small saving isn't worth risking your whole system.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

First of all, that is a shitload of RAM that he will probably never use.

Also, your cabling might be the problem. Or maybe someone just flicked the switch on the PSU. You never know...

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Also, your cabling might be the problem. Or maybe someone just flicked the switch on the PSU. You never know...

with the RAM, it was free. Extra ram that I already had and had no use for. I would have given him all 32gb I had but since he only benefits from dual channel not quad channel we decided 16 was more than enough already.

Cabling will be double checked and the switch on the PSU will be checked, though the symptoms don't match that. if the switch was.. switched.. then the computer would have just turned off and not gone to sleep first.

Well you did go with a solid gear PSU so thats the most probable reason. See if you can return it or buy like a Corsair or Coolermaster PSU.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Everything this man stated ;)

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Should have went with 8GB 1600.

First, irrelevant and unhelpful. Second, like I said before, I already had the RAM it was not a purchase that was made for this computer. Third, Linus himself has stated that the different speeds of RAM provide marginal improvement, and this computer will not be used for anything that benefits from faster ram.

After resetting the power supply the computer turned on. It turned out to be a corrupted BIOS, but after a BIOS reset everything is back to expected. I took a few steps in attempt to avoid the problem again in the future so we'll see, however it is not a power supply issue like I originally thought.

I'll keep an eye on it and be ready to put more effort and money into it in the future.