AMD Radeon HD 7950 temperature question

Junes

Hello all.

I'm very new to this forum, in fact I just registered 5 mins ago so I hope I put this in the right section.

Here's the thing: Although it's not an immediate problem at all, I'm still a little concerned about the idle temps of my Club 3D Radeon HD 7950. As of late, I've been getting a constant 53-55°C just minutes after booting. That is with all my case fans set to minimum speed for reduced noise. When I set the case fans to max it can drop down to 47° but that usually takes a while. Under load it may very well reach up to 75° depending on the game (my record is 88° in Metro 2033) while the fan speed tries to stay below 60% no matter what. I'm well aware that AMD cards tend to run louder and especially hotter but I'm still not sure whether that's okay for an average idle temp or if I'm doing something wrong and if yes, how I could improve it.

Some specs (ask if you need more) of my rig (mainly used for gaming):

- i7 4770k @ 4.3 GHz

- Club 3D AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1125mV & 1030 MHz clock speed

- NZXT Phantom case

- Corsair GS 700 PSU

Thanks for any opinions in advance.

Use an air compressor or a can of compressed air to THOROUGHLY clean the shit/gunk/dust out of your card. Mine also ran @ 76 degrees in BF4 until I cleaned it yesterday, then it dropped to 63 degrees (Note: 50% fan speed).

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Interesting thought. I built the rig in september 13, but haven't cleaned the card yet so far, only the case fans. Will do, thanks.

Interesting thought. I built the rig in september 13, but haven't cleaned the card yet so far, only the case fans. Will do, thanks.

Also drop that OC, that may be what's causing the over-the-top idle temperatures. 

Also remember to read the CoC, stickies, be sure to use the search option to see if there is another thread that solves your question/inquiry and remember to quote a person so that they know you have replied to their comment. 

Edit:

Oh and also remember to follow your thread so that you get updates when a person replies to your thread. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Does yours idle at 300/150 when not in use... because it should.

If it isn't, thats probably why idle is so hot... if thats the case...being it stays at its 3D clockspeeds and not going back to 2D speeds.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Also drop that OC, that may be what's causing the over-the-top idle temperatures. 

Also remember to read the CoC, stickies, be sure to use the search option to see if there is another thread that solves your question/inquiry and remember to quote a person so that they know you have replied to their comment. 

Edit:

Oh and also remember to follow your thread so that you get updates when a person replies to your thread. 

Pretty pointless to quote when it's the first answer, but whatever. And yes, I just thought about it and it dawned on me that it may very well be the OC. Will drop it and compare temps, thanks.

Does yours idle at 300/150 when not in use... because it should.

If it isn't, thats probably why idle is so hot... if thats the case...being it stays at its 3D clockspeeds and not going back to 2D speeds.

I have to check that once I'm back home, thank you for the Input.

Pretty pointless to quote when it's the first answer, but whatever. And yes, I just thought about it and it dawned on me that it may very well be the OC. Will drop it and compare temps, thanks.

Well it gives them a notification that you replied to them, so they can come back and respond again. 

Also, no probs, as @SkilledRebuilds said if the core clock isn't dropping when your system is idling than that would cause some abnormal temps, that combined with an OC can lead to a very toasty GPU when idling. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Well it gives them a notification that you replied to them, so they can come back and respond again. 

Also, no probs, as @SkilledRebuilds said if the core clock isn't dropping when your system is idling than that would cause some abnormal temps, that combined with an OC can lead to a very toasty GPU when idling. 

Alright. Will check all that asap.

I'm not exactly super tech-savvy, but I'm trying to learn more every day. :]

Also check if you don't have any program that records desktop, I had Shadowplay enabled with desktop recording and my 760 was idling at 50°C

Alright. Will check all that asap.

I'm not exactly super tech-savvy, but I'm trying to learn more every day. :]

You can download GPU-Z and use the sensor tab to see the temps, active GPU load percentage and the realtime clockspeeds.

Upon doing nothing at all your GPU should be sitting @ 300/150mhz (the 150mhz increases if using multimonitor and can cause higher idle temps)

But at stock your GPU normally should be quite capable of staying under 50*c

Right now my 290 @ idle is 40-45*c, my old HD7950 from Gigabyte was 36-40*c idle, which means nothing without knowing ambient temps, which varies in my room anyway.

Are you using 3rd party programs like MSI Afterburner or anything to monitor your card, or just installed the driver and left it alone after that?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Also check if you don't have any program that records desktop, I had Shadowplay enabled with desktop recording and my 760 was idling at 50°C

Not that I know of, no.

You can download GPU-Z and use the sensor tab to see the temps, active GPU load percentage and the realtime clockspeeds.

Upon doing nothing at all your GPU should be sitting @ 300/150mhz (the 150mhz increases if using multimonitor and can cause higher idle temps)

But at stock your GPU normally should be quite capable of staying under 50*c

Right now my 290 @ idle is 40-45*c, my old HD7950 from Gigabyte was 36-40*c idle, which means nothing without knowing ambient temps, which varies in my room anyway.

Are you using 3rd party programs like MSI Afterburner or anything to monitor your card, or just installed the driver and left it alone after that?

I have GPU-Z installed, but I'm using MSI Afterburner to monitor my temps/fan speeds etc. I'm kind of a control freak when it comes to that, that's how I found out about my unusually high idle temps in the first place.

Are you using more than 1 monitor? It stops it from going into low power mode for some reason I found.

I'm actually using 3 monitors. Two 1080p 60Hz 24'' and one small 4:3 I use to display monitoring programs such as MSI Afterburner.

I'm actually using 3 monitors. Two 1080p 60Hz 24'' and one small 4:3 I use to display monitoring programs such as MSI Afterburner.

I do have a feeling that might be your problem. 

Those temps are totaly fine

75C is not realy hot for a GPU under full load.

55C on idle is a bit warm, but this is because you turned down your fans to the minimum.

Totaly normal to me. :)

Well yeah, however I kinda don't want to do without my extra ones since I'm actually using all three and got two of them practically for free. I'm first gonna clock it down to stock and clean out the card from dust before I take on more drastic measures.

Those temps are totaly fine :)

Fine yes, but according to my research on the interwebz still kind of above average, hence my concerns.

Yeah... I concur, Idle clocks being higher due to Multimonitor, although still looks like a few *c higher than it should be, but marginal is marginal.... (setting fans higher, yet inaudible, find your sweetspot?)

Fine yes, but according to my research on the interwebz still kind of above average, hence my concerns.

Temps are fine realy. 

You also need to be aware of the fact that those club 3D cards are clocked higher then average.

Just slightly turn up the fan speed.

How did you mount your psu by the way?

Fan up or down?

Temps are fine realy. 

You also need to be aware of the fact that those club 3D cards are clocked higher then average.

Just slightly turn up the fan speed.

How did you mount your psu by the way?

Fan up or down?

Fan up. But often the fan is not running at all since my system doesn't even remotely eat that 700W the PSU provides, especially not in idle. It's a tad overkill in that regard, but I want to leave options open for possible future CrossFire ventures.

Fan up. But often the fan is not running at all since my system doesn't even remotely eat that 700W the PSU provides, especially not in idle. It's a tad overkill in that regard, but I want to leave options open for possible future CrossFire ventures.

phantom cases have dust filters on the bottom.

rotate the psu. cause with the fan up it sucks air away from your card.

Maybe you could gain a couple of degrees there.

you can allways give it a try.

you wanne keep your psu airflow out of the case if possible.

phantom cases have dust filters on the bottom.

rotate the psu. cause with the fan up it sucks air away from your card.

Maybe you could gain a couple of degrees there.

you can allways give it a try.

you wanne keep your psu airflow out of the case if possible.

Fair point. I will consider it, thanks.

Terve!
Well that looks like a little work for me.

As far as I see, I will be cleaning the graphics card and applying new TIM, if it does not hurt the warranty of it.

Also, I do not think that a PSU fan that does not spin is pulling all the needed air away from the GPU.

I was a little concerned that the PSU would be suffering from dirty and insufficiant air, if I put the fan down and he has his PC on the carpet.

That is the reason, why it is on the upper side.

Also I think that there should be enough air flow to cool the card adequately.

Because I am a nerd on 7970 ( I own three of them) I compared the temps to mine.

The one I am actually using is running at 33°C, but that is under water.

The other one that still works has an idle temp. of 62°C - keep in mint that this is a reference card.

I am not worried about this card to die, because before I was doing a custom fan profile I had load temps of 90°C and higher.

Now I am in the 80°C range and not that worried, since this is the PC that does the least of problems of all my machines, including the one we are talking about here.

Hope others can benefit from this in the future.

Sayonara!

AMD Radeon R9 285 is scheduled for the end of August or beginning of September. According to SweClockers, AMD has finally came to conclusion how to name upcoming graphics cards based on Tonga processor. As you know that Tonga is simply Tahiti GPU with shorter memory bus. Tonga will entirely replace Tahiti-based cards in next few months (R9 280XR9 280). The only major difference betweenTonga and Tahiti cards is limited to frame buffer size and interface width. Like its big brother, this GPU maximum configuration will have 2048 stream processors (32 clusters GCN),

AMD Radeon R9 285