star citizen soldier combat and racing trailers reveal

pixeldensity

Technically impossible.

Perhaps. I know in your later post you said that a Network Engineer for dice told you it was un-doable, but did he explicitly say it was technically impossible? Or simply not feasible because they'd just need to have so much more server horsepower?

Unless I can see some solid evidence and or a paper/research on it saying in no uncertain terms that it's impossible, then I will keep an open mind. I'm not saying it's possible or impossible, but until I've seen proof one way or the other, I won't just dismiss the idea outright.

Also, FYI, Star Citizen will have both a Single Player campaign (Squadron 42), as well as an Offline/Single player mode. I could easily see a HALO Theatre style feature be implemented for Offline play (Both the Open Universe, as well as Squadron 42). And before you say it's an MMO, yes, sorta, but you can bet there will be plenty of people (myself included) who will at least occasionally play the Offline mode.

Having that recording feature for Squadron 42 would be freaking epic, and there would be no server strain (unless playing co-op, and even then we don't know if Squadron 42 co-op will be server based or peer-to-peer with one PC hosting).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Technically impossible.

Thing is, it's an MMO so all the data on what you do and where player Char is etc. must be transmitted in real-time anyway and hence could theoretically be stored in a tiny file and later be re-interpreted. In case of my example of World of Tanks, it's stored in a file that can be opened with the game client and the hole 15 min battle can be re-watched as many times as you fancy. The file itself is no more than 1MB in size...

All you'd need to do is set a time-frame for the part you want to save. Which could be as easy as pressing a button

Perhaps. I know in your later post you said that a Network Engineer for dice told you it was un-doable, but did he explicitly say it was technically impossible? Or simply not feasible because they'd just need to have so much more server horsepower?

Unless I can see some solid evidence and or a paper/research on it saying in no uncertain terms that it's impossible, then I will keep an open mind. I'm not saying it's possible or impossible, but until I've seen proof one way or the other, I won't just dismiss the idea outright.

Also, FYI, Star Citizen will have both a Single Player campaign (Squadron 42), as well as an Offline/Single player mode. I could easily see a HALO Theatre style feature be implemented for Offline play (Both the Open Universe, as well as Squadron 42). And before you say it's an MMO, yes, sorta, but you can bet there will be plenty of people (myself included) who will at least occasionally play the Offline mode.

Having that recording feature for Squadron 42 would be freaking epic, and there would be no server strain (unless playing co-op, and even then we don't know if Squadron 42 co-op will be server based or peer-to-peer with one PC hosting).

I'd love this to be possible i'm just not getting my hopes up, i feel that there will simply be too much stuff in the game world, they said that different servers will control different areas of the world so how will that work when you cross the server limits?

The engineer i spoke to said that allowing players to record the data would put the servers under stress making the game unplayable and the file sizes for the recordings would be approximately in the realm of GigaBytes/minute, this was their official response to people asking for Battlerecorder, everyone said that it was just an excuse but i trust this guy as he does a lot of data analysis for the servers as well and he's been honest with me and sharing a lot of information within limits given by his contract of course!

And Battlefield maps are specs of dust compared to the universe of Star Citizen, he told me that there's a lot of data involved with all the projectiles, grenades and map destruction, he said that maybe it would be doable in small TDM matches with 32 players max if they disabled destruction entirely, but to do so they would have to rewrite a big chunk of Frostbite and network back end.

Star Citizen will entire galaxies, solar systems, planets with activities on them, thousands of players, NPCs, physically accurate destruction and a whole other load of stuff, they've been speaking how difficult it will be to establish a good network infrastructure for the game and you're hoping they'll implement a recording feature?

Offline it would be feasible i assume, Squadron 42 online will be on the main servers and game universe, you'll see everyone else going about their stuff and your friends will be able to join you, there's no word about P2P.

Thing is, it's an MMO so all the data on what you do and where player Char is etc. must be transmitted in real-time anyway and hence could theoretically be stored in a tiny file and later be re-interpreted. In case of my example of World of Tanks, it's stored in a file that can be opened with the game client and the hole 15 min battle can be re-watched as many times as you fancy. The file itself is no more than 1MB in size...

All you'd need to do is set a time-frame for the part you want to save. Which could be as easy as pressing a button

You're comparing World of Tanks to what Star Citizen is going to be? Is a relatively small and plain map with a couple dozen players in tanks comparable to the most complex MMO created to date?

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

How the hell can you be making such comparisons? We are talking about what might be the most detailed and complex MMO created to date. No other past Cry Engine game had recording capabilities and it will not be possible in such a big game, the data chunks would be huge and it would put their servers under stress because they would have to let people download every single event around them as well as everything they have sent back to the server. Then there's also the problem of radius, SC will have entire galaxies, how the hell do you think this will be possible.

You did not understand what i said. I didn't say that no one else has done it, i said that it's technically impossible in what SC is going to become.

Star Citizen's engine is double precision-enabled, has its own netcode and navmesh system and is extensively overhauled in coding efficiency. You are comparing apples to oranges if you are comparing it to the stock CryEngine. (Which is a mess, one of the most notoriously spaghetti-coded game engines in large-scale game development.)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Star Citizen's engine is double precision-enabled, has its own netcode and navmesh system and is extensively overhauled in coding efficiency. You are comparing apples to oranges if you are comparing it to the stock CryEngine. (Which is a mess, one of the most notoriously spaghetti-coded game engines in large-scale game development.)

Give me a source.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Give me a source.

It's in one of their live streams, from april.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Star Citizen's engine is double precision-enabled, has its own netcode and navmesh system and is extensively overhauled in coding efficiency. 

Considering we can import anything from the dogfighting module into the CE SDK, it's not that big of a change. The base is still CryEngine 3.6.

Also double precision hasn't been added yet, it's still a WIP. The CryNetwork and CryPhysics systems have been overhauled though.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

I was not aware that there would be a racing aspect to the game. Now I'm even more excited.

You are not aware of many more things :P

They are really aiming to make Star Citizen a Space Simulator. There are even bars and shit

Technically impossible.

Why, halo did it. Sure it would be hard but it has been done before

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Why, halo did it. Sure it would be hard but it has been done before

Small console shooter is on equal grounds with an MMO in CryEngine which simulates entire galaxies? 

Alright.

Please stop drawing these idiotic comparisons.

Small console shooter is on equal grounds with an MMO in CryEngine which simulates entire galaxies?

Alright.

Please stop drawing these idiotic comparisons.

Its not an idiotic comparison. And I never said that it would be easy to do, just doable. It would be far more limited compared to something like halo, cod or BFs theater mode as you would not be able to look at everything that is going on due to hardware limitations but if it was restricted to the general area around you then I see no reason why it could not be a thing.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Its not an idiotic comparison. And I never said that it would be easy to do, just doable. It would be far more limited compared to something like halo, cod or BFs theater mode as you would not be able to look at everything that is going on due to hardware limitations but if it was restricted to the general area around you then I see no reason why it could not be a thing.

Yes it is, you don't see a reason why it could not be a thing? I've stated quite a few, all odds are up against it, and they probably wouldn't even waste time on it, we're years ahead of the finished product and you're already day dreaming about a recording feature.

Yes it is, you don't see a reason why it could not be a thing? I've stated quite a few, all odds are up against it, and they probably wouldn't even waste time on it, we're years ahead of the finished product and you're already day dreaming about a recording feature.

I'm not dreaming of a recording feature in this game, that would be the person who started this train of conversation, I'm just saying that you are wrong in saying that it is technically impossible because it's not. I don't expect it and don't need it but it can be done.