Asus R9 280x directCU II artifacts

Jinior

I recently bought an Asus Radeon R9 280x DirectCU II (R9280X-DC2T-3GD5) and it is showing artifacts. The screen has flickering areas and it sometimes shows black horizontal lines at the edge of the screen (picture included as attachment). The flickering occurs at idle temps and increases when stress testing the gpu memory using MSI kombustor. I have installed the newest chipset drivers from the manufacturers website and the newest amd graphics drivers from their website. Another strange thing is that the fanspeed stays at 40% even at full load and temps of 80°C.

Do you guys think my gpu is defective or would it be another component or software malfunction.

My pc is running a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate

My build consists of the following components:

MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

CPU: AMD FX-8320 with stock cooler

RAM: Kingston HyperX 8 GB DDR3-1866 (HX318C10FBK2/8)

GPU: Asus Radeon R9 280x DirectCU II (R9280X-DC2T-3GD5)

SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-128GM-C

PSU: Corsair CX600M

Thanks in advance,

Jinior

post-75847-0-22110700-1408538374_thumb.j

post-75847-0-22110700-1408538374_thumb.j

I heard it's a common problem with those cards. Try using a different version of the catalyst driver, if that doesn't fix it rma.

it's perfectly normal that the fans run at 40% under load, all aftermarket cards do that, simply because at 100% speed the fans tend to get loud and since lower speeds are still enough they see no reason to make it noisier. If you're unhappy with those fan speeds you can use msi afterburner to setup a custom fan profile.

Also @Jinior remember to follow your topics.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

always use AMD official drivers

and yes Asus AMD GPU are plagued by the VRAM overheating issues

it all over the net

you can downclock to reduce the artifacts problem

but we may suggest getting it replaced

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Increase the core voltage and see if it goes away.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Asus seems to only do a half-assed job when it comes to their AMD cards...

This is a widely reported problem that Asus apparently still haven't resolved. Of course, it can happen to anyone with any card, but I'd suspect you have a faulty card. Send it back and get one by Sapphire or Gigabyte.

I will try different version of catalyst center and if that doesn't work I'll return it and ask for an R9 280x from a different manufacturer.

also @The Lord Of The Rings thanks for the advice to follow my own topics, I'm not much of a forum guy haha.