PC cleaning tips?

iAsuno

I am planning to clean my PC. I will buy canned air but will an air pump (baloon pump) also work? Also, are there any dangerous brushes to use?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

LOL air pump... Don't use brushes, cotton swabs are good. Get a can of air and some cotton swabs and you're good to go. And some Isopropyl alcohol is good too. 

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I am planning to clean my PC. I will buy canned air but will an air pump (baloon pump) also work? Also, are there any dangerous brushes to use?

Balloon pumps are hard to work with...

Don't use a vacuum without the nozzle grounded...

Don't use those static brushes...

Paintbrushes should be fine...

Best way to work imo is barefoot on a concrete floor...

Also, make sure the workspace is well ventilated... I almost had an asthma attack the last time I cleaned a really dusty PC...

Compressed air on it's own is good enough unless it hasn't been cleaned for years. then you might want to get a brush to help clean it out as well. Just gently clean it out no need to put much force or you may damage soemthing

This is how i do a full PC cleaning and it takes about half of a day.

1. Ground myself before i take out any component

2. I also use dust free rubber gloves(the blue kind)

3. I work on a wood desk, bare feet on wood flooring

4. I take out all the components one by one and set them aside.

5. Dismantle the case and all plastic parts like filters and front top covers get a washing with just plain tap water then they are dried off with an old towel then placed in front of a fan at high speed, then come back after an hour or so and just lightly knock them with my hand to dislodge any water from joints or nooks or crannies and put them back in front of the fan

6. I remove the motherboard battery

7. I use a mini air compressor to blow all the dust out the metal parts of the case and on the components if need be outside my home

8. I use about 4 sheets of bounty soaked with Isopropyl alcohol and then i squeeze the excess out and wipe the fan blades and housing of the case fans (i have a total of ten fans so one sheet of bounty won't clean all)

9. unscrew the GPU fans and use a sheet of bounty with Isopropyl alcohol on those as well then use the air compressor to blow out the fins and the PCB of the GPU then screw the fans back on

10. open the PSU and give that a good blowing out with the air compressor making sure not to touch the capacitors and wipe the PSU fan with another sheet of Isopropyl alcohol and then put the PSU back together again.

11. put back every component back in the case leaving the plastic parts off and do a test boot

12. Light knock the plastic parts again to check for water and if dry it goes on the case if even a drop of water is there (which is unlikely) it goes back in front of the fan.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Gosh please, get an air compressor.

They're barely worth anything and much better for the environment, it's re-usable too.

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-FP209499-3-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B002O15NRS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1408374830&sr=8-6&keywords=air+compressor

Much more force too.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

[CPU] Intel i5 4690k @ stock w/ Corsair H100i [Motherboard] Asus Z97-AR [RAM] 16GB Corsair Vengeance [GPU] Asus Strix GTX 970 OC 4GB [Case] Corsair Obsidian Series 750D [Storage] 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Western Digital Cavier Green HDD [PSU] Corsair CX Series 750M [Display] Dell U2412M [Keyboard] Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red) [Mouse] Zowie FK1 w/ Corsair MM600 Mouse Mat [Sound] Asus Xonar Essence STX, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Sennheiser HD558 w/ ModMic [OS] Windows 8.1 64-bit

is 1 can of compressed air good enough? also to the people who are saying that  should get an air compressor. no i won't. i am not in the US and income here is not as high. $20 is a big thing for people here.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Lick it clean. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

A high quality brush is fine, try not to get something synthetic because of static. Stay away from the vacuum as there is a tendency for static build-up and I always feel that something blowing away from my components rather than something trying to suck them up is better. though I do vacuum the front of my pc every now and then as the fans can cake a bit of fluff on the filters.

Yes people say get a compressor and yes sure its better in reuse terms apart from the eventual moisture build-up in the pipes. You need moisture traps on the hose and even then you do still get some moisture coming through. you do get some moisture with a compressed air can but if used in an upright position and in short bursts it is fine.

I always do a cursory blow out with air and then go into the hard to get to places with a brush to loosen the dust and then another blow out, this gets rid of basically all the things. you could remove and clean components as you go if you want it spotless and I do with my GPU every now and then to get into the fan properly but it can be a little overkill.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

is 1 can of compressed air good enough? also to the people who are saying that  should get an air compressor. no i won't. i am not in the US and income here is not as high. $20 is a big thing for people here.

You can get one for around 250PhP from Octagon/Micro Valley...

A high quality brush is fine, try not to get something synthetic because of static. Stay away from the vacuum as there is a tendency for static build-up and I always feel that something blowing away from my components rather than something trying to suck them up is better. though I do vacuum the front of my pc every now and then as the fans can cake a bit of fluff on the filters.

Yes people say get a compressor and yes sure its better in reuse terms apart from the eventual moisture build-up in the pipes. You need moisture traps on the hose and even then you do still get some moisture coming through. you do get some moisture with a compressed air can but if used in an upright position and in short bursts it is fine.

I always do a cursory blow out with air and then go into the hard to get to places with a brush to loosen the dust and then another blow out, this gets rid of basically all the things. you could remove and clean components as you go if you want it spotless and I do with my GPU every now and then to get into the fan properly but it can be a little overkill.

soo... wooden paintbrushes?

You can get one for around 250PhP from Octagon/Micro Valley...

saw one in octagon but didn't look at the price. thanks :)

I'll ask again. is 1 can enough?

saw one in octagon but didn't look at the price. thanks :)

I'll ask again. is 1 can enough?

1 can can clean a 1-year-haven't-been-cleaned-once pc... I'd suggest getting a small compressor if you're doing it often, but for me 1 can was enough...

1 can can clean a 1-year-haven't-been-cleaned-once pc... I'd suggest getting a small compressor if you're doing it often, but for me 1 can was enough...

how much is the small compressor and where can i buy one?

how much is the small compressor and where can i buy one?

Still looking for one at True Value, Ace, and a few other shops in Metro Manila...

This is how i do a full PC cleaning and it takes about half of a day.

1. Ground myself before i take out any component

2. I also use dust free rubber gloves(the blue kind)

3. I work on a wood desk, bare feet on wood flooring

4. I take out all the components one by one and set them aside.

5. Dismantle the case and all plastic parts like filters and front top covers get a washing with just plain tap water then they are dried off with an old towel then placed in front of a fan at high speed, then come back after an hour or so and just lightly knock them with my hand to dislodge any water from joints or nooks or crannies and put them back in front of the fan

6. I remove the motherboard battery

7. I use a mini air compressor to blow all the dust out the metal parts of the case and on the components if need be outside my home

8. I use about 4 sheets of bounty soaked with Isopropyl alcohol and then i squeeze the excess out and wipe the fan blades and housing of the case fans (i have a total of ten fans so one sheet of bounty won't clean all)

9. unscrew the GPU fans and use a sheet of bounty with Isopropyl alcohol on those as well then use the air compressor to blow out the fins and the PCB of the GPU then screw the fans back on

10. open the PSU and give that a good blowing out with the air compressor making sure not to touch the capacitors and wipe the PSU fan with another sheet of Isopropyl alcohol and then put the PSU back together again.

11. put back every component back in the case leaving the plastic parts off and do a test boot

12. Light knock the plastic parts again to check for water and if dry it goes on the case if even a drop of water is there (which is unlikely) it goes back in front of the fan.

IMO, cranking up the air compressor outside to almost max and blasting the system works wonders, takes 5 minutes, 10 tops if the dust is stubborn.

Still looking for one at True Value, Ace, and a few other shops in Metro Manila...

i see, i'll be going to SM taytay tomorrow. i'll search there.

i see, i'll be going to SM taytay tomorrow. i'll search there.

I might be able to expand my search further south by December...

For now , I think we can mod the cdr-king USB vacuum by reversing the polarity of the plug...

This is what I use & I love it, buy it once & that's all!

IMO, cranking up the air compressor outside to almost max and blasting the system works wonders, takes 5 minutes, 10 tops if the dust is stubborn.

The air compressor is a better buy in the long run but not all the times is it wise to have the compressor at max as the force of the wind can bend some parts without you knowing it if you put the air nozzle to close to the motherboard. 

The air compressor is a better buy in the long run but not all the times is it wise to have the compressor at max as the force of the wind can bend some parts without you knowing it if you put the air nozzle to close to the motherboard. 

I don't stick it in places it shouldn't be, I mostly aim from at least a foot or two away. It clears everything up.

I do have some common sense, occasionally.

If you feel like it... but I assume you are meaning a wooden handle which in this case is not the important part of the brush but what is is the brush part of the brush, a nice soft horse hair or any non synthetic bristle is a good choice, also make sure the head is secured firmly and properly, trust me a hairy computer is not a good look.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

I don't stick it in places it shouldn't be, I mostly aim from at least a foot or two away. It clears everything up.

I do have some common sense, occasionally.

:P  B)

:P  B)

Just trying to make the process not be slower than it needs to be.