Need help deciding!!

Hey guys, i'm kinda in a situation at the moment where I have no computer at all... :( I have enough money to buy some new parts but i cant decide whether to wait for haswell.....???

I'm looking at getting the 3770k/4770k

thanks!

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

What's your budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

wait for haswell, simple as that. or go AMD that is probably the better option to :)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

What's your budget?

My budget is around $2000 but more so my point was would the performance gain be worth waiting??

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

wait for haswell, simple as that. or go AMD that is probably the better option to :)

mmmmm :/    yeah I was thinking about that have you had any experience?? (I saw some of your posts talking about making an AMD rig)

I believe a AMD solution would be good for a low budget PC. If u have 2k to spare please wait for haswell.

mmmmm :/    yeah I was thinking about that have you had any experience?? (I saw some of your posts talking about making an AMD rig)

not really enough to suggest parts but i am building a amd rig and by switching it saved me almost $500 (granted i was going to do a ivybridge-E build when it came out so ya) but ya a fx8350 is only $199 and a i5 3570k is almost $250 so ya.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

I believe a AMD solution would be good for a low budget PC. If u have 2k to spare please wait for haswell.

mmmm thats what i've been thinking (waiting for haswell) just kinda desperate with not having a computer :P

My build is more than 2k and im still going AMD it almost doesnt make sense going for intel. 

not really enough to suggest parts but i am building a amd rig and by switching it saved me almost $500 (granted i was going to do a ivybridge-E build when it came out so ya) but ya a fx8350 is only $199 and a i5 3570k is almost $250 so ya.any of their cpus i wasn't quite sure.....

My budget is around $2000 but more so my point was would the performance gain be worth waiting??

I believe the best price point for optimal high end-ish performance is around $1200-$1400. You have more than enough and you'd be tempted to spend more than you need to.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

not really enough to suggest parts but i am building a amd rig and by switching it saved me almost $500 (granted i was going to do a ivybridge-E build when it came out so ya) but ya a fx8350 is only $199 and a i5 3570k is almost $250 so ya.any of their cpus i wasn't quite

My one worry with AMD (since i have never used any of their cpus) are they as responsive as intel chips which i am used to?

My one worry with AMD (since i have never used any of their cpus) are they as responsive as intel chips which i am used to?

what do you mean by that?

what do you mean by that?

As in when it comes to just moving around through windows do you notice any "slow ups"

As in when it comes to just moving around through windows do you notice any "slow ups"

no the CPU wont have much effect on that (a little but not enough to notice) I have a old AMD desktop right now and it works just as good as my laptop with a i3 in it and its a old cpu only thing making that pc slow is the 1gb of ram and the Crap filled hard drive :)

no the CPU wont have much effect on that (a little but not enough to notice) I have a old AMD desktop right now and it works just as good as my laptop with a i3 in it and its a old cpu only thing making that pc slow is the 1gb of ram and the Crap filled hard drive :)

hmmmm... ok one last thing that will be the deciding factor how long do you think it will be until online/microcenters start getting stock for Haswell cause if its on launch then I wil wait....

Here you go: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/105L3

I'm still not sure what your usage will be so this is what I've conjured up so far.

Went with the 3570k for it's sweet quad core performance.

The NH-D14 is a beast of a cooler while being very quiet as well. 

16gigs of 1600 ram should allow for some heavy multitasking.

Samsung 840 120gb--great ssd. Need I say more?

Segate barracuda 2TB for storage. I'm not sure how much you need so I went with the generic 2TB.

The 7950 should breeze through most games on max settings.

I just picked a case that would fit the cooler with front usb 3.0. In this case, the Antec 302 is a great case.

The Antec High Current Gamer 620w is more than adequate for this build and should accommodate for any more cards or drives you would want to add. I'm not sure if you need a Dvd drive though.

I picked a 24" monitor for the 1920x1200 resolution. Asus makes some excellent monitors. Maybe you'd want to get multiple displays or a single 27" display. I don't know.

The G710+ is an awesome keyboard with brown switches. I use it myself and it is quite the beauty. It's a good medium between the loud blue switches and the softer rubber dome keyboards.

I picked a laser mouse that looked decent. I use the G9x and it's a great mouse but I couldn't find it on the site.

The speakers, I just picked up off the site. I have not used them but it has great reviews on newegg. 

Do with this what you may. I would love to give you a more updated build once you give more information about what you want.

hmmmm... ok one last thing that will be the deciding factor how long do you think it will be until online/microcenters start getting stock for Haswell cause if its on launch then I wil wait....

launch date is supposed to be (unless im not up to date) early to mid june and they will probably have it the day of or within a week of launch, i dont know but that is my guess.

I would really suggest amd though and heres why

FX-8350, 8 Cores, 4.2Ghz, $200, Can Overclock, MB is cheaper.

i5 3450, 4 Cores, 3.1Ghz, $200, Can't Overclock, MB is more expensive

Case in point.

Here you go: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/105L3

I'm still not sure what your usage will be so this is what I've conjured up so far.

Went with the 3570k for it's sweet quad core performance.

The NH-D14 is a beast of a cooler while being very quiet as well. 

16gigs of 1600 ram should allow for some heavy multitasking.

Samsung 840 120gb--great ssd. Need I say more?

Segate barracuda 2TB for storage. I'm not sure how much you need so I went with the generic 2TB.

The 7950 should breeze through most games on max settings.

I just picked a case that would fit the cooler with front usb 3.0. In this case, the Antec 302 is a great case.

The Antec High Current Gamer 620w is more than adequate for this build and should accommodate for any more cards or drives you would want to add. I'm not sure if you need a Dvd drive though.

I picked a 24" monitor for the 1920x1200 resolution. Asus makes some excellent monitors. Maybe you'd want to get multiple displays or a single 27" display. I don't know.

The G710+ is an awesome keyboard with brown switches. I use it myself and it is quite the beauty. It's a good medium between the loud blue switches and the softer rubber dome keyboards.

I picked a laser mouse that looked decent. I use the G9x and it's a great mouse but I couldn't find it on the site.

The speakers, I just picked up off the site. I have not used them but it has great reviews on newegg. 

Do with this what you may. I would love to give you a more updated build once you give more information about what you want.

Motherboard?

Motherboard?

is in the link. I just talk about the parts below that.

is in the link. I just talk about the parts below that.

ah okay.must have missed the link

$89 for a cooler? might aswell just fork out $100 and get a h100.

no real need for the 3 gb version of the 7950, a regular one is fine.

the rest looks good, if you have big hands look into a func MS-3 thats a good mouse for big hands

ah okay.must have missed the link

$89 for a cooler? might aswell just fork out $100 and get a h100.

no real need for the 3 gb version of the 7950, a regular one is fine.

the rest looks good, if you have big hands look into a func MS-3 thats a good mouse for big hands

The h100 does not show up on the site. I also prefer air cooling and the NH-D14 is excellent at that and even beats out some liquid cooling solutions.

That was the cheapest 7950 I could find.

The h100 does not show up on the site. I also prefer air cooling and the NH-D14 is excellent at that and even beats out some liquid cooling solutions.

That was the cheapest 7950 I could find.

the h100 should and why do you prefer aircooling? you get better temps on watercooling and its cheaper (price to performance) if you are going to get a $90 aircooler. and pcpartpicker isnt the only place to look you can use amazon and newegg.

the h100 should and why do you prefer aircooling? you get better temps on watercooling and its cheaper (price to performance) if you are going to get a $90 aircooler. and pcpartpicker isnt the only place to look you can use amazon and newegg.

The OP's in Australia.

The Noctua NH-D14 is the king of air coolers and that's just plain cool. There might be pump noise, it wouldn't be as quiet. Air cooling is pretty much hassle free.