Intel Xeon 1241v3 or Intel 4690k

Go to solution Solved by TheRunningOtaku,

Well I'm building a gaming PC so does over clock make a Hugh difference in gaming,I also want the PC to stay cool

True, however for the price the Xeon performs better with multi-threaded work and is there for the future when you'll need it, so less money spent. Only downside is that you can't overclock them. So if that's not important to the buyer, I see no reason to not get a Xeon.

He could get a non-K skew and have lower power consumption, and lower price.

The Xeon suffers in single-threaded performance, so for now and for non-DX11 games the performance will be affected.

I suggest getting the i5 4690 (non-k skew)

Overclocking the i5 4690 won't give you a lot of performance now, since the chip is already quite powerful.

I'm deciding to build a pc soon and ended up with two CPUs to choose from. I could get either Xeon 1241v3 with a cheap motherboard or a 4690k with z97 board. Both option are around the same price but I don't know if one is better than the other. Does overclocking give that much fps and do I need to buy a CPU cooler(if I do then 4690k option is more expensive)?

What he said ^^^

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4690k for just gaming. Xeon if you need hyperthreading and such for rendering and video editing.

Xeon if you want the HT support for the future and you give 0 for overclocking.

What @Shd0w2 said and also if you want to overclock your cpu then get the 4680k. 

4680k...? Okay. I'm lost.

i'm mean 4690k

Refresh doesn't overclock any better than Haswell, they're just slightly cooler.

The Xeon is more for a workstation build. We need to know what you want to use it for. 

If you're looking for gaming, the faster cores of the i5 would do you much better.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

The Xeon is more for a workstation build. We need to know what you want to use it for. 

If you're looking for gaming, the faster cores of the i5 would do you much better.

But DX12, releasing in the near future,  should spread gameload more evenly across cores so it would benefit the user to have more than 4 threads in their system when gaming.

But DX12, releasing in the near future,  should spread gameload more evenly across cores so it would benefit the user to have more than 4 threads in their system when gaming.

Not all games will port over to DX12 immediately, and for now, the i5 gives a good balance between number of cores and single-core performance.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

Not all games will port over to DX12 immediately, and for now, the i5 gives a good balance between number of cores and single-core performance.

True, however for the price the Xeon performs better with multi-threaded work and is there for the future when you'll need it, so less money spent. Only downside is that you can't overclock them. So if that's not important to the buyer, I see no reason to not get a Xeon.

Well I'm building a gaming PC so does over clock make a Hugh difference in gaming,I also want the PC to stay cool

He could get a non-K skew and have lower power consumption, and lower price.

The Xeon suffers in single-threaded performance, so for now and for non-DX11 games the performance will be affected.

I suggest getting the i5 4690 (non-k skew)

Overclocking the i5 4690 won't give you a lot of performance now, since the chip is already quite powerful.

Thx all for your response, I think I'll get the i5.

Remember to choose a best response to close the thread! That way people know it's been resolved.